High sodium in cottage cheese!!?!?

Options
FammaMel
FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
I never realized how high in sodium cottage cheese was. I was just reading over my numbers for the day and thinking cottage cheese was a good choice for the day... at 410 mg per 1/2 cup I guess I won't be eating that too often.

Does anyone else pay attention to their sodium intake?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    All cheese is high in sodium. Actually anything processed is worth taking a look at. Have a half serving.
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yeah I wanted to buy myself some cottage cheese to snack on but after reading the labels I put it back and stepped away slowly (lol!). Delicious, but I don't want my *kitten* and thighs to resemble it! :laugh:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Some things are nutritious enough that they're worth any "negative" aspects they come with... I'd say cottage cheese is one of them
  • FammaMel
    Options
    Yeah I wanted to buy myself some cottage cheese to snack on but after reading the labels I put it back and stepped away slowly (lol!). Delicious, but I don't want my *kitten* and thighs to resemble it! :laugh:

LOL! That's the first thing I thought. I will stick to 1/2 serving once in a while. Unfortunately, I had already planned two 1/2 cup servings in my day today. Oh well, I suppose its still better than some choices. In the future I will stick to my Chobani yogurt.
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
    breakstone's has a low fat low sodium cottage cheese that is very tasty and you still get a 1/2 cup serving...maybe something to look into?
    i love it plain or with toppings...
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    On a normal day do you have difficulty keeping your sodium under it's limit? I generally don't. My difficult days are the ones where I splurge and let's face it...I'm not eating cottage cheese on those days LOL.

So, just make sure you make lower sodium choices the rest of the day and you're good!
  • kcashwheeler
    kcashwheeler Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes, I watch my sodium intake now only b/c my personal tainer called it to my attention...She pointed out some days I would take in twice as much sodium as a person should have in one day. I thought calories added up fast...
  • JennBona
    JennBona Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Scotsburn has 50% less sodium cottage cheese 230mg of sodium per 1/2 cup.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Anyone know of a FULL FAT, Low Sodium cottage cheese?
  • FammaMel
    Options
    On a normal day do you have difficulty keeping your sodium under it's limit? I generally don't. My difficult days are the ones where I splurge and let's face it...I'm not eating cottage cheese on those days LOL.

So, just make sure you make lower sodium choices the rest of the day and you're good!

It really depends. I eat fairly clean and have been surprised at the sodium I take in even when eating well. This is all new to me. I'm used to watching my calories, fiber, protein and carbs. I will definitely just make sure I pay attention to the rest of the days choices. And, I will look into the low sodium cottage cheese. I love it on my toast in the morning for a change from an egg.
  • FammaMel
    Options
    Yes, I watch my sodium intake now only b/c my personal tainer called it to my attention...She pointed out some days I would take in twice as much sodium as a person should have in one day. I thought calories added up fast...

I am new to watching my sodium and have been very surprised how quickly it adds up. I can only imagine what it was like on the days when I wasn't eating healthy.