CHIA SEED energy!

Options

Replies

• chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I DEFINITELY have better runs when I eat these. They are pretty awesome and I love the taste/texture. I just eat them straight out of the bag. I take a spoon, scoop some out, crunch them up and wash down with a glass of water.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I use chia seeds every day, between 1-2 tablespoons. Usually 1T in my breakfast (cereal or in oatmeal or a pancake) and then another 1/2-1T later in the day in yogurt or something. Not sure if they really give me energy but they sure do help with um.....regularity (sorry if TMI).

I but a HUGE bag of them off Amazon, divide them into plastic containers and put all the containers in my freezer except the one I'm using stays in the fridge.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a bag through amazon. I've heard oatmeal, cereal, salads, smoothies, just eating them - any other suggestions for how they're good?
  • lysser
    lysser Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I put chia seed in protein shakes and I also bake them into low calorie/low sugar muffins. Absolutely makes a difference - helps me most with appetite, I am never tempted to snack during the days when I've had chia in the morning!
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I eat chia seeds twice a day, in my oatmeal and in my protein shakes!!! They have 2500 mg of Omega 3's!!! that is almost 3 times the amount of a fish oil supplement, and they also have 3 X the antioxidants as blueberries, tons of fiber and iron.... Chia seeds along with Goji berries are probably the two healthiest things on the planet!

I ate some goji berries that Chris gave me the other day, I love them, but don't like the price for a little bag of them. I need to look in chia seeds. Sounds good in oatmeal, what else can you eat them with? I need to find ways to up my calories. I am having a lot left over at the end of the day.
  • cuerdas1
    cuerdas1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I put them in my water and Yogurt.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
  • cc32676
    cc32676 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    bump. Sounds like something I'd like to check out...
  • hezzyhlo
    hezzyhlo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just started eating them! I found a great overnight oats recipe, it is so good (if you can get past the ugly green color! haha)

Start with a green monster smoothie:
    1 large handful fresh spinach or small handful of kale
    1 large ripe banana
    1.5 tbsp chia seeds (necessary for thickening)
    1 cup almond milk
    1/3 cup regular, rolled oats

1. In a blender, blend together the spinach, banana, chia seeds, and almond milk until smooth.

2. In a cereal bowl, add the oats and then pour the smoothie on top. Stir well until combined.

3. Place in fridge (uncovered is fine) overnight. Give it a good stir in the morning and then enjoy it cold, straight from the fridge. Add desired toppings as you wish such as nut butter, granola, coconut, fruit, etc.
  • cookingwithtrace
    Options
    there are a couple of commercial companies that make drinks with chia seeds now (Momma Chia, and a kombucha drink).. I make my own iced tea and add the seeds. The longer they soak the more omegas they release. I have also soaked them in milk, almond milk, protien drinks, etc. They can get quite thick like a tapioca pudding. You can grind them and add them to breads.. add them to oatmeal or salads.. here is a post I wrote last fall .. http://www.cookingwithtrace.com/2011/09/ch-ch-ch-chia-chia-drink.html
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I eat chia seeds twice a day, in my oatmeal and in my protein shakes!!! They have 2500 mg of Omega 3's!!! that is almost 3 times the amount of a fish oil supplement, and they also have 3 X the antioxidants as blueberries, tons of fiber and iron.... Chia seeds along with Goji berries are probably the two healthiest things on the planet!

I'm sold!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    People are always falling for pseudoscience when it comes to foods. Here are actual facts.
    Facts: “While chia seeds may be a good source of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), humans poorly convert ALA to the very long, highly unsaturated fatty acids that are cardioprotective,” says Dr. Donald B. Jump, a researcher at the Linus Pauling Institute. That is, your body needs to make the fatty acids EPA and DHA out of alpha-linolenic acid in order for it to be worth anything.

Read more: http://www.prevention.com/food/food-remedies/are-chia-seeds-worth-cost#ixzz1r5JCYfkm
    While it probably doesn't hurt to take them, your money could go to better costs like food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I thought about them till I saw the price, linseeds (hemp) are a less expensive "alternative" for some of the benefits psyllium husks for other benefits.... I'm keeping an open mind its the price that is restricting me at the moment
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I love chia seeds. I generally eat them in my greek yogurt or smoothies. I also used them in oatmeal sometimes.

I love that they are tasteless and so tiny. Kind of remind me of a poppy seed.

For whoever asked are these the same thing as chia pets, YES!
  • greengold
    greengold Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like to mix a tablespoon of chia seeds with peanut butter and dip a banana in it - makes a good pre-running fuel that digests easily. I think - though this is not conclusive - they may be giving me a bit of an energy boost when I run as well. (hard to tell becasue I usually also have caffeine (coffee or chocolate covered espresso beans) before/during.
  • fdlafon
    fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I thought about them till I saw the price, linseeds (hemp) are a less expensive "alternative" for some of the benefits psyllium husks for other benefits.... I'm keeping an open mind its the price that is restricting me at the moment

Doesn't hemp have a unique taste though? It's my understanding that the chia seeds take on the flavor of whatever they are being added too. ??? I don't know for sure, as I have never used them, but I did just order some on Amazon to try out!
    I bought 2 pounds, as my hubby and I will both be using them. I am hoping for some added energy, and a filler for some of my leftover calories! Thanks for the suggestion.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I want to try these now!
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    I just started experimenting with chia seeds on Monday. I've put them in cottage cheese and smoothies. I have no idea what is going on, but 20 minutes after taking them, I get super sleepy
  • EmilyLStuart
    Options
    Duplicate. Sorry