First time marathon advice please...

I am debating on running a full marathon around the end of summer. I will have a lot off 5k's, 8k, 10k's and a couple half marathons under my belt by the time this comes around, so while I am not new to running, I feel a full marathon will be a whole new challenge in itself. If any of you have done 1 or 100, I would love to hear some advice or tips to help prepare me. I don't plan on going out and running my hardest, I just want to have fun. Also, how do you feel in the immediate days after....extremely sore? I'll be on a family vacation and would hate to ruin the fun because I am too sore to walk around. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    My biggest advice would be to make sure you are willing to devote the time to training. ~16 weeks of waking up at the *kitten* crack of dawn can be trying on your motivation (esp moving into the summer heat).

I would also say you need to have a MINIMUM of 20-25 mpw base (much better to have closer to 35) before embarking on a plan. Also, if you really want to do your best and be the most prepared you can be, ignore all these 3 day a week training plans. IME the best plans have 4 or more days a weeks. Personally, I think 4 is perfect for me. I found Hal Higdon's plans to be great. I used Novice II and added in a little mileage on to the weekday runs.

After the marathon I tend to hurt for a couple days. But then again, I also tend to recover my immediately locating the nearest beer and getting as horizontal as possible....bad, runner, bad!

If this is on a vacation, I might pick a different marathon in the fall to aim for. Just so some unexpected pain/chafing/exauhstion doesnt ruin your trip.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    ATLMel is right about training (and after marathon beers for that matter :happy: ) For my last marathon I followed Hal Higdon's Intermediate 1 training plan and felt very prepared for it. One of the problems you'll face is that you'll be training through the hottest part of the year so you want to make sure your routes are planned out and you have plenty of water available. Doing 20 miles when it's 80+ degrees out will be hard on you.
    If you search Youtube, you can find a pretty funny video of people trying to walk around the day after a marathon. I didn't really have too much of a problem walking after about 24 hours. My biggest problem were some pretty severe cramps - I yawned and my jaw cramped up on me! After you run, make sure you get plenty of fluids (even more than you think you need) and lots of fuel. Oh, and I wouldn't want to get on an airplane the day after the race either - I understand the the changes in pressure can be pretty hard on you.
  • nickyeatrunread
    nickyeatrunread Posts: 173 Member
    Bump! I'm doing my first in October!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    The best advise is to build up your mileage as high as your body is able to recover from and which you are willing to devote the time to. The better prepared you are the more enjoyable the race will be because 26 miles is a long way and it is even longer for someone on a minimal training plan. If you go into the marathon with a good mileage base then post race soreness is minimal.
  • PaddlingTriGirl
    PaddlingTriGirl Posts: 13 Member
    I ran my first marathon in November 2011 - I started running in the fall of 2009 to prepare for a try a tri that I hoped to do in summer 2010 (I have since done 11, from try a tri to Olympic distance!). Since then I gradually added distance to my runs - no more than 10% per week - to avoid getting injured. After my first 1/2 marathon I entered a 30 k race, and from there decided to do a marathon. I too trained through the summer for the race, but it was in November so my longest runs weren't in July/August. I tried to run first thing in the morning as much as I could, at least for the long runs. I also wore a camel back water pack so I always had enough to drink - I hated it at the beginning, such a different feel from just a waist belt with water, but it also allowed me to carry more food and gels. I am by no means a fast runner - I finished in 5:07:09 (but who's counting?!). I hope to shed 30 pounds and speed up my running!

You can do it - just make sure you put the training in, add distance slowly, and be smart about your training! :)
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    I rushed into my first marathon (and second as I was already signed up for that one before finishing my first) without adequate base mileage. It wasn't pretty. I cried during the first one and was hurt. Anywho, after that I was a bit gun shy (as one should be) with the distance and made myself be comfortable at a weekly mileage of mid 40 before even considering doing it again. Those marathons since have gone so much better. I am now training for my 8th and do 50-70 mpw.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I did my first marathon 9 months after I began running. Not something I would advise to anyone - but I don't regret it either. This time around, I"m slowly working on building my base. I followed the - non runner's marathon guide - which worked well for me and I have a friend doing that plan now, she just started running in January and her marathon is in October.

If I had any advise whatsoever, I'd say Cross Train! I ended up with muscle imbalances from only running, which didn't work well for me at all. I've now ran several 1/2 marathons, and have taken a much slower path to build up to my base distance. 1/2 my training is running and 3/4 of my time is cross training :) I now make certain I have an adequate balance of strength training, stretching, and running. I say 3/4 cross training because I spend time cross training on weights and other activities and spend an extra 2-3 hours a week biking.
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    #1 Question - How supportive is your family of you doing a marathon during or just before vacation? You never know what'll happen- good run, bad run- and yes you'll be sore- mentally bed ridden, probably. Physically bed ridden, possibly. If they are grumbling about it... not good. The benefit of the vacation will be you would probably be forced to do some leisurely walking afterwards- which will help A LOT. The downside- if you actually get injured (past the usual soreness) it's a little more troublesome to either self treat (epsom salts) or to go visit a doctor. I've done a half on a vacation and it was great- however it was the reason for our vacation (Disney World Wine and Dine). We had two family members that wanted us to go out and meet up which we had to decline, and honestly a large part of our vacation was resting before, being picky about what we ate, Hydrating, hydrating, hydrating. It's a vacation but you have to be really really conscious about what you do the day before and the day after. It's great if everyone is understanding, it's bad if they aren't willing to make a run to the closest wal mart for an ice pack and wrap.

The marathon itself, pssssh, that's the easy part :wink: Be prepared for some long runs, be okay with spending 6-7 hours running slowly if it's hot outside (you'll need to slow down a lot to not over-exert). I actually did a practice 26 miler 3 weeks before my race (I use galloway interval method). Worse run of my life- It was uncharacteristically hot and I had to walk for about 15 miles. took forever. Miserable. Actual race was much better- came through the finish line smiling and happy. We used the camel backs (in training) which are great but you'll still need to refill them so you'll need to map out that. You need to learn how to eat and pack for it and get used to carrying it. And there is something about the milegae. Honestly- up to 20 miles- piece of cake. 22 miles- not the worst thing. But something happens between that 20 and 26 that rocks your world (not always in a good way). And this is coming from someone who isn't even running the whole time. Just be realistic and be prepared to take as long as it needs. It's so worth it, and I strongly encourage you to commit and go for it!
  • jakilde
    jakilde Posts: 22
    Our vacation is to the Black Hills and Yellow Stone. So, a lot of walking will be taking place. I have been there many times but my hubby and kids have not. So I would hate to be a burden on their new experiences if I were to be extremely sore. Secondly, the marathon is the Leading Ladies. So, obviously all ladies but what drew me to it was it will be such a beautiful run! Yet, being in August, very HOT! There are the pros and cons. There is a half option too.

I totally understand having to build a mileage base, which I am working on doing. I have been following the Hal Higdon Novice 1. Thanks for everyone for the great tips so far! It puts things into a better perspective rather than looking at a calendar that says "run X miles this day, that day, rest this day". I really enjoy reading everyone's experiences.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Our vacation is to the Black Hills and Yellow Stone. So, a lot of walking will be taking place. I have been there many times but my hubby and kids have not. So I would hate to be a burden on their new experiences if I were to be extremely sore. Secondly, the marathon is the Leading Ladies. So, obviously all ladies but what drew me to it was it will be such a beautiful run! Yet, being in August, very HOT! There are the pros and cons. There is a half option too.

i've always wanted to do that one - it however is always on the same weekend as the Ragnar I do. One of these days.

From what I have heard, the heat isn't a huge issue on this one despite the time of year. HOWEVER, it is a downhill and you need to train for the pounding your quads will take
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Great advice all around! Hal Higdon has great training plans for sure.

There is also the "First Marathon Training Program" from First, Furman Institute of Running. It is a training program for first time marathon runners. You might find it by Googling "Finish with First".

And yes, this plan calls for running only 3 days a week. I know I heard someone on here say that doesn't work, but that's simply not true. I have heard people tell me it worked great.

Either way, good luck!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member

There is also the "First Marathon Training Program" from First, Furman Institute of Running. It is a training program for first time marathon runners. You might find it by Googling "Finish with First".

And yes, this plan calls for running only 3 days a week. I know I heard someone on here say that doesn't work, but that's simply not true. I have heard people tell me it worked great.

I didn't say it didn't work. I said it wouldn't be the best way to be prepared. Accumulating mileage is an important factor in a marathon training plan. I'm sure you could follow FIRST and drag yourself through 26 miles. Anyone in relatively decent shape can COMPLETE a marathon. The challenge lies in being able to get through the training healthy and run the race to the best of your ability.

IME, 2 short runs during the week are not enough to support long runs of 14+ miles.