Treadmill vs. Running Outside

Options
Can anyone tell me what the major pros and cons are of each? I'm thinking about being brave and signing up for my very first half marathon in January, but I don't have any really good running areas around me to practice in. I can't run the course to practice because it's in Phoenix and I'm not ;-), but I do have a treadmill. What are the major differences I should be prepared for?

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Almost any area is a good area to run in, IMO. Just walk out your front door and put shoes on. I've ran in circles on a desert airstrip, up and down boardwalks, in the city, in the swamp, in the woods...

I think running outside is a much better way to prepare for..um...running outside. But if treadmills indeed are your only option, expect to be a little bit slower on race day when you have to contend with the environment, weather, other people, terrain, etc.
  • ruggedBear
    ruggedBear Posts: 295
    Options
    I tried running on the treadmill and I just can't keep myself from tripping over my own feet! I ran a woodland trail on Sunday and old dirt roads last night and I can skip over roots, rocks and stumps without any coordination issues! I don't know what the deal is - but I am much better coordinated outside.
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    Treadmill and outdoor running are very different if you ask me! I started my jogging/running on my treadmill, did that for 6+ months, was up to 5 miles without stops......then I went outside to run......I don't think I made it a mile before I had to stop and walk! The treadmill gives and is very forgiving on your body, where the pavement is not! So, if you want to run in races and marathons, your training needs to be outdoors. I have been running outside now for a month or so and I am just now getting back to about 4 miles. Good luck to you! Oh, and outside is a lot more entertaining then the treadmill too, lots more to look at!
  • tzaccario
    tzaccario Posts: 53
    Options
    I tried running on the treadmill and I just can't keep myself from tripping over my own feet! I ran a woodland trail on Sunday and old dirt roads last night and I can skip over roots, rocks and stumps without any coordination issues! I don't know what the deal is - but I am much better coordinated outside.

I have the same problem..

I always have to keep putting 1 hand out to keep a steady distance and I move all over the place while running. My biggest fear is being one of those people who fall and get tread burn on the way down =)

Only difference I know of besides being outside makes the time go faster and is always nicer.. There is more impact on your body vs. running on the treadmill. Your body gets used to it over time, but the first few times are rough (at least for me)
  • angjindra
    angjindra Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would try to run outside as much as possible if you are going to sign up for something. I do about an average of 5 miles a day on the treamill, however when I run outside, 2 miles feels like 5!!! I do live in an area where its all big hills though. Good luck! :)
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    On a treadmill the surface is moving therefore you are not propelling yourself forward, outside you are propelling yourself forward with every stride, running on a treadmill can impact your form negatively and also keep you from developing a good pace in your head which is very important for road racing , moral of the story i'd go outside , good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Before I ran my first 5K I trained almost exclusively on my treadmill and by the 3rd km had horrible shin splints due the change in surface. Since then I've run outside almost exclusively all year 'round (I'll suffer on my dreadmill if there's freezing rain, other than that I'm outside)

Treadmills are a great way to start building up your endurance but the running mechanics are not the same. The belt tends to propel you and the normal reaction is to lengthen your stride which leads to heel striking (something you want to avoid).

Treadmills can also be used no matter the weather or the time. Depending on your schedule that may be a safer alternative.

If you're doing most of your training indoors you should make a point of getting outside at least once or twice a week just to acclimate to the different running surface.
  • angjindra
    angjindra Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you have a good pair of outside running shoes~ I'm sure you already know that though!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    On a treadmill you have a lot more control of the incline, your environment (ie allergens!), your speed (sort of), how long (sort of) and stuff like that. Outside is a lot less boring, you can use your music to pace yourself and your breathing (as on a treadmill, but you don't have a concrete number), and running outside for an outside run is probably the best way to train.

I've been solely training with a treadmill, set with an incline of 3%. I took my first outdoor jog yesterday. Used the same music I've been using on the treadmill, and found the run to be just like the treadmill run! Even when I hit the incline, I had no problems outdoors. Actually, the trickiest part was where I had a decline! It was so easy to get going too fast! LOL.

Both are great, in my opinion. Just understand the differences between them!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I mainly run on the treadmill as it's more forgiving to my knees than always running outside. However, when I know I'm going to be in a race I will make sure to get a few runs in outside prior to the race. I actually tend to run faster outside, especially during a race, since I'm trying to keep pace with others that are around my speed.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    If you are training for a marathon I would strongly suggest you do no less then 75% of your training runs outdoors. Treadmills are just not ideal. when you do your longest run do you realize you may spend 4 hours staring at a wall or a TV. Ugghh that's the worst part the next worst part is tread mills pull you along. Its totally different propelling yourself across the ground.
  • hello0okitty
    hello0okitty Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i guess the majority of people prefer running outside, but my parents just bought a brand new treadmill and it is glorious. i use it every time i'm there- it has an ipod jack and speakers and everything. you can set timers for distance, time, and/or calories burned. whats not to love/
  • Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    The treadmill is much more forgiving on your body - less injuries. Outside running is definitely harder, no doubt!

Why don't you start on the treadmill and build up some endurance and fitness, then start incorporating outside runs slowly?
  • alana23231
    Options
    I would rather run outside because I can pace myself better. On a treadmill, it's basically one speed and one incline. If I'm outside, I can choose to take a straight path, a path with hills, or both. Also, when I'm outside I can speed up and slow down when i feel the need without having to push buttons to make a bigger incline, etc.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there are strict pros and cons really... but I personally hate running on a treadmill... I feel like I'm a rat on a wheel...
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i look like a spaz running outside so I try to do it in the dark on a treadmill
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Running outside will wear you out. Seriously. There is less cushioning in the ground, not to mention the fact that you have to propel yourself forward without the help of a rotating belt. Many people who usually run treadmillls can regularly clock good times for distances, and then find they can't even get 10 minutes without feeling like dying outside. There are some people for whom is doesn't make any difference, of course, but the average person find it much more difficult.

I would try and get at least 40-50% of your runs outside, so that your muscles can adjust to the change in surface. You definitely don't have to do it all outside, but doing that much will help a ton.
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I try to run outside as much as possible. The treadmill wreck havoc on my knees when running long distance.
  • HJCsDaddy
    HJCsDaddy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You can train on a treadmill with no problem. Living in Montana, winters kind of make it necessary, just set it to 1% incline and that will make it feel more realistic to running outside.
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I started c25k in the dead of winter on a treadmill, graduated program with no problems, then when weather got nice I moved it outside and what a difference! So much harder. I'm running on a dirt or crushed gravel path, not sure how that compares to paved areas. I had to scale back a bit and re-build my outdoor endurance. I feel it more in my calves outside too. I had to run indoors Monday due to weather and I rocked it, the treadmill now seems so easy! I make sure I incline if I'll be indoors.