Silly question...

Options
say my diet consists of eating 1200 calories, and I burn 300 while working out. so my net is 900 calories. Technically I still ate my 1200 calories, so does it matter if my net is so low?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does matter. You need calories to keep your heart beating, nervous system firing, organs functioning a full capacity, that sorta thing.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If the body doesn't get enough energy to function, then it will draw upon every available resource for energy. This includes fat, muscle, and organ tissue.
  • EMagineBeingEMazing
    Options
    Yes, it does matter. You need calories to keep your heart beating, nervous system firing, organs functioning a full capacity, that sorta thing.

^^THAT! You NEED 1200 NET :)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    my dietitian says if your very overweight it doesn't matter, but i can see by your picture that your not so yes it does matter. once you get closer to goal your body eats away at muscles around your organs and your heart is an organ. If you have a lot of fat it eats away at that instead... that's what 3 dietitians have told me. for now i can have a big deficit although at the moment i dont, once i loose more i cant. x
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Say my car needs $6 dollars fuel a day to get back & forth work BUT I spent $1.50 running around town, Will I get home??

Russ
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

^^THAT! You NEED 1200 NET :)

You actually NEED more than that. WAAAAY more than that. You need 80% of your TDEE.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    i still eat 1500 though, just dont eat back all exercise calories... important to add x
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    my dietitian says if your very overweight it doesn't matter, but i can see by your picture that your not so yes it does matter. once you get closer to goal your body eats away at muscles around your organs and your heart is an organ. If you have a lot of fat it eats away at that instead... that's what 3 dietitians have told me. for now i can have a big deficit although at the moment i dont, once i loose more i cant. x

^^ This is true too! I forget this sometimes because I have already gotten to the point where it does matter.
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    wow, thanks. so my net should be 1200 then? meaning technically I can eat 1600 as long as I burn 400?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    wow, thanks. so my net should be 1200 then? meaning technically I can eat 1600 as long as I burn 400?

You could eat even more than that if you knew how much energy your body requires daily.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Say my car needs $6 dollars fuel a day to get back & forth work BUT I spent $1.50 running around town, Will I get home??

Russ

Wow....that was a very simple and yet perfect example!!! I will use this example in the future!!!
  • UponThisRock
    Options

I didn't write this with the intention of linking giving it out as general advice in the forums, but I think it can really help you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/UponThisRock/view/eating-back-exercise-calories-232630.

PM me if you have any more questions.
  • Lisseth03
    Options

I didn't write this with the intention of linking giving it out as general advice in the forums, but I think it can really help you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/UponThisRock/view/eating-back-exercise-calories-232630.

the link did not work.

also, I am not VERY over weight, but I AM over weight, so I think I can maybe eat a little less before my body starts eating my organs instead of my fat? I know that sounds aweful, but i have a lot of fat to lose.
    i'm just trying to understand this a bit more.
  • mrskaren0
    mrskaren0 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Awesome analogy.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

the link did not work.

also, I am not VERY over weight, but I AM over weight, so I think I can maybe eat a little less before my body starts eating my organs instead of my fat? I know that sounds aweful, but i have a lot of fat to lose.

Unless you are approaching morbidly obese. This just isn't true. Your body is going to eat muscle regardless if you aren't using weight training. It is just that at morbidly obese the stores are there for that purpose and are drawn upon more.
  • Lisseth03
    Options
    Okay i'll try and eat more calories on the days when I do work out
  • UponThisRock
    Options

the link did not work.

Odd. Try this, scroll down to "Eating Back Exercise Calories": http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/UponThisRock

It is true that more overweight folks can tolerate a higher deficit, but 1200 per day isn't a good number for anybody. That kind of thing is only done in for the morbidly obese in a clinical setting, and not for long stretches.
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options

Russ

Depends on how much gas you had in your car to begin with!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

You actually need to eat at least your BMR (NET). Let's say that you were in a coma and lying in bed all day long. Your BMR is the amount of energy it takes to make your body function - like for the heart to beat, for you to breathe, that sort of thing. Your TDEE is the amount of energy you are actually expending on a daily basis. Generally, you need to eat 15 - 20% less than your TDEE to achieve a healthy weight loss.
  • Lisseth03
    Options
    I just checked and my BMR is said to be 1561.1. or so says the web page. so I should aim to that 1500 calories then?