Endorphins

Options
So, I read somewhere that when you get in the habit of exercising it's supposed to make you a happier person because it creates "happy hormones" called endorphins. Has anyone noticed that they're happier now than they were before? Do you feel happier? I'm hoping that maybe soon I will see a change in my mood, I'm not angry all of the time or anything but I think it would be nice to feel happier. :happy:

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I am *happier* all around now that I am working out...but I know I feel better after I run--even if I hate every second of it! I actually crave going to the Y to get in my treadmill time. I limit myself to 65 minutes ( 60 minute workout, 5 minute cool down) 3-4 times a week. The only thing I can think of is that I am craving the endorphins from the workout....
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Regular exercise has a host of benefits and improved sleep and mood are on the list. I'm not sure if it's just the endorphins or the sense of accomplishment - it doesn't matter to me because yes, generally speaking I'm happier now and handle stress far better than I used to (going for a run after a hectic day is way better than scarfing down a bag of Doritos or half a dozen granola bars......)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm a happier person now.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I definitely get that endorphin high after a workout!! I'm like Miss Giddy Pants...do I feel happier ALL the time, no but I'm not down and out. For me working out releases a lot of tension, yoga helps me clear my mind, and running helps me solve problems (I run through the list in my head as I run LOL)...if I wasn't working out I don't know when I'd have the time to do all those things as I'm constantly running around like a chicken with my head cut off. :) I pretty much NEED exercise. :)
  • hkolsrud
    hkolsrud Posts: 1
    Options
    I've absolutely noticed a change after exercising. I was one of those that was always looking for the easy way out. "I'll just count calories and watch what foods I am consuming, no need to sweat a workout!". However, a co-worker and I began to take a walk around the parking lot once a day (part of an incentive offered to us through our health insurance).

Those walks soon became habit and they surely helped with the afternoon 'slump'. I noticed not being as stressed at work and actually looking forward to our walks. Since that began, we have increased our walks to twice a day (2 miles total) and I am using a fitness workout at home 30 min. a day/ 5 days a week.

I never thought I'd ever 'look forward' to working out, but I always feel so much better! It has helped with the moods, my weight loss goals, and my confidence level.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely in a happier place. Could be the endorphins, could be the weight loss, could be both. I do know I feel MUCH better after I've worked out.

I've never heard anyone say "Gosh, I really wish I hadn't done that workout".
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I'm still the same angry, cynical and misanthropic person I always was, if not more so, but I do feel better about myself especially after my workout.
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I believe it's actually been documented with research backing it that exercise (and the endorphins) are a natural way to battle depression.

On a not serious note, this 100% made me think of Legally Blonde: (when talking about a fitness instructor accused of killing her husband) "Exercise creates endorhpins, endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't just kill their husbands." I just couldn't resist... :)
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I don't know if the exercising/weight loss alone has made me happier, but I consider myself a more calm, balanced person now. Things that used to really upset me barely register now. I also think that many people, like myself, probably started exercising as one of several steps taken toward a happier, more balanced life, and it's a combination of everything that results in a more positive outlook.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    On a not serious note, this 100% made me think of Legally Blonde: (when talking about a fitness instructor accused of killing her husband) "Exercise creates endorhpins, endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't just kill their husbands." I just couldn't resist... :)

I thought the exact same thing :smile:
  • tammyclair
    Options
    Definitely happier! This time last year I tried to take my 2–year-old granddaughter on a picnic and was injured getting up and down off the blanket  very disturbing. This year – for my birthday – we flew a kite, skipped, and touched the sky from the swing. I had so much fun and am still smiling 4 days later. My kids are still laughing. And they have video!
  • MrsMrtz
    MrsMrtz Posts: 73
    Options
    I work out in the mornings so it sets my day ... I'm happy on my in to work and full of energy. I have noticed that when I don't workout and "sleep in", I'm crouchy and tired!
  • SUSIE091
    SUSIE091 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I definitely get that endorphin high after a workout!! I'm like Miss Giddy Pants...do I feel happier ALL the time, no but I'm not down and out. For me working out releases a lot of tension, yoga helps me clear my mind, and running helps me solve problems (I run through the list in my head as I run LOL)...if I wasn't working out I don't know when I'd have the time to do all those things as I'm constantly running around like a chicken with my head cut off. :) I pretty much NEED exercise. :)
    [/quote

snap :) ]
  • SUSIE091
    SUSIE091 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I work out in the mornings so it sets my day ... I'm happy on my in to work and full of energy. I have noticed that when I don't workout and "sleep in", I'm crouchy and tired!

snap :)
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options

I thought the exact same thing :smile:

When I was telling my hubby a couple of the reasons my MIL should go to the gym, one was "She is always complaining about being fat.", another was "She says she's 'depressed' so it may help her with that." and another was "Exercise creates endorphin's, endorphin's make you happy, happy people don't just yell at their kids."
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Spot on!!!! I never feel as good (ok, maybe sometimes...lol) as when I get done working out. Like they say, I have never, ever,ever worked out and regretted it. :)
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    If I sing "I feel good" one more time to my husband after exercising I think he'll throttle me. So, yes, there is something to exercising that makes you feel good.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Exercise is my drug. It's less expensive then meth and I get to keep my teeth too!
  • KatyMalkin
    Options
    I agree. This is only my second week of proper exercise but on days I don't exercise I wish I was!
  • kford12
    kford12 Posts: 112
    Options
    I'm still the same angry, cynical and misanthropic person I always was, if not more so, but I do feel better about myself especially after my workout.

Haha! :laugh: