Continued Motivation Needed

For Lent I gave up refined sugar, mostly in the general category of "sweets". Cookies, desserts, candy, chocolate, etc. While the purpose was to be sacrificial, I have to say the benefits have been amazing! Lost weight, no sugar highs and lows, more energy, clearer focus are all benefits that have surprised me.

Here's the dilemna: Easter is Sunday and the restriction will be lifted. I want to stay off the sugar, but I know the temptation will be too great. Any suggestions? Mind games? Mental strategies?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :bigsmile:

Replies

• Jameslemond
    Jameslemond Posts: 60 Member
    Drink lots of water before, and during the day... twice as much as normal. you wont be tempted to eat it if your super full :-)
  • arlysmaekuehn
    arlysmaekuehn Posts: 6 Member
    I can identify with you situation. Last year I gave up all breads and anything of the like for Lent. What I did after Easter was tell myself that I did it and it helped so I should continue, "just for today". Helped most of the time. It is something to try. Good Luck!
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Make it a challenge for yourself...every month that you stay off it, reward yourself. I've not had soda (diet or otherwise) since January 1 because I've got a bet with some friends as to who can last the longest...but you may have trouble finding friends willing to go the distance with you. But a monthly reward may help you stick to your guns. Good Luck!
  • wxchaser
    wxchaser Posts: 173 Member
    I did the same thing! And I'm actually thinking about continuing it myself (after I get my fill of Cadbury Eggs, lol).

The way I manage to keep my goals is by setting challenges for myself. Maybe set another goal for some other holiday, like Memorial Day. That might help.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Just one word. MODERATION:wink:
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    It's all about moderation. I used to eat cookies by the dozen, now I have 3 or 4. If it's chocolate you crave, I'll drink 1% chocolate milk, or a Special K dark chocolate protein shake. If you start to really crave more, grab a bottle of water & head outside for a walk to distract it.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,134 Member
    I don't eat much sugar in general, if I do indulge in a piece of candy now it tastes absurdly sweet.... Maybe get yourself a little dark chocolate and make a rule that you won't steal from the kiddo's baskets!
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Lost weight, no sugar highs and lows, more energy, clearer focus are all benefits...

I think the answer is in the question. :bigsmile: If these things don't motivate you, I don't know what will! Good luck!
  • When I have a sugar craving, I drink a glass of Crystal Light... only 5 calories and no sugar! It gives me that little bit of sweet I need to get over the craving :)
  • lniber22
    lniber22 Posts: 29 Member
    I didn't do it for Lent, but I too gave up the sugar! ( and all alchohol and most butter!!!!!!!) I am a sugar monster! So it is very hard for me to turn it down, but now that I have been off it for 3 weeks, I find that my initial mental trick still works like a charm! I HATE coconut. Can't stand it! So whenever I see something at work, I say to myself that everything has coconut! Once I have that image implanted, it's a breeze to turn around and forget it. I'm sure I will be tempted after my goal time runs out (22 days from now for honeymoon cruise!) but for the most part I plan on sticking to it after that. I like the way I feel and the way my body is starting to look and going shopping is becoming more fun! So those are all great incentives. For sure, I will continue to tell myself anything during the week has coconut and on weekends, I will treat myself on days I worked out!
  • kmbishop
    kmbishop Posts: 9 Member
    Try to lose the "all or nothing" attitude toward the occasional treat or dessert. Also, remind yourself that the treats will always be there, they aren't going to disappear from earth never to be had again. You made a conscious choice to eliminate them from your diet for 40 days and nights and at the end you realized all those same treats are still there. You can have them any time you want, or you can choose to refrain from them any time you want. But, as long as you are making conscious decisions, why not consciously choose the treats that treat YOU better. Try lower glycemic items instead of highly processed sugary items. Many things can be made substituting artificial sweeteners or even lower glycemic agave syrup in the recipe. One of my faves is simple strawberries lightly dipped in dark chocolate.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    I don't have any special tricks to curb the cravings and I have them at least once a week, if not more! I usually chug some water or have a healthy snack to shake the need to eat. I've also tried brushing my teeth when I've had the urge to eat sweets...it actually worked, but I know that you may not always be around a toothbrush and paste.