Getting enough Protein

Options
sapalee
sapalee Posts: 409 Member
Quick disclaimer: If you don't believe in Paleo/Primal/CrossFit that is fine, I would still appreciate your advice on protein but please do not try and convince me to get away from the lifestlye that is sustainable and working for me. I've done my research, I don't need to be saved from myself.

Hey all, I know I shouldn't be micromanaging my diet but I'm trying to make sure I'm eating enough in general, and protein specifically. If you wouldn't mind taking a look at my nutrition and throwing in your two cents I'd appreciate it. My diary is open if you care to take a look, I've only been tracking for a bout a week though so it's not too telling just yet. Some basics:

I completed Robb Wolf's 30 day Paleo challenge about a month ago and am now doing more of a Primal thing. Still no grains (IBS comes back when I've tried it) or milk but I've added cheese and greek yogurt back in. (gelato rarely)

I'm 27, 5'9", had been a soft 135 prior to Paleo challenge and CF, was 128 at last doc appt about a month ago. Dropped a few inches in my waist. I am going in the military in three months and cannot be below 130 for my age and height. I'm hoping I have and will continue to gain muscle weight.

I started CrossFit in early January and have had great results so far. I go to my box 3 days a week and do CF style workouts at home on the other days with what I have to work with. I've been doing the 3 days on/ 1 day rest as much as possible. The one day sometimes turns into two when it falls on a weekend. If you're not familiar with crossfit it is "constantly varied, high-intensity, functional movement"

So, my primary goal is to continue to gain muscle.

Here are the dietary goals I have set for myself in MyFitnessPal:

2,300 calories. 25% carb, 45% fat, and 30% protein
This works out to 144 g carb, 115 g fat, and 173 g protein

I do pretty well with the calories, some days I'm under, some over, I mostly let my hunger be my gauge. I go over on either carbs or fat and am consistently under on protein. I've averaged 110 grams a day for the past week or so that I've been keeping track. A range of 78-132g.

So, are my protein goals realistic/beneficial? Should I readjust my goals? Should I just work harder to get more protein in through shakes or just more meat (it's a bit of a struggle sometimes)?

Sorry it's so long, again thank you for any input. I greatly appreciate it!

Replies

• wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My husband is doing something similar with a higher protein diet (although by no means a high protein diet, if you get my drift....goals are similar to yours), and he ends up having a protein bar or shake nearly every morning. It's the only way he can get all the protein he should have (he's a meat guy, but has cut out the fatty meats--sausage, hot dogs, bacon, etc). Some days, he has to do both the bar and the shake. And he snacks on string cheese, nuts and peanut butter. Hope this helps, and good luck!
  • leahsevilla
    leahsevilla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Your protein goals sound good to me. I've heard you want 1g/lb so you could push it up to 128-135 without having it be "too high". IMO obviously.
  • sapalee
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, I went ahead and picked up some more protein powder today. It's not ideal but I think it will help on the days I'm low. I mean I'm already eating protein at every meal. It'll fill in a little calcium where I'm a little low as well.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    1.25x BW in protein seems a bit high, you likely could get the same benefits at a lower amount and then you get to eat more fats/cho

And approx how many cals is 2,300 above your TDEE?
  • sapalee
    Options
    Hmm, 2,300 is what came up when I set my goals on this site to gain at my activity level. Just went to a TDEE calculator on another sight and plugged everything in. (I'm afraid I've never heard of TDEE before, just BMR)

Moderate Exercise 3-5 days a week : 2187
    Heavy Exercise 5-6 days a week: 2434

Doesn't say anything about intensity or duration...

Do you think I should be eating MORE calories? It's hard to get to 2000 somedays, others I get 2500 +.
  • sapalee
    Options
    1.25x BW in protein seems a bit high, you likely could get the same benefits at a lower amount and then you get to eat more fats/cho

And approx how many cals is 2,300 above your TDEE?

And BMR is 1389
  • sapalee
    Options
    It looks like my original protein calculations were off.

If I do 1.8-2.0g/kg body weight that gives 106-118 g/day max. Looks like much more than that would be a waste of effort. i can certainly up my fats and carbs from fruits and veggies. Love me some sweet potatoes :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hmm, 2,300 is what came up when I set my goals on this site to gain at my activity level. Just went to a TDEE calculator on another sight and plugged everything in. (I'm afraid I've never heard of TDEE before, just BMR)

Moderate Exercise 3-5 days a week : 2187
    Heavy Exercise 5-6 days a week: 2434

Doesn't say anything about intensity or duration...

Do you think I should be eating MORE calories? It's hard to get to 2000 somedays, others I get 2500 +.

If you want to minimize fat gains while adding muscle generally 10-20% over your TDEE is appropriate. Really the best way to find TDEE is trial and error, figure out where you maintain at and go from there