how much do you burn?

Options
i was just wondering how many calories everyone burns doing a typical exercise session?

i burn around 800-1000 if my exercise is at the gym, if im at home it'l be around 250-400 depending on what im doing

im just being nosey to see what everyone else does :tongue:

katie
xxx

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    i was just wondering how many calories everyone burns doing a typical exercise session?

i burn around 800-1000 if my exercise is at the gym, if im at home it'l be around 250-400 depending on what im doing

im just being nosey to see what everyone else does :tongue:

katie
    xxx

I don't go to a gym, I'm WAY too cheap for THAT! :laugh:
    Between my walking, jogging and sometimes dancing, I only burn like 250 to 350 or so a day. But, it's usually enough to up my numbers so that I have enough numbers for everything that I want to eat, and that's what matters to me! :laugh:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Because of time constraints and my endurance levels, I usually don't burn more than 200 calories a day. It could be a little more due to the fact that I use weight training and the afterburn is there - so exactly? I'm not sure....

It mystifies me how to find time to get more burn in - I see that others burn 500 + + calories each workout and that just boggles my mind.
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    It can vary for me. I like to go to the gym and use the elliptical - if I turn up the resistance it says I'm burning 600+ for my 45 minute workout. Now if this is correct, then I'm golden, if not, then I'm eating calories I shouldn't. I also try some days to mix it up - 15 minutes of biking, 15 of walking, 15 of rowing. I always try to fit some weight in after, so don't know how much that really burns. Gotta get me a HRM.
  • getfitter2009
    Options
    Hey CurvyKatie

In 1 session I burn approx 750cals doing 60 mins cardio and around 400cals doing 60 mins strength training (gym), I do that twice a week. And then i do a Body Pump class twice a week which burns around 500-600 cals per session. And on Saturday i do body combat which again burns approx 500 cals.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I work out at home and burn roughly 500-600 cals a session
    I usually do sprints on the treadmill and/or J/M DVD's and yoga....I usually work out for 45min-1hr 15min
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Don't forget if I am considerably heavier then you [or vice versa], I will likely burn more calories then you doing the same intensity workout... at my weight, and from what i have seen others about my weight and height who wear a HRM, during a one hour class of zumba burn anywhere from 500-900+ cals :smile:

PG:flowerforyou:
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I always do about 400-500 cals depending on what I'm doing! OMG I can't believe some people burn 1000 :noway:
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    If I am at the gym, in an hour I can burn 400. I ALWAYS use a HRM. The machines can be off by as much as 30-40%. When I cycle I can burn 500 an hour easily. I agree with the others, it all can depend on your height and weight. I am 5'7 and at my goal weight. I am in maintenence mode now.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Over the last six months I have really gotten in good cardio shape so I don't burn many calories. Weight lifting for 45minutes I will only burn about 50 calories. My heart rate just doesn't rise that much.

Running I burn between 250-800 calories depending on the distance.

Yoga I burn ~50 calories (slow hartha)

Walking 2 miles pushing a stroller in 90+ degree weather, I burn ~150 calories.

Saturdays are my long running days, which I like since that means I can be a little more splurging on my food too. :happy:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    It varies a lot depending on the type of activity and intensity. I burn the most calories when I run. According to my hrm approx 800-900 an hr. However, I am still 180lbs. When I am riding my recumbent bike at home I burn about 500 cals an hr.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Hey CurvyKatie

In 1 session I burn approx 750cals doing 60 mins cardio and around 400cals doing 60 mins strength training (gym), I do that twice a week. And then i do a Body Pump class twice a week which burns around 500-600 cals per session. And on Saturday i do body combat which again burns approx 500 cals.

Yeah Body Pump!
    I have worn my hrm to a few of the classes and I burn about 600-700 cals.
    Combat is a great class too but I have only gone a few times.
    Have you tried Body Flow? It's great on "off" workout days to help stretch out and relax.
    Our gym started new releases a few weeks ago and they had a 3 hrs marathon where you could try 30mins classes. I tried spinning and Body jam for the first time. I have no rythm so I didn't like Jam but spinning was awesome. It was hard, especially since I had already done 1.5 hrs of other classes, but it was a lot of fun.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I'm averaging 400-500 calories according to my HRM. I need to pump that up to 600 or more.
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I have also been burning about 800-1000 calories at the gym. I do a circuit now. I do 15-20 min on ellipitical, then do half my weights, then 15-20 min on treadmill then finish weights and most days do 15-20 min more on one of cardio machines. I find I can do higher intensity workout this way and burn more calories. I do use an HRM. When I walk at local college I usually burn about 300-600 depending on time I spend there and if I jog some. Doing short bursts of very high intensity does help up those calories burned. Hope this helps.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    On my walks I burn anywhere from 230-500 some depending on how far I walk. Usually my walks are between half an hour and an hour. On my bike I burn between 250 and 650, my rides are anywhere between 3 miles to 15 miles.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    My old exercise routine: a half hour of cardio during my lunch break -- just under 300 cals

Spin class: 45-55 minutes intense cardio -- 500+ cals

Running intervals, half hour -- 300+ cals

I try to keep it around 300-500 cals each workout.
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i do 10 minutes on a "wave" and 15 on a treadmill, 15 on a bike, and only get to about 150 calories according to the machines... i do crunches, lunges too, and some weights for a total workout of about 60 minutes..

doesnt seem like much compared to the rest of you but it wears me out!
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I burn about 380 calories an hour swimming breastroke and about 320 an hour cycling. The cycling seems to 'hurt' so much nmore, but the numbers are pretty similar! About 270 an hour walking at a decent pace.

Erika
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    Using a heart rate monitor and doing boot camp outdoors, I burn about 400 calories. Fast pace waling for an hour burns 360 calories.
    I would hate to burn 800 and have to eat those calories.
  • running_wiz
    Options
    Remember that the better shape you are in, the less calories you burn.

I mix it up at the gym. For example on Friday I ran 7 miles in a little over an hour and burned about 730 calories, Saturday I did the elliptical for 30minutes followed by weights and burned about 350, and then yesterday I did a 5 miler in under 45minutes and burned just over 450 calories.
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    When I am at the gym I will burn 750+ cals in 45 mins. on the Cybex. And then about 300 cals in 40 minutes for strength training. I don't count the excercise cals from strength training.