Question??

Options
How do you guys log food that has no menu nutrition guide. Like say you go out to dinner - and you have a meal but you're not really sure how many calories it was, serving size, etc...

I'm at a loss - and I would love to record my mexican food (it's my weakness)!

Replies

• nateraemom
    Options
    If I'm at a restaurant and I want to know the calorie count of a particular meal, I will ask my server. Typically they have a nutritional guide in the kitchen they can refer to. Rarely do I have someone come back without an answer.
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It's great when a restaurant has a nutrition guide - most of the national chains do. But when they don't (like my favorite neighborhood dives), I just have to do my best to "guesstimate."

For example, love the steamed chicken dumplings at my local Chinese food place, but they don't have their info available. So, I use the Wegman's steamed dumplings in the database as a stand-in. They are comparable in portions and serving size.

A little bit of unsolicited advice: one day won't make or break you, so if you are a little off with the numbers it's okay. This is a long journey and it all averages out.
  • missjones93
    missjones93 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - I just decided that I should log every item of my meal separately as generic or a restaurant similar. Surely that won't hurt - right?
  • Ali65
    Ali65 Posts: 15
    Options
    I know it is tidious, but I estimate the food items, mix veggies, rice (cooked), tortilla or do specific search. I love my mexican food, since I used to make a lot! The rice is a big calorie intake for some reason...great!
    Good luck!
    M
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    If you know of a restaurant with a similar meal, I'd use that. Otherwise, each piece individually will be better.
  • missjones93
    Options
    Yeah - I done each individually which was a lot of calories so I assume that it is correct lol. Thanks guys!
  • jessnate0417
    Options
    Yeah - I done each individually which was a lot of calories so I assume that it is correct lol. Thanks guys!

I estimate each one individually as well and I notice I can estimate the serving sizes a little easier that way....Like with Fajitas (my weakness) I break it all down, some things I use less of and some more. It has worked for me so far :)
  • missjones93
    Options
    I agree - not only that but then I know it's fairly accurate