why is dieting so HARD!!!!

Options
Ok i keep trying to eat healthy, but its so hard. I don't know if i'm eating enough or if i'm eating the right things! I'm a student so i gabber to buy all the healthy things i eat while my family just sits around and eat chips and cookies in my face! I find myself slipping up constantly and it just makes me want to quit and give up. I don't know how to cook so the things i eat are really simple and i'm afraid that i may be starving myself by accident because i am so hungry all the time even though i eat healthy! Does this dieting thing gets any easier because i'm not sure i'm going to be able to make it, but i want to lose weight so bad i just don't know how to completely change my eating patterns and make sure i'm eating enough. I don't want to starve myself, but i don't want to overly eat either! I'm sorry this is so long, but i just needed to vent and none of my friends or family understands and its so frustrating! Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• childofbodom123
    childofbodom123 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Your diary is private so I will have to shoot in the dark a little bit.

Watching people eat the foods you want is quite difficult and I fully understand what you are feeling.

However the beauty of my fitness pal is that you do not have to deprive yourself of tempting foods. Whilst obviously you should have a balanced diet, if you work your day out you can leave the calories for a sneaky cookie.

Calorie counting is all about planning, if you want a cookie check your calories, if you don't have 300 calories left, then don't eat it, if you do then go ahead, as long as you keep within your daily goal.

That applies to any food, even an apple.

Your diary is private so I can't comment on your consumption or your diet, however if you are okay to do so, throw your current weight, height, age, your target weight loss and also how many pounds per week you wish to lose and we will work out firstly how much calories you need to be eating to make sure you are not over eating or under eating.

If you wish for even more help, add me as a friend and make your diary viewable to friends or public if you are okay with that! Otherwise I can only shoot in the dark.

Hope this helps :smile:
  • thatguy010
    thatguy010 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Most likely because people tend to overcomplicate everything
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Is it possible too that you and your family have a real problem with high carb processed foods? Meal planning can significantly help with this- if you are eating enough at your meals- you are not going to be as tempted. But I would also have a sit down with the family, tell them your goals, and how much you need their support, including not eating that way in front of you. If they are not interested in supporting you- which I get, everyones fitness is their own, not everyone is interested in losing weight or changing diet, but hopefully they can support you. If TV family time is a time everyone eats a lot of bad foods- time to rethink your schedule. I keep myself super busy every evening, so I am not home til 8:00 at earliest. Weekends are harder for me, but as you start to lose weight you will start to think of food for what it is- fuel.
    Also, diet is just a 4 letter word. We are all on a diet- but it doesn't have to mean deprevation. If you love a certain type of cookie or snack- buy it, but buy just enough for one serviing. I buy mini candy bars- and when I really want something sweet, I have one or 2- big difference in calories but craving is satisfied.

Stay on here- keep logging your food- your success will motivate you to push past temporary enjoyment of food- being healthy-there are no words for how good that feels! :)
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    It does get easier. It may take a little time and a whole lot of stubborn determination, but it does get easier. As you get used to eating a balanced, healthy diet generally low in salts and sugars (or artificial sweeteners), your body won't crave the salt and sugar so much. But that does take time and does require cutting way back or cutting out the pre-processed foods you might be used to eating because most are loaded with either or both salt and sugar. That's where being stubborn comes in. You may slip up from time to time, everyone does, but don't let that completely stop you.

Anytime you're feeling frustrated or depressed, just take a deep breath and remind yourself why you decided to do this. What is your goal and why is that goal so important to you? You're doing this for you! You're doing this so you can be a full and active participant in your own life, and the lives of your friends and family. Don't be afraid to remind yourself that you matter!

As for eating part, education is key. Learn to cook. This doesn't have to mean taking cooking classes or having fancy kitchen equipment and making crazy, exotic dishes. Get a couple good cookbooks. Cooking Light has cookbooks as well as being a subscription magazine. Or go to a website like SkinnyTaste.com or AllRecipes.com where almost all the recipes have nutritional information. Find something that looks good and offer to cook for your family. Simple ingredients prepared well can taste amazing. If no one in your house wants to join you in eating something healthy, savor your tasty food and tell them how wonderful it was. Once every week or two, try to add a new ingredient you've never tried before and experiment.

Bad foods can be eaten too. In moderation. If you can fit it into your calorie plan for the day, a serving of chips or a chocolate chip cookie isn't the worst thing. I am one of the many people on this website who preach measuring everything, because that is the only way I have any confidence how many calories I'm eating. I will weigh out a serving of tortilla chips with a food scale and a serving of salsa with a measuring spoon. That way I know how much I've really eaten. 160 Calories for a serving of tortilla chips doesn't sound bad, until you see the serving size is 10-12 chips and realize you could eat 3 or 4 servings without even thinking about it. Put that serving in a bowl, close the bag and put it away. That is where your will power comes in.
  • RCSimmonds
    Options
    I have been on the weight loss journey for 4 1/2 years and have just got to my goal weight after losing 53kg. I have had a number of strategies for weight loss but now try to eat un-processed foods as much as I can. I still cook etc but try not to eat packaged and processed foods. I find now that I don't want the "junk" food that I used to eat. I have just decided that I don't eat certain foods - fizzy drinks, chips, deep fried foods, biscuits. And you know what - I don't miss them at all now.
    I have found my tastes have changed and the last times I tried any of the above I actually didn't enjoy it any more anyway. I actually enjoy fruit more than lollies or biscuits.
    I find that if you start it is harder to stop, e.g. chippies. So I am better not to start.
    So I guess the answer for me is it is easy now, and it wasn't at the beginning.
    I save my exercise calories so I can have a spike day on a Saturday and I eat higher carb foods and chocolate!! Mentally this is really good!
    Hang in there - it will get easier.... but it will be a lot easier with the support of your family, so try and get them to not eat those tempting foods in front of you.
  • miss200
    miss200 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the advice, it was very helpful and greatly appreciated. I'm trying to make my dairy public and to log my food daily because at the moment i don't log it as often lol. I have tried to get my family to support me constantly yet all they do is mock me because i have said for years that i wanted to lose weight but never stuck to the diet. My aunt tries to help me out sometimes but all they want to eat is fried food and sweets. Three men in my family are the worst lol they eat out EVERY night.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Ok i keep trying to eat healthy

Stop.

You and most of the people on MFP have no clue what constitutes healthy. Healthy isn't mass restriction coupled with foods you aren't particularly fond of and void of the ones you do enjoy.

Here is something very simple. Take 10-20% of your current caloric intake and make those calories something you want to eat. It can be chocolate, pop (no idea why you would waste calories for pop), cake, cookies, ice-cream, whatever. Just make sure you're constantly recording your calories.

Eating healthy doesn't make you thin. Contrary to popular belief, eating broccoli, chicken, and cardboard, I mean whole wheat, pasta can and do make you fat since caloric intake is important.

So stop stressing, make room in your diet for foods you enjoy, and watch yourself have the same results and health as people who are overly restrictive.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Just in response to the topic, without reading everything else...

If dieting were easy, everyone would be the weight they want to be!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You know what? Slipping happens even with the best of us. I have new dietary limitations, and I still slip up and make myself sick! Literally!

It's not an easy journey, but it does get easier with time. The longer you try to stick with your new healthier habits, the easier it gets to stick to your new healthier habits. Don't get frustrated with a binge or a slip now and then, they happen. But you can do this!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It gets simpler once you get the hang of it. Still hard though, because nobody likes to be hungry.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It does get easier. It may take a little time and a whole lot of stubborn determination, but it does get easier. As you get used to eating a balanced, healthy diet generally low in salts and sugars (or artificial sweeteners), your body won't crave the salt and sugar so much. But that does take time and does require cutting way back or cutting out the pre-processed foods you might be used to eating because most are loaded with either or both salt and sugar. That's where being stubborn comes in. You may slip up from time to time, everyone does, but don't let that completely stop you.

Anytime you're feeling frustrated or depressed, just take a deep breath and remind yourself why you decided to do this. What is your goal and why is that goal so important to you? You're doing this for you! You're doing this so you can be a full and active participant in your own life, and the lives of your friends and family. Don't be afraid to remind yourself that you matter!

As for eating part, education is key. Learn to cook. This doesn't have to mean taking cooking classes or having fancy kitchen equipment and making crazy, exotic dishes. Get a couple good cookbooks. Cooking Light has cookbooks as well as being a subscription magazine. Or go to a website like SkinnyTaste.com or AllRecipes.com where almost all the recipes have nutritional information. Find something that looks good and offer to cook for your family. Simple ingredients prepared well can taste amazing. If no one in your house wants to join you in eating something healthy, savor your tasty food and tell them how wonderful it was. Once every week or two, try to add a new ingredient you've never tried before and experiment.

Bad foods can be eaten too. In moderation. If you can fit it into your calorie plan for the day, a serving of chips or a chocolate chip cookie isn't the worst thing. I am one of the many people on this website who preach measuring everything, because that is the only way I have any confidence how many calories I'm eating. I will weigh out a serving of tortilla chips with a food scale and a serving of salsa with a measuring spoon. That way I know how much I've really eaten. 160 Calories for a serving of tortilla chips doesn't sound bad, until you see the serving size is 10-12 chips and realize you could eat 3 or 4 servings without even thinking about it. Put that serving in a bowl, close the bag and put it away. That is where your will power comes in.

Lots of good advice here, especially about cooking. Teaching yourself to cook is a gift to yourself that keeps on giving. You don't have to jump into cooking every night. Just start with one recipe that looks good to you. Build from there by adding a new recipe here and there. Over time you'll build a collections of meals that you enjoy and are good for you. When you learn to cook, you take control over something that can make or break your weight loss efforts (and eventually) your maintenance efforts. Empower yourself to succeed!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Dieting is hard because you are genetically programmed to eat. Eating activates the reward centers in your brain. Besides that, you (and every human out there) were comforted with food from the time you were very little. How many moms/dads stuff a bottle (or pacifier) in a baby's mouth when the kiddo is screaming for unknown reasons?

I know I'm being geeky scientist here... but KNOWING that I'm programmed to eat actually helps me A) forgive myself when I screw up, B) accept the fact that its just going to be hard, and C) commit myself to trying again and again and again in order to accomplish what I want.

I'm stronger than my genetic programming ;)

You are too. You can do this. We just have to "suck it up" and "make it happen".
  • Karren188
    Karren188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Dieting isn't easy. But counting calories is easy. I have finally figured out a successful method to lose weight which works for me. I've set my calorie goals here and I eat what I want. I make healthy choices as often as I can, but I never deprive myself completely of things I enjoy. I do avoid fried foods as much as I can, but otherwise, I am still enjoying the foods I like and crave. You just have to limit yourself on "how much" you eat. Losing weight is about limiting your caloric intake.

If you have the capability of buying your own food - to start with you could watch for lean cuisines and foods like that on sale - and supplement with fruit & veggies. If you like sweets - the smaller sized rice crispie treats from Sam's club are really good. They have 100 calories - but it makes you feel less deprived.

Make sure to eat breakfast every day - and drink plenty of water - at least 64 oz daily.

Learning to cook is not so hard. A lot of it is using your imagination and realizing you are not limited on what you can do. I am not sure, but I bet you can find "learning to cook" videos on youtube to help you get started. I've found a lot of easy recipes on "Pinterest" and a really good website to go to is hungry-girl.com. There are websites that you can put in your available ingredients, and they give you suggestions for what you can make. There really are lots of others out there too. Please feel free to add me as a friend - I'd be happy to be a helper if you need one!!

You can do it!
  • miss200
    Options
    Thanks for the advice about the cook book, its a good idea because right now i'm limited to turkey burgers and turkey dogs lol
  • miss200
    Options
    Hi there!

Your diary is private so I will have to shoot in the dark a little bit.

Watching people eat the foods you want is quite difficult and I fully understand what you are feeling.

However the beauty of my fitness pal is that you do not have to deprive yourself of tempting foods. Whilst obviously you should have a balanced diet, if you work your day out you can leave the calories for a sneaky cookie.

Calorie counting is all about planning, if you want a cookie check your calories, if you don't have 300 calories left, then don't eat it, if you do then go ahead, as long as you keep within your daily goal.

That applies to any food, even an apple.

Your diary is private so I can't comment on your consumption or your diet, however if you are okay to do so, throw your current weight, height, age, your target weight loss and also how many pounds per week you wish to lose and we will work out firstly how much calories you need to be eating to make sure you are not over eating or under eating.

If you wish for even more help, add me as a friend and make your diary viewable to friends or public if you are okay with that! Otherwise I can only shoot in the dark.

Hope this helps :smile

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to make my dairy public, but can't figure it out lol. Anyway i'm 5'4 and i'm currently 218 lbs. My goal weight is 120-130. I don't know how much i want to lose a week, but i would like to be at my goal weight by December or earlier.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to make my dairy public, but can't figure it out lol. Anyway i'm 5'4 and i'm currently 218 lbs. My goal weight is 120-130. I don't know how much i want to lose a week, but i would like to be at my goal weight by December or earlier.

As someone who has gone back and forth and given up several times, I cannot overstate the importance of breaking down your goals into chunks or little goals. Set yourself a goal for this month, then next month, and every time you reach a goal allow yourself to feel proud of what you have accomplished, and to see all of the changes that you have made for the better. This will help give you motivation and determination to make it to your big goal - getting to your goal weight. Motivation is your friend, and it can be as much work to keep your motivation going as it is to eat healthy in the first place. It looks like you've already made some great progress (7 pounds?) so make sure to take the time to congratulate yourself on how far you've gotten, as you keep moving forward!!
  • msshiraz
    Options
    I have tried to get my family to support me constantly yet all they do is mock me because i have said for years that i wanted to lose weight but never stuck to the diet. My aunt tries to help me out sometimes but all they want to eat is fried food and sweets. Three men in my family are the worst lol they eat out EVERY night.
  • msshiraz
    Options
    I have tried to get my family to support me constantly yet all they do is mock me because i have said for years that i wanted to lose weight but never stuck to the diet. My aunt tries to help me out sometimes but all they want to eat is fried food and sweets. Three men in my family are the worst lol they eat out EVERY night.

This is very typical of a family with an eating disorder- meaning misery loves company! I know because I was in that relationship with family for years! The real problem for them is they would have to face their eating habits to support yours. And reality is no one is going to do it til they are ready.
    YOU HAVE TO STOP- STOP MAKING THEIR EXCUSES YOUR EXCUSES!!! I know this is hard, but trust me, burying your loved one who didn't support your choices is hard too. My father died at 63, 400+ lbs, and it wasn't til he died that I realized I was on the same path-and I had to change. I promise you, as you begin to get more fit, and more happy, your family will see it and may want the same for themselves. But if not you have to accept that too- you will be an outsider in their world where they love food, rather than thinking of it as fuel for the body.
    Also, there are no quick fixes here- it took you (and me, and all others on here) many years to develop the bad eating habits- you can't fix it all at once- but you can and have started on your path. I would open your diary for a while- get that feedback, (go to the help page and contact support if you can't get it opened). I know its fearful to have people know what your are really eating- or how much, but that is the best way to be honest with yourself and make positive changes- everyone here has been there- we are here to help each other in this journey :)
  • msshiraz
    Options
    If you go to my home at top- then you'll see settings tab? You click on that, on the bottom left you can choose to make your diary private or public :)