Fish Oil Supplements

rchupka87
rchupka87 Posts: 542 Member
I currently take a daily womens multi-vitamin, but I have been reading that I should be taking a fish oil supplement, rich in Omega 3s in addition to this. So, I went to the store - and there are about 10 different kinds of Fish Oil. What should I be going for? Is one brand really better than another? Help!

Replies

• Bruinsmama
    Bruinsmama Posts: 53 Member
    I take flax seed oil which is also good for your heart but is vegetarian & you don't have to worry about mercury (in fish).
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Optimum Nutrition Fish Oil Softgels are the best in my opinion.

on-fish-oil-200.jpg
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    I currently take a daily womens multi-vitamin, but I have been reading that I should be taking a fish oil supplement, rich in Omega 3s in addition to this. So, I went to the store - and there are about 10 different kinds of Fish Oil. What should I be going for? Is one brand really better than another? Help!

I just ordered a bottle from a site called True Nutrition. THey're product is pretty high quality and because they don't sink tons of money into marketing they sell their products at a reasonable price.
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    My husband and I take New Chapter Whole-mega fish Oil - Wild Alaskan Salmon

Why? It was recommended and its has lowered my husband's triglycerides (since he is allergic to satins)
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    I swear by Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega. It's more on the expensive side, but it's very high quality (what most nutritionists will recommend) and it's lemon flavored so no fishy taste after.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member

You should always purchase the most expensive brand. Preferably the one with a hot babe on the label.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    I take First Omega by Renew Life, they consist of Omega 3, 6, 9 and 11. They are also orange flavored and burp-free which is very important if you don't want nasty fishy burps.
  • cabg6
    cabg6 Posts: 40 Member
    Good choice on taking fish oil! It's great for your heart!
    Here is what I look for...
    - 1000 or 1200 mg tablets - take 4
    - I'm a heart patient so I look for higher Omega 3's.
    - take them at night for maximum benefit for your heart! (orders of my cardiologist)
    - there are many brands that you can take and not burp fish. If you find a brand that makes you burp fish move on to the next brand.

Pretty simple, really.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    I use Nature Made Fish Oil 1200 mg with Omega 3. They say it is great for cutting cravings. And that part is working for me.
    I take two in the am. Two in the pm and I am not craving at all. A miracle for me.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    I suggest this:
    mcte78.jpg
    http://www.amazon.com/Schiff-MegaRed-Omega-3-Krill-Oil/dp/B0012G5YMK

Its Omega-3 Krill oil. It doesnt taste the fishy taste that other fish oils do.. At least when I took fish oil, id taste fishy tastes in my mouth every so often... These smell and taste like tic-tacs.

I actually just picked up prenatal vitimins.... I want to grow my hair out and every one suggested prenatals. They have omega-3's in it, or id still take the Krill oil!
  • DocGu
    DocGu Posts: 51 Member
    I really really like the GNC Triple Strength Fish Oil. I have an minor allergy to fish that causes me to have a migraine headache when I eat too much of it. When I have tried fish oils in the past they always triggered a migraine so I thought that I would not be able to ever take in fish oil (although as mentioned earlier - flax is also a good source of healthy oils). With the Triple Strength Fish Oil, I take 2 a day in the morning and have done so for close to a year and have never had it trigger a headache.

Also, I like the fact that it has the levels of EPA and DHA (those are just the specific names of some desirable fats) listed on the bottle and the levels are quite high compared to other products.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    i either get omega 3 (1000) capsules. I get the stores own brand or whatever is on special offer i.e. the cheapest i can find. i take 3 a day (around 30 cals each). remember to get loads of antioxidants (from blueberries, pomegranate, greentea etc) to get the full benefit of the oil.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    I use SFH liquid. They have several flavors, I've only tried tangerine so far and like it. My gym carries it so I buy directly from the but here is a link to the website. I can get a high dose from one teaspoon without having to take a ton of pills. No fishy taste or burps.

http://www.strongerfasterhealthier.com/products/omega_3-oil/so3_super_omega-3_oil_10oz

Do your research on the optimum ratio of DHA to EPA. From what I found krill oil is more expensive but no better.
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    EPA & DHA is all you need to worry about. I buy whatever is on sale and I've noticed my nails are A LOT stronger and don't flake off like they have my entire damned life. I take 1 after breakfast & lunch and sometimes dinner (purely if I remember). I've never experienced this fishy aftertaste people complain about, but I always take them after a meal, which may help.

I quit taking them because I didn't see them on sale and I generally didn't care all that much. All my nails broke off and were flaky & gross within like 3 months. I started again and bam they're strong again. I'm never going off of fish oil again purely for my sad fingernails (and hopefully other benefits I'm not seeing)!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,953 Member
    I don't have a specific brand but I can tell you the enterac coated pills cut down on the fishy tasting burps. You'll also want to make sure it's a high quality fish oil. I've heard krill oil is a good source but for someone like me who has a shell fish allergy I can't take them (so be aware if you have allergies that you read the labels. All our supplements have to be shellfish and gluten free). When I bought mine I picked the brains of the Super Supplements staff and chose one based on their recommendation.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Doesn't really matter but pay attention to the EPA/DHA content as you want to shoot for 2-3g of that, so the lower the content of EPA/DHA the more pills you have to take
  • bcunning
    bcunning Posts: 81 Member
    Seconds on the Flax Seed Oil!
  • RaniMerryman
    RaniMerryman Posts: 19 Member
    I use http://www.askdrgarland.com/shop/Shark-Liver-Oil.html

I have met the owner and creator of the line. He doesn't advertise which keeps his costs lower and relies on word of mouth. His passion comes from a bout with cancer that he beat with the help of a Buddhist nun who pumped him full of all manner of natural healing treatments. It became his life's study. All of his products that I have used have lived up to their expectations. gl
  • hkmamma
    hkmamma Posts: 70
    Just make sure you get one that is enteric coated so you don't get "fish burps"! I take mine at bedtime to decrease as well.