Headaches?

Options
On day 1 of my new diet, I had a headache by about 5 pm, that lasted through that night. Then the next day I woke up with the headache, had it all day and night, and today is day 3.. I still have it!

I haven't taken anything for it. I have a history of migraines and NOTHING over the counter ever works. Does this go away?

Replies

• RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I get migraines quite often too, but I noticed that they are a lot more frequent when I'm not drinking enough water. :flowerforyou:

Feel better!

Oh and most over-the-counter's don't work for me either, but I seem to get the best results with Excedrin Migraine.
  • TLawson
    TLawson Posts: 4
    Options
    Drink lots of water and if it doesn't get better you need to go see a doctor! Long lasting headaches are usually a sign of more serious, underlying problems. Also, do you drink alot of Gatorade or sports drinks??
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing. I'm so sensitive to getting headaches! bright lights, stress, loud noises! I'm on day two of my new diet. I drink 8 bottles of water a day and have been forever, so I know lack of hydration is causing this constant migraine. I'm guessing either my body is craving sugar or caffiene. I drank a coke zero at lunch to see if it would ease up and it didn't. I'm hypoglecemic so it's probably my sugar. I'm just going to deal with it and hope that all this eating healthy will fix things!
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm very headache-prone and have had every kind of headache you can imagine! But my guess-timate, without knowing details, is that you're not eating enough. I've had the "dieting" or "fasting" headaches, and have not had one headache since I've actually been eating properly, keeping my blood sugar on an even keel. Look over your food diary and see if you just might be eating high cal/low volume foods, and can replace them with low cal/high volume veggies and fruits. Also, add some ground flaxseed to each meal, and I think you just might find that those headaches have disappeared!

BTW... I agree with the other poster that you ought to see your doc and get a full check-up! Bring your food/exercise diary with you.

All the best on your journey to fitness!

Susie :flowerforyou:
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    Thanks! I actually have a long history of migraines, I have had a CT Scan and everything. I did eat under my calories yesterday, so maybe that's it.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds goofy, but I used to get terrible headaches at least 4 times a week, enough to put me straight to bed.

Then I started to drink enough water...

It's the truth.

but this may not be the case for you and perhaps you should see a doctor!
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    Ok thanks, working on the more water thing!
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    So, my boss just took my blood pressure and it was 142/95 which is pretty high. High blood pressure causes headaches. Causes of high blood pressure vary but I googled it and saw sodium as a cause. I added sodium to my list of things that the food diary tracks and i've went over my sodium intake by 3,000 grams today! The cause is I eat pickles just about every day. So I'm thinking this may be the cause of my terrible headache. I'm going to watch my sodium intake and see if my headaches ease up. Not sure if anybody else has this problem, just wanted to throw this out there too.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    Im glad Im not the only headache prone one here! I have definitely noticed that when I keep up on glasses of water I get less headaches...I still get headaches, but they dont always turn to migraines (yes I get em that badly)
    Exedrin Migraine does tend to help me tho, even tho nothing else ever does.
    I think it may partly be the caffeine in it.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    On day 1 of my new diet, I had a headache by about 5 pm, that lasted through that night. Then the next day I woke up with the headache, had it all day and night, and today is day 3.. I still have it!

I haven't taken anything for it. I have a history of migraines and NOTHING over the counter ever works. Does this go away?

Have you drastically changed your diet? Are you drinking water and enough of it-
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I get headaches easily. There are a few things I do to get rid of them. 1) drink water, 2) drink espresso, 3) do Yoga, 4) do cardio exercise, 5) get my husband to give me a head and neck and temple massage. And if those things still don't work, then I go for the drugs.
  • junebug20
    Options
    Have you switched from sugar containing foods to sugar-free ones? I get migraines terribly and my husband is type 1 diabetic. I used to eat all the sugar free things to support him but realized that they were contributing to my migraines so I went back to all natural ones that had real sugar (but sparingly).

Also, I know my migraines are not attributed to food other than maybe being a trigger if I am headed for a migraine anyway, but I know mine are caused by my hormones. I am seeing an endocrinologist soon to get my hormones checked. It might be worth it to you to find out what it is that really is causing your migraines.

Being well-hydrated is definitely something that will help, but I don't believe it is the main factor. Good luck - I can relate. :sad:

PS - You might want to stay away from foods that contain MSG as they can be migraine triggers. I went through an elimination diet for 3 months and found I didn't have any food allergies, but I learned a TON about food preservatives and the things you should stay away from. It is always better to buy foods that do not have preservatives, if you can. I am not some granola munching organic loving person, but I do try to eat less processed foods and I think that helps.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    maybe you aren't getting enough sodium, i just posted an article on here about the idea that you do need it, some people stay away from it but our bodies need it to function
  • nobleps
    nobleps Posts: 95
    Options
    It could be that you have changed what you are putting into your body. Examples of sugars and caffeines. It could just be from withdrawal from the addiction. I have had that happen. When your body adjusts, they go away. But help by drinking that water!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • TaeKonDomama
    Options
    I am headache prone. Since my son was born 11 years ago I have gone from about 1 migraine a month to where they are basically everyday. Some are worse than others tho. I have noticed lack of sleep, too much or too little caffeine, too little water, tension, artificial sweeteners, or my super biggie the weather fronts coming through give me the really bad ones for 3 days after they are gone as well as for however long they are actually there. so you can imagine I have read up alot on the headaches. One thing on the list that it took me a long time to realize was the sweeteners. I found out through my reading that the aspertame ( nutrasweet brand) that is in most diet products like the diet sodas actually have a list of several things that are side effects. The part that struck me was when it listed these as side effects from it: Neurologic
    epileptic seizures
    headaches, migraines and (some severe)
    dizziness, unsteadiness, both
    confusion, memory loss, both
    severe drowsiness and sleepiness
    paresthesia or numbness of the limbs
    severe slurring of speech
    severe hyperactivity and restless legs
    atypical facial pain
    severe tremors

there are many others too. So I searched up that newer one made from sugar but no calories. EEEKKK I found out it is made by splitting the sugar molecule with BLEACH and this is ingested in our bodys. After it has been out for as many years as the other we will finally be hearing about all the bad things from it too. I found our safest bet is to find stevia. I mean the real from the healthfood store that has not been prcessed in ways they haven't fessed up to. Or if you need a sweet for coffee or tea kind of stuff the oldest and best for you that is mentioned even in the bible (our instruction manuel) is old fashioned HONEY. Yes it has calories in it so you gotta watch for that but it is natural as can be (or BEE) I myself still need to get totally away from the sodas. I have tried to and I know they are bad for me, but it is a very difficult habit to break.I do drink plenty of water tho, even drinking soda. Some days I drink 5 or 6 bottles that are 20 to 24 oz. But summer Sweating is very bad here so extra water needed.
  • BobbieJo_1977
    BobbieJo_1977 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If you have cut out a lot of processed or high sugar content food, your body may br going through detox. Give it a couple more days. In the meantime take a pain reliever if and drink LOTS of water. The water will help flush the toxins out.
  • juliep63
    juliep63 Posts: 84
    Options
    if you've recently cut out all your sugar and/or caffeine, that could be a cause as well. your body goes into withdrawl and you can get mild headaches. if they last much longer, i would see a doctor though :ohwell: