Stomach is a bottomless pitt

Options
The day after a tough workout, my stomach is always a bottomless black hole. It doesn't seem to matter how much I eat or what types of food I eat, I can't seem ditch the hunger. I've tried extra protein, I've tried extra carbs, I usually end up just drinking lots of water or green tea but then I start to feel like I have an ocean in my tummy, not to mention the endless bathroom breaks...
FYI, I do eat my exercise calories, or at least 80% of them, so its not that I'm not consuming enough on the work out day.

Anyone else experience this? What do you do?

Replies

• nakarinna
    nakarinna Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you're talking about, because I often have the same problem. My suggestion would be to look at the timing of your post-workout snacks. You don't say what your eating plan is on the day of the tough workout, but for me the ONLY thing that ever heads off this hunger is if I have a recovery snack (aiming for the recommended 4:1 carb-protein ratio) within 30-45 minutes of completing the workout. I think that what I do during that "window" is really the deciding factor for how hungry I feel over the next 24 hours. If you don't currently eat a post-workout snack on your tough days, you may want to try it to see if it works for you. Good luck!
  • NinjaChickie
    NinjaChickie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
    I usually eat breakfast or dinner within 45 mins of working out depending on what time of day it is.
  • kalikelli
    kalikelli Posts: 22
    Options
    When water or a small snack won't cut it I've been heading to the freezer and steaming 4-5 cups of veggies usually broccoli. Sometimes it just feels like nothing is going to fill that hunger and this has been a go to I've been using a week or so now and thus far has worked for me thankfully.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    A large pear chopped up with greek yoghurt seems to do the trick for me, especially followed by a hot drink of some sort.