Trainer says I'm not eating enough

Options
Tonight my personal trainer went through my food diary and said I wasn't eating enough. I believe I'm eating all the time and I try and eat back my exercise calories. Has anyone else had this experience? How did/do you get past the embarrassment of eating all the time and more than everyone else?

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    How much are you NETTing?
  • yepitsjen
    yepitsjen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm supposed to be replying to this, since we're doing the cleanse/weight loss part together IRL. HOWEVER, if you aren't eating enough, then it's possible this process is not the right one for you. You are burning over a thousand calories a day with your workouts- my workouts run from 300-600.

Bottom line- you need to eat more and we need to figure out how to get you there.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    change to full fat milk, full fat yogurt, eat nuts, houmous, olives... few examples of calorie dense foods. By adding these to meals/snacks your calories will go up without you feeling like your constantly eating. may google calorie dense foods? also no need to be embarrassed! x
  • sethwdyer
    sethwdyer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Eating shouldn't be something that is embarrassing. If you are having those kinds of thought you might want to talk with your family doctor about the possibly of an eating disorder.
  • duchessglencairn
    Options
    It varies by day but anywhere from 1200-1500.
  • duchessglencairn
    Options
    Eating shouldn't be something that is embarrassing. If you are having those kinds of thought you might want to talk with your family doctor about the possibly of an eating disorder.

I sit in an open office and this isn't an eating disorder. I have several people who comment around me that I'm eating again everyday.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I tell them politely it's medically ordered and in my head I think 'Eff off!'.
  • yepitsjen
    yepitsjen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The challenge you're facing is one of perception. You are working to lose weight. The people around you at work, and that don't know you, assume that you are just eating to eat and don't see the hard work you put in every day, that the people around you see. You are making HUGE healthy changes in your life that they don't know about- and they don't need to know.

This is less about you having to hide what you eat and how much you eat and more about you owning the fact that you are working your *kitten* off (literally) to become a new you.

**** those *****es (everyone here is over 18).
  • Jem411
    Jem411 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    "I sit in an open office and this isn't an eating disorder. I have several people who comment around me that I'm eating again everyday. "

I know exactly how you feel, I am constantly eating at work as well. People often comment about how much I eat and I reply with "I'm an athlete, I eat to fuel my body..when you decide to get in shape you will understand". It is as simple as that. There is a reason why there are so many unhealthy people in this world. They just have no clue. Who cares about everyone else, do it for you!
  • Soon2BeMrsThomson
    Options
    "I sit in an open office and this isn't an eating disorder. I have several people who comment around me that I'm eating again everyday. "

I know exactly how you feel, I am constantly eating at work as well. People often comment about how much I eat and I reply with "I'm an athlete, I eat to fuel my body..when you decide to get in shape you will understand". It is as simple as that. There is a reason why there are so many unhealthy people in this world. They just have no clue. Who cares about everyone else, do it for you!

Here, here!!
  • Jem411
    Jem411 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Also...I typically eat around 1200-1500 a day, cardio 5 times a week, lifting 3 times a week and cannot seem to move these last 10lbs. I also like my wine on the weekends. I realize I should probably pull back from the drinking but am thinking about upping my calorie intake to see if that helps anything.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Tonight my personal trainer went through my food diary and said I wasn't eating enough. I believe I'm eating all the time and I try and eat back my exercise calories. Has anyone else had this experience? How did/do you get past the embarrassment of eating all the time and more than everyone else?

Embarrassment? I'm never embarrassed to eat more. Why would you feel bad about fueling your body?

EAT.

I regularly eat 2k calories. And I am neither very large or hellishly active.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Politely inform your co-workers that their opinions about how much you're eating are none of your business. So, if they wonder why you ignore them when they make those comments, it's really a matter of respecting their privacy :)
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    open your diary & we can give you better advice. ;)
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Also...I typically eat around 1200-1500 a day, cardio 5 times a week, lifting 3 times a week and cannot seem to move these last 10lbs. I also like my wine on the weekends. I realize I should probably pull back from the drinking but am thinking about upping my calorie intake to see if that helps anything.

Yes, you should seriously consider upping your calories. With cardio 5x a week and lifting 3, it sounds like your body need a lot more fuel.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I sit in an open office and this isn't an eating disorder. I have several people who comment around me that I'm eating again everyday.

People are rude! They should mind their own business, and you should do what is right for your body.
  • Jamiewoodle
    Jamiewoodle Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Yes, you should seriously consider upping your calories. With cardio 5x a week and lifting 3, it sounds like your body need a lot more fuel.

^^This!!!
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Actually, hyper-awareness of others when you eat is a factor in eating disorder. Not saying you have one, but the justification of "it's an open environment" doesn't cut it for me.

If they are actually talking about your food intake, then I would either confront them about it, or take it to your HR. Regardless of why you are eating, this is a hostile work environment unless you are not supposed to eat at your desk, or you are eating like popcorn and crunch crunch crunching all the time. Frankly, if you are having small snacks like almonds, how is it that they even know that you're eating it? If they are paying more attention to your food than their own work, that's their issue.

You very well may not be eating enough, and your trainer is who I would defer to. You are paying that person to help you manage your fitness. If he/she was saying only eat grapefruit, I'd say F THAT but since they are saying, fuel up, I have my suspicions that they are probably right :P