Need some motivation

Options
I ave a gym membership, but it is going to waste since I haven't used it in months. I really want to go again, but I have no motivation to get up and go. I work at night, normally. When I open, I am up and about and like to go afterwards. That happens so rarely though. I need some kind of motivator to get myself over there and moving. Any suggestions.
I have tried music. I have tried tv. The only thing that got me to go was a friend, but she moved away and no one else I know will drive out to where my gym is to go with me. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You have to develop a just do it attitude! It's hard to find something that works, if you really don't want to do it at all. You have to tell yourself to just do it, and before you know it, you'll start enjoying it!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    just go do it and stop giving into laziness and making excuses!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    well, then maybe a gym isnt the right thing for you. I used to just workout at home. Cheaper and more convenient. You dont even need equipments really. Just start walking around the block couple of times, then come home and do some pushups, squats, lunges etc and viola!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I can't help as I've never belonged to a gym. I just run outside and do weights at home. If it's raining I might do something like Jillian's 30 Day Shred DVD. You should look into it; it's $9 at Walmart or Target and people get great results with it on MFP. It's just like having a personal trainer :)
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    MOOOOOOVVVVVVV your *kitten*!!!! :wink:

Ok most people do this, gym's rely on it.......How much? you got money to burn?

also where are you? generally speaking. Maybe there are some on here who use the same gym?
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    IMO: You have to make the choice to get up each morning and be ready for the gym regardless of any of the excuses you made.

My suggestion: just start fresh, like it's your first day of training, new week/new you. Keep track of your progress to see where you started and make it a habit/lifestyle. It will take time, effort, sacrifice, and money spent on food for smaller and smaller results over time but you will never look back and regret any of it.
  • KaraAnneMcD
    KaraAnneMcD Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It is like anything in life. Once you make working out part of your daily routine, it won't be so hard to get there. I took a break recently due to injury and getting back was incredibly difficult. But, now that I am back i the habit, I really miss it when I don't go!
  • drmattski
    drmattski Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Find something you actually like...biking, walking, volleyball, swimming and do that primarily. I basically just day dream when doing cardio, but sometimes watch TV at the gym...it is part of the price of fitness...just got to find something right for you to get in the zone :-)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You are wasting your money. Is that enough? That would get me there! You have to make it a priority. Only you can decide that you are going to make yourself do it.
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    pretty much what everyone else has said.

What I do when i dont feel like going is just hop in my car and get there. once I'm there I have to do something atleast. lol
  • niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Maybe the gym isn't the best fit for you. For me, a high energy dog is a great companion that is always ready to go do anything: hiking, backpacking, walking, whatever.
  • cecejoy
    cecejoy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If there are some fitness classes at the gym I'd try to look for one that I like...

If you sign up for a 5k or something....that might motivate you to work out more
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Agree with the rest you need to get that attitude in to the right direction. Tell yourself you want this and you will get there.

6899343028_7fb6b7fa43_m.jpg
    93168286010820458_RTxdq0ya_b by rubysphoto, on Flickr
  • chandra38
    chandra38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think what everyone else said was excellent. What helped me utilize the gym regularly was to realize that getting there is half the battle. Once I'm there, I'm in it to win it. Just do it! It helps me to go before I do anything else in my day. I drop my kids off at school and go to the gym 5 days a week. I don't do anything else until I've worked out! Just don't give up!
  • OutSpoken78
    OutSpoken78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yea... You have to want to do it for you. Only you can "make" yourself do it. Other people can encourage you, but no one can make you.

I always looked at it this way...The longer you wait, the harder it is. The longer you wait, the more out of shape you become and the more work it will take to get back to you goal.

Much of the motivation comes after turning it into a lifestyle habit....but only you can get it to that point.
  • elivanis
    elivanis Posts: 4
    Options
    Check out some group exercise classes! That always makes the time go by so fast for me! There are many to choose from, so you'll have to try a few formats and see what you like (e.g. Step aerobics, Zumba, Cardio Kickboxing, Pilates, Yoga, Weights, etc.). GREAT way to meet people with the same main goal in mind, too, if you start going regularly you recognize people around you and will start to chat each other up about what you're doing.
  • mrswinstead
    Options
    I agree with everything posted already. I will add, you have to treat it like your job. I love my job but I do not always feel like going. Even if you had someone to go with you, they truly cannot motivate you. It has to come from determination. I often say, "you have to get tired of being sick and tired" of living unhealthy. Just do it!!!
  • RedMotoRider
    Options
    It takes a village of exercises, venues and settings to stay motivated, I have a gym membership, I run outside, I bike, I walk, somedays I run on the treadmill and somedays the eliptical, bottom line, staying in shape for most people is not fun and boredom can quickly set in, especially if your doing the same monotenous routine weekend and weekout. I challenge you to find new and innovative ways to exercise, burn calories and to make it different and fun each time you lace up!!!! Good Luck!!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    make an appointment with yourself. show yourself AT LEAST the same respect you would with your hairdresser and KEEP YOUR APPOINTMENT!
    Just make a 30 min commmitment to YOURSELF 3 times a week. Even if you DON'T workout the entire time (chances are you will) devote this time to YOU. Make it ABOUT YOU.

I am old & not slim by any means but I try new hairstyles, color - try on cute clothes - any kicky thing to pamper MYSELF. I give myself weekly facials (a professional one is killer if you can afford it)
    After my workouts, I take a steamy shower then admire myself in the mirror. Find something you admire, dammit!
    I have been taking several hours each week to admire MYSELF and you know what? IT'S WORKING! I find I like it- most especially my Yoga hour on Sunday- it's absolutely delicious and feels truly wonderful.
    In a month or so, this will become a habit ~ just try it, cause YOU'RE WORTH IT!
  • kapspecial
    kapspecial Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Honestly, motivation wanes. It's cool to be inspired and encouraged. It's awesome to have a partner in this thing, but it comes down to you valuing your goals enough to put in the work. And I'm not worried about you wasting money at the gym. Waste it and workout at home. So needing motivation to go to the gym is just another excuse for you to give up on your goals. I've been there and I've committed and recommitted time and time again. This time is different for me because for the first time I've acknowledged that nothing outside of ME can drive me to do what I know I need to do for myself.

You can do this because your body is capable and will DO JUST ABOUT WHATEVER YOU TELL IT TO DO. So show your excuses to the door, step over them, or whatever and do what you KNOW you need to do. Workout at the gym or at home and that alone will dispel the myth of motivation. This is about decisions. Decide to do what you need to do to get what you want (health, fitness, a rocking body, etc.). Now is all that matters. So get into gear today cause that's all you know you got for sure! Good luck!!!