Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Hooters!

Options
Someone has to unravel the voodoo for me please.

I do a lot of math, i am comfortable with math and I have BS in biology so I am comfortable with chemistry, but someone will have to tell me how it is that 10 hooters hot wings are 1732 cal, and an entire Chicken Breast, meat and skin, cooked, fried, batter is 218 cal.

So eating 7.9 Chicken Breast with meat and skin, fried in batter is equiviliant of eating 10 wings at Hooters?

BaronGaston

Replies

• tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Were they breaded or naked wings? I worked there during college (yeah, yeah, let the jokes start now), and I saw how they cooked those little buggers. The breaded wings? Well, they are dipped in LARD before they are battered, which I could see having a lot to do with the calories. THEN, most of the sauces are oil-based, not vinegar-based like a lot of wing sauces. These are the main culprits.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Can't help you there...haven't had fried chicken in a long, long time...or wings... :grumble:
  • hjohns65
    hjohns65 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    that was one of thee all time absolute best questions!!! :)
  • chrissytrivette
    Options
    Hooters doesn't publish their nutrition info. The only nutrition they publish is for their "healthy dining" options. The info that is on MFP must be someone's estimates based on other restaurants nutrition facts. If you go on to the Hooters website it even tells you that they don't publish it.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    Options
    Hooters doesn't publish their nutrition info. The only nutrition they publish is for their "healthy dining" options. The info that is on MFP must be someone's estimates based on other restaurants nutrition facts. If you go on to the Hooters website it even tells you that they don't publish it.

You can request it. Certain states have laws in place now where any dining establishment must be able to provide nutritional information on all of their foods, so Hooters will give it to you if you contact them through their site or restaurant.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Could it be that the hot wing sauce is butter based?
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Could it be that the hot wing sauce is butter based?

All of the best sauces are butter based.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Were they breaded or naked wings? I worked there during college (yeah, yeah, let the jokes start now), and I saw how they cooked those little buggers. The breaded wings? Well, they are dipped in LARD before they are battered, which I could see having a lot to do with the calories. THEN, most of the sauces are oil-based, not vinegar-based like a lot of wing sauces. These are the main culprits.

REALLY?? This isn't a prank post? (No offense to you.) I've seen tons of ways to cook chicken and i've never even HEARD of dipping it in lard...that sounds absolutely crazy!
  • KirstFaye
    KirstFaye Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The fried chicken breast calories is for 3oz, not an entire breast, and frying increases the fat content. If you have to look at the Hooters, sorry I mean go to Hooters, ask for grilled chicken breast.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    Options

REALLY?? This isn't a prank post? (No offense to you.) I've seen tons of ways to cook chicken and i've never even HEARD of dipping it in lard...that sounds absolutely crazy!

Not a prank post at all. Their breaded wings are dipped in lard prior to breading. Not to mention (and this is disgusting, so you may want to stop reading), but most of the wings still have FEATHERS on them...not big ones, but ones that need to be pulled off prior to frying.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Two thumbs up on this question and it's wonderful presentation OP!

I puffy heart wings... *sigh*
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Okay Mr. FCC Ham radio operator, here y'all go: To begin with, chicken wings of any style are mostly all FAT 'n bone. There is very little meat on them at all so what you're eating is: 100% FAT. The former Hooter's employee laid it on the line, i.e. they're dipped in lard, breaded with the FLOUR & seasoning then deep fried. Fat (from the chicken)+FAT before breading+starch (the breading)+more FAT (deep frying). Don't forget all the sodium content that's tossed in to make them tasty and make you very thirsty so you'll buy more beer.

Better choice: The skinless chicken breast that's nicely seasoned and not deep fried. Grilled or roasted is better.

I like to eat at Hooter's too. Great sandwiches, fun atmosphere and great service (I'm 74)! And, yes, I understood your phonetic alphabet (have had a ham license for the past 4 years) so, please clean up the terminology.

Stay happy :)
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Dude....it's Hooters....Whiskey Golf Alpha Foxtrot. Hand-down best wings on the planet.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Dude....it's Hooters....Whiskey Golf Alpha Foxtrot. Hand-down best wings on the planet.

Don't you mean Foxtrot Alpha Papa?
  • PClivingood
    PClivingood Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I looked at the Hooter-brand Buffalo Sauce they sell in the groceries. Its base is butter and its calories per tsp were through the roof. If you use a vinegar-based buffalo sauce instead the calories are really nice and low. Since I have been on MFP my favorite lunch has been a Buffalo Chicken Wrap and it is a little over 300 calories all told.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

The food industry in general, and chain restaurants are particular culprits, have devised ways to make foods more "appetizing." Most of these methods involve basically layering on extra fat, salt, and sugar onto foods. The book "The End of Overeating" has a section devoted to this--interesting stuff, and made me really glad I don't like chain restaurants anyway.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Okay Mr. FCC Ham radio operator, here y'all go: To begin with, chicken wings of any style are mostly all FAT 'n bone. There is very little meat on them at all so what you're eating is: 100% FAT. And, yes, I understood your phonetic alphabet (have had a ham license for the past 4 years) so, please clean up the terminology.

Stay happy :)

please restate the 100% FAT. Mostly and 100% do not equate. Additionally, maybe the guy is a Vet, like myself. Foxtrot is a HIGHLY used.
  • JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Okay Mr. FCC Ham radio operator, here y'all go: To begin with, chicken wings of any style are mostly all FAT 'n bone. There is very little meat on them at all so what you're eating is: 100% FAT. The former Hooter's employee laid it on the line, i.e. they're dipped in lard, breaded with the FLOUR & seasoning then deep fried. Fat (from the chicken)+FAT before breading+starch (the breading)+more FAT (deep frying). Don't forget all the sodium content that's tossed in to make them tasty and make you very thirsty so you'll buy more beer.

This is exactly why. They're tasty, but dangerous.
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

I was going to say the same thing (well...mostly). Chicken breast is very low fat. Wings, however, are very fatty and have little actual lean meat. Add in how they are cooked and there you have it. Thousands of delicious, greasy calories. If you must have them (and the scenery they come with) why not grab a really good workout and balance the rest of the day with high fiber and lots of veggies? As an occasional treat, it may not be terrible...

Happy Eating (viewing) :wink:
  • norse1965
    norse1965 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm not Ham Radio operator and I understood it too.. :-) I;ve used Charlie Foxtrot.. :-) I thought it was funny. I've never eaten at Hooters but it doesn't sound like I wanna try it now! I stick to roasted chicken or grilled.