Pole Dancing for Exercise?

Options
So, I've heard that pole dancing is an AWESOME workout (in more than one way, I'm sure). I plan on taking up classes as soon as Groupon brings it up again. Has anyone else ever done it? Exercise or not, success?

Replies

• CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT. I was almost to prude to try it, but it was a blast. It is major upper body strength! Think of doing a pull-up- and then holding yourself there. I've only done it once, but I really want to install a pole in my basement for the workouts!
  • ineedglasses
    ineedglasses Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Think of doing a pull-up- and then holding yourself there.

And then holding yourself upside down and just with your legs. It is a great workout. I would recommend checking out the Pole Dancing group.
  • alharbour
    alharbour Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think it would be fun and a great workout. Unfortunately I live in a rural area and nothing like that is offered here. But I would so totally do it if it were!
  • kyunda
    kyunda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have "tired" to take a pole class. They are extremely fun but they are a true workout!!! I have a new respect for strippers. I wish i had the upper body strength. I would recommend it, i'm thinking about giving it another try.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I'm considering opening up a pole-dancing gym in my bedroom for the pole dancers to get their exercise. :devil: :happy:
  • Slimmasaurus
    Slimmasaurus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Definitely go for it! It's a GREAT work out, really fun and it'll make you feel a bit sexy too :P
  • Myndi73
    Myndi73 Posts: 270
    Options
    I've taken a couple of classes and LOVED it. You work hard. I left with a couple of ankle bruises from bashing into the pole. As someone else stated, I left with a HUGE respect for the "real" pole dancers.
  • LilysMom28
    LilysMom28 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I took ONE class. I was so sore the next day I could hardly walk!! LOL A great workout and so fun!!!!
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Extremely physical workout. I did a one hour variety class at a local gym that sepcializes in pole dancing and other titillating exercises. I really enjoyed it, lots of laughing and I could see lots of room for improvement where I would not be bored with the workpouts any time soon. I knew I had a really good workout when I woke up the next morning with sore abs (and all kinds of other muscles I didn't know I had in my abdomen, chest and back.) I physically hurt for two weeks after that class.

Would I do it again? If I had the money to take the classes I would in a heartbeat.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I've taken a few classes. It's lots of fun and a great workout!
  • Andrea681
    Andrea681 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I bought a Pole Dancing package from Groupon a few weeks ago and I LOVE it! It is so fun and liberating and it makes you feel very sexy. I would highly reccomend it. Plus, my boyfriend likes what I've learned as well...haha.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Pol dancing looks like it could be a decent workout, and fun, but I don't see what's so "sexy" about it.

lowiczanie.jpg
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I loved it but was so rubbish as i have no upper body strength.. I would love to be able to do it more and build up my strength.. Also i ended up with loads of bruises on the inside of my thighs from it but they say your skin toughens up. Go for it! Its such fun!
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I've been pole dancing for 8 or 9 months now. The fitness gains are unbelievable. I really never thought I'd be able to lift myself upside down... now I'm doing that and more! For me, it really complements purer cardio exercises like running. Pole is a good balance between cardio and strength.

P.S.

a) make sure you have a GOOD instructor. There are guides on the internet for making sure you have a good instructor!

b) expect bruises and be proud of them!
  • Crys32
    Crys32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm considering opening up a pole-dancing gym in my bedroom for the pole dancers to get their exercise. :devil: :happy:

Hahahahahahaha! That's awesome.
  • MinkyMoo13
    Options

How much you charging lol?
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

Free membership!
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I took one with a bunch of friends...instead of going out to eat for one of my girls bday celebration we took a private class, about 8 of us! We all loved it...I could hardly move the next day and had many bruises but it was so worth it, and i would do it again!
  • MinkyMoo13
    Options

Free membership!

Ohh! Where do i sign up??
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!
    I'll be jumping on a pole the next chance I get!