Eating at BMR but still want to lose 1lbs pw

Options
Hello

I am doing well on my weight loss journey and it won't be long until I hit my target.

I have decided I now want to ensure I eat my BMR. It seems at 1200 cals over the past 6 months I may not be eating enough to keep muscle and burn fat.

So my BMR is approx 1424. My Tdee is around 1700 on non workout days. So the deficit will be less than 300 cals. I would like to lose a pound a week but this would need a 500 cal deficit.

My question is if I need to net my BMR every day how do I get a deficit of 500 cals. If I exercise to get it my net is then 300 cals lower than my BMI and I am back to square one.

Is this the way I need to do it though to lose the 1lb?
I think for the momens I will try netting my BMR by eating back exercise cals. If I don't lose the 1lb then I will have to net under BMR

Replies

• Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    Honestly, when you only have 10-20 pounds to go, trying to lose a pound a week can be an unrealistic goal. If you're eating at BMR, your deficit is a healthy one.

I've got about 10 pounds to go, and I'm at 0.5 pounds per week as my goal. I've heard others on the site confirm that the less you have to lose, the slower you should lose it in order to maintain and do it in a way healthy enough to keep your muscle.

I'm sure you'll get more advice on that, though. Good luck!
  • wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    With so few pounds to go, it is probably unrealistic to hope to lose a pound a week, especially without losing muscle along with fat (which is never good). Eating under your BMR will just make it even harder to lose those last 10-15 pounds because your metabolism will slow down to conserve the limited energy you are giving it. Admittedly I'm no expert, but I would advise you to make sure you're eating/netting at or above your BMR and be patient so that you arrive at your goal weight in a healthy and sustainable way :)
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Eat your TDEE, you will probably still lose a pound a week. My stats are about the same as yours and I eat 1700 everyday (exercise or not) and I'm losing weight. It averages out over time IMO.

Over one day and under the next cancels out. MAKE SURE YOU GET ENOUGH PROTEIN.

Plus you need to be patient. I have 15 pounds to my "ultimate goal weight" and I'm still happy with how my body looks now.
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    With so few pounds to go, it is probably unrealistic to hope to lose a pound a week, especially without losing muscle along with fat (which is never good). Eating under your BMR will just make it even harder to lose those last 10-15 pounds because your metabolism will slow down to conserve the limited energy you are giving it. Admittedly I'm no expert, but I would advise you to make sure you're eating/netting at or above your BMR and be patient so that you arrive at your goal weight in a healthy and sustainable way :)

this
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i would just aim for 1/2 lb if you're cutting it so close. it doesn't seem like a good idea to try to to 1 lb loss if you're goign to have to eat below BMR