Treadmill VS Ellipticals

Options
So I have a question... I have a treadmill at home and that has contributed greatly to my weight loss so far. However, I'm curious as to an elliptical. I do arm movements while on the treadmill but, to me, it doesn't seem to be enough. I feel like if I had an elliptical I would get greater benefit.

I found one at the *gasp* evil place for $149. You can see it here:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-Rider-Cardio-Dual-Trainer-with-Seat/17773097?findingMethod=Recommendation:wm:RecentlyViewedItems

It looks small and compact. The reviews seem to be good. What do y'all think?

Replies

• CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i have a treadmill and an ellliptical and the elliptical is by far my favorite! i feel like i get a better workout in a shorter amount of time on the elliptical. i also find it's a little more challenging than the treadmill which keeps me from getting bored as quickly...
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Are you looking at an elliptical to increase your arm workouts? (that's what it sounded like in your original post). If that's your motivation I'd say stick the with the treadmill and invest in some weights instead (either to use during your arm movements on the treadmill or to do some separate weight training).

I like the ellitpcal for lower impact exercise (particularly for my knees) and I like to switch between pedaling forwards and backwards. I find the moving arm supports on the elliptical help me keep my muscles loose, particularly if they're sore after weights. But I wouldn't say it helps at all for muscle tone. You need weights for that.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    A cheap elliptical is not worth the money you pay for it. I find they do more harm than good. My gym has some cheapo ones, and I am having major back pains in just 5 minutes! The treadmills are so much better. A GOOD elliptical is worth the money, but I'm talking serveral thousand $. We're looking at a gym supplier for ours, when we eventually get one.
  • latinabubbles
    Options
    No. Just to try and get a better workout. I recently bought a kettle bell set. Doing a Jillian Michaels DVD with it. And I LOVE it. I didn't think I would, but I am.

I just feel like I'm ready for an elliptical. Plus the fact that it's smaller. I just want to make sure it's study and would it be a better benefit workout wise.
  • latinabubbles
    Options
    i have a treadmill and an ellliptical and the elliptical is by far my favorite! i feel like i get a better workout in a shorter amount of time on the elliptical. i also find it's a little more challenging than the treadmill which keeps me from getting bored as quickly...

That's what I was thinking. I think the workout would be a little better, more calories burned, etc...
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    gracienkaidens_momma Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've had both and I love the elliptical more. I feel like I get a better (all over body) workout from it.
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    A cheap elliptical is not worth the money you pay for it. I find they do more harm than good. My gym has some cheapo ones, and I am having major back pains in just 5 minutes! The treadmills are so much better. A GOOD elliptical is worth the money, but I'm talking serveral thousand $. We're looking at a gym supplier for ours, when we eventually get one.

I agree with this also. I've found some of the more compact ellipticals to be *really* hard on my joints and the stride motion to be uncomfortable, especially for more than 5-10 minutes. I tend to burn a comparable number of calories on both the treadmill and elliptical but it depends greatly on what you're doing. You can easily burn more calories on either depending on the routine you do.

But also if you really think you'll enjoy the elliptical workouts more, use it more and push yourself more, then why not give it a shot.
  • SuperSnoopy
    SuperSnoopy Posts: 3,464 Member
    Options
    I use both at the gym a lot. The elliptical is good for me becuse of the low impact on my Knees, but I love to run on the tredmill. I guess you should try both if you can, that way you cant loose!. Good luck. XX
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    shrinkinginQualicum Posts: 131 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking. I think the workout would be a little better, more calories burned, etc...

I have both too, and love them both. I probably use the elliptical more, it is less boring. I think though, that the amount of arm workout is actually minimal. I'm pretty sure you can burn the same amount of calories on either, it's more a case of which you enjoy the most, because that's the one you'll use. Make sure you buy one that has programs though,or it will be just as boring. I find that it keeps the arthritis in my hips from getting bad. If I miss several days, I find my hips hurt at night when I lay on my side.
    It's important to get one that fits you right. I had one that hurt my knees, and the back pain one member mentioned may be from bad fit as well. I bought both of mine used, and recommend that. They are waaay cheaper that way, and if it's not what you hoped you are not out as much money.
  • Jstewartdesigns
    Jstewartdesigns Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you decide to use, don't use your hands! My trainer has encouraged me to use both without holding on for core balance. It works and does give you a great workout. I agree with the above . . . to tone arms, use weights.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    My friend has a Gazelle and it gives her a decent workout.

http://www.amazon.com/Gazelle-1278CT-Freestyle/dp/B00005OU5T/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333559069&sr=8-2

I typically wouldn't recommend an inexpensive piece of exercise equipment (you get what you pay for), but because I have seen hers and know that it gets the job done and supports her weight (around 220 pounds), I feel good about this recommendation.

Honestly, I would stick with your treadmill and your new kettlebell/JM DVD routine, though.
  • clehman71
    clehman71 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I use both the treadmill and elliptical. I feel I get a better workout on the elliptical by setting the program with varying resistance. It keeps it from being boring, and you can get an amazing cardio out of the high resistance.
  • ddog6
    ddog6 Posts: 13
    Options
    I too agree that the cheap ellipticals actually are worse and not comfortable at all!! I spent like $150 on one and it hurt my knees/joints worse than a treadmill... we got the Nordic Trak elliptical for about $900 (on sale I think normall like $2k) but it's MUCH more comfortable to use... I definitely wouldn't waste money on a cheaper version they also don't seem as sturdy.. my Nordic only takes up about 2ft of space total in the room it's in so it's pretty small but it doesn't fold up or anything. Also make sure you get the ride stride length based on your height! If you get too short or too long you can cause more damage to your joints than good!
  • latinabubbles
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice. :smile:
  • mgero212
    mgero212 Posts: 96
    Options
    Treadmills are great but I love the elliptical more. Its a lot easier on my knees and shins.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I prefer a treadmill to an elliptical as the ellipticals make my poor feet go numb. What about increasing your speed or adding in an incline on the treadmill? You'll get a workout if you do one or both of those.

Maybe I'm biased because I don't like the elliptical, but I feel like a treadmill gives you more options - walking, no incline, jogging, incline, running, etc.
  • kanmuri
    kanmuri Posts: 112
    Options
    I think the main advantage of the ellipticals is the absence of impact, which is better for your knees. Personally I prefer the treadmill; the elliptical gives me motion sickness... I know, it's ridiculous T_T But it's true!
  • ambrwaves27
    ambrwaves27 Posts: 206
    Options
    I dont know about that particular model but am an elipticall fan in general. I get shin splints pretty easily and it allows me to do cardio with out the hard impact. It is also more practical for a quick workout then swimming.
  • WiegandS
    WiegandS Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i like the treadmill because I burn 130+ calories running in 10 minutes than i would on an elliptical because my body fatigues faster with the resistance... but that's just me. Considering you can't spot reduce, the arm movements are useless seeing as your legs do 95% of the work. I use the elliptical, but nothing gets your heart rate going like running on a treadmill.. even for 10 minutes
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I don't peronally own either (but I have a gym membership). I must say that the elliptical is my favorite, but I have actually been enjoying myself on the treadmill at 3.8 mph, 12% incline - talk about a workout. I do the elliptical atleast once a week, but I like to change things up. JMO