Question about swimming

Options
jyow01
jyow01 Posts: 123 Member
This may be a stupid question but I am looking at asking for a HRM for Mothers Day I do a lot of swimming during the summer. I was not sure if there is a HRM that operates in the water that could help keep track of calories burned. Or if I would just need to log swimming seperately. If anyone has some advice please let me know.

Replies

• iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My Polar FT4 says its safe to use in the water
  • shanzie227
    shanzie227 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 that works great in the water. The chest strap just needs to be as tight as possible so it stays on the skin while swimming. I don't know about like, diving, but I know it's wonderful for swimming laps. I think it goes pretty deep though.
  • Funshinerika
    Options
    I have a polar FT7 and the description said it will work in water... haven't tried it yet (pool water too cool still) but I look forward to it! Not sure what other options are out there but I love my polar! Hope this helps :)
  • jyow01
    jyow01 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the information this helps greatly.:smile:
  • jody75
    jody75 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin FR60 that can be used for swimming.
  • androde
    androde Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    FT7 is fine in water
  • KarenC88
    KarenC88 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have used my Polar F6 HRM for swimming quite a bit in the past. I have had it for about 5 years now (battery changed approx 3 times in that span). I have used it indoor swimming as well as lake swimming, and have never had a problem with using it in water....or out of water for other cardio activities (swimming/in-line skating/biking/indoor cardio). Just a note that you do have to wear a chest strap with this model - just be sure it dry off the sensor part of the strap after every use...this will save the battery life in it.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Interesting........I have an FT4 which it says is safe to use in water but I read somewhere that they dont actually work in water......