What is this HRM you speak of?

Options
Okay, I know what a heart rate monitor is...basically an attachment to track my heart rate. So what else does it do? How much are they? What brands are good? Is it worth the investment? Etc. Thanks, all opinions welcome.

Replies

• liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have a Polare FT7 HRM and it has been instrumental in my sucess. In additon to heart rate you can program it with your height/weight/age, etc. and it tracks calories burned in a few different zones, suggests future training, and keeps your settings so that you can upload them on your computer.

Its too much to list, but the most beneficial thing has been to know how many calories I'm REALLY burning. I used MFP burn estimates, and they were way off... so I ate too many exercise calories back.

Having the HRM also motivates me to go to the gym, I get this ugly message that says "train more" when I miss a day.

Well worth the investment in my opinion. Plus it's a very cute pink.
  • DianeG213
    DianeG213 Posts: 253
    Options
    I have a Polare FT7 HRM and it has been instrumental in my sucess. In additon to heart rate you can program it with your height/weight/age, etc. and it tracks calories burned in a few different zones, suggests future training, and keeps your settings so that you can upload them on your computer.

Its too much to list, but the most beneficial thing has been to know how many calories I'm REALLY burning. I used MFP burn estimates, and they were way off... so I ate too many exercise calories back.

Having the HRM also motivates me to go to the gym, I get this ugly message that says "train more" when I miss a day.

^ this - except I prefer red.
  • irisia99
    irisia99 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my HRM. It's great while working out because it lets me know where I am. I don't feel comfortable getting my calories burned from any other source. I have a Garmin Forerunner 210. It's a GPS watch so it's expensive if you just need a HRM. I was running a lot when I bought the watch and I love how it give pace and distance too. I love numbers and data! I used to have a Polar which I liked a lot but then the battery died and I never got it replaced.
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    I did look into it more. I don't think I'd like to have a new watch, so those are out. Many of them come with chest bands, wondering if they are more accurate? If I ever become a runner I may consider a HRM. I just don't think it would help me at this point. I use the readings from the exercise equiptment at the gym and adjust the minutes to reflect those calories in the MFP. I think the gym equiptment is more accurate since it already tracks my HR, I input my wt, time, and resistance. So I will be sticking with that for now. I used to wear a pedometer but think the readings are only accurate if your walking at the same stride constantly.
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You should definitely get one with a chest strap - they're far more accurate. The readings from the gym equipment compared to what I get from the HRM are usually WAY off. It'll make a difference if you eat your workout calories. Also a lot of the gym equipment picks up the signal from your HRM so you can see it on the display as well as on the watch. Also those little pads you hold onto on the gym equipment have never been able to accurately read my HR, even before I had a HRM. Again this makes the most difference if you're eating your workout calories.

I have a Polar FT60. It's a bit more expensive but it gives me goals for the week in terms of workout time, time spent in each HR zone and calories for the week. It's really helped me step up my workouts and pushed me to exercise not only more, but in a more balanced way as far as tracking the HR zones.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I just have a cheapo one. It is called Pyle and I got it off Amazon. I like it!
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7. I found it was a lot more accurate than entering my stats into the gym equipment because the HRM tracks my own heart rate, not what the equipment thinks my heart rate might be. My HRM is also more accurate than MFP.

Mine is a red watch with a chest strap. I like the FT7 because it holds more training data files than the Polar FT4 does. Having my HRM has been a huge motivator for me because I'm no longer guessing at how hard I'm working out.
  • JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've had a Polar HRM for years. I have the F55 (not sure if they even make it anymore) and love it. I use it all the time to track my calorie burn and feel weird working out without it. It is definitely worth the price.
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options

This but i have ft4 does slightly less, but is vry good!
  • gmtaylor07
    gmtaylor07 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have the same HRM! I want to throw it across the room when the weekly result say "train more!" I want to marry it when it says "trained as planned!" I really like it, not cheap but worth the cost to know what zone I should be in based on my goals.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options

i just ordered the ft4 should be getting it any day now :)
  • gmtaylor07
    gmtaylor07 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

• MaudeBeige
    MaudeBeige Posts: 282
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 bought from a shop in the UK with 10% off if you can prove that you can get it cheaper elsewhere... Inbox me if you're in the UK! (£57ish!!!)

If you buy something else for about £30 it can also downloads onto your PC apparently... I haven't looked into it yet but I think I will.

I wish I had something to track distance. So far I don't think that the FT7 does this but I may be wrong.

x
  • Soupskin
    Soupskin Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ordered a Polar FT60 on Amazon for $125 today for my bday.

Chest straps are mandatory for accurate readings. I don't see how you could keep an eye on one without a wrist piece though.
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Azdak has a great blog about this. I ended up getting a Polar FT40 (Female) because of his blog. On amazon it was just under $110, but it's an accurate model including measuring my VO2 Max (which is very low).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • kcashwheeler
    kcashwheeler Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love mine! I never workout without it... Mine is so essential to me b/c it gives me soemthing concrete to measure my workouts. The one I wear tracks many things, but I use it mostly to measure heart rate, count calories and distance.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I did look into it more. I don't think I'd like to have a new watch, so those are out. Many of them come with chest bands, wondering if they are more accurate? If I ever become a runner I may consider a HRM. I just don't think it would help me at this point. I use the readings from the exercise equiptment at the gym and adjust the minutes to reflect those calories in the MFP. I think the gym equiptment is more accurate since it already tracks my HR, I input my wt, time, and resistance. So I will be sticking with that for now. I used to wear a pedometer but think the readings are only accurate if your walking at the same stride constantly.

You can just enter the correct calories into MFP, you don't need to adjust the time. Enter time, then enter calorie burn. Great job btw!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Timex (triathlon version for waterproof), about $60~ works perfectly for what I wanted. Tell me my calories. That's all I really want to know.

It's white (the watch) and has a chest strap.

Don't bother with any that don't have chest straps.
  • cattracy0829
    cattracy0829 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I use the Body Bugg and I love it. It does not track heart rate - but it is 90% accurate on tracking calories burned (and you wesr it on your upper arm, not your chest). It also tracks activity time, steps taken, etc.

Best Investment I ever made in working out. Knowing about how many calories you are really burning helps so much in the weight loss battle.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options

i just ordered the ft4 should be getting it any day now :)

You will love it!