5k Question from non-runner

So I just started trying to run but I want to sign up for a 5k in May. The thing is can i sign up for it when I am not sure i can run the whole thing? Sometimes I have to walk for a couple of minutes here and there cause i lose pace and end up out of breath. Or do i just sign up for the walking part and try to run that? Any suggestions?

Replies

• Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Go ahead and register! Run what you can, walk if you need to and have fun!! There will be plenty of folks who walk the entire 5K, so don't worry about that. If you would like to work on improving your endurance between now and race day, look into an interval training program such as Couch to 5K.
  • tobirhae
    tobirhae Posts: 108 Member
    Sign up as a runner and run what you can. Don't worry about what other people are doing. You'll do great!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Go for it! It's the best way to motivate you to get in the training! I'm doing the C25k program, and I wasn't getting any progress until I signed up for my 5k at the beginning of May! Now I will finish the program with a week to spare!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Lots of people - even runners, myself included - walk if they need to walk a little. Go for it! You'll probably surprise yourself.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Sounds like there's a spot on the registration for if you are a runner or walker? Sign up for the run portion, do what you can and then walk if necesary. You might want to check out the Couch 2 5K program...that will get you headed in the right direction. There might not be enough time to complete the program before your run, but it will give you a progam and a plan so you don't get too defeated if you need to walk more than run. Sign up for it - races are so much fun!!
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Lots of folks walks 5k's. Just enjoy it and do the ebst you can. Almost every one sees improvement from their 1st 5k to their next one.
  • greeneyes191
    greeneyes191 Posts: 78 Member
    I would definately start doing the Couch to 5k. There is also a version of it that someone converted for a treadmill. When I started, I probably could not have run for 30 seconds. I'm now in my 5th week and looking at running 8 minutes straight.
    If you can't run the whole 5k, don't force yourself into an injury.
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement! I am signing up for the run!
  • PaddlingTriGirl
    PaddlingTriGirl Posts: 13 Member
    Try running at a slower pace... over time you will speed up and eventually not have to take walk breaks!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Run it. You still have over a month to train and even if you do have to take a couple of walk breaks, so what?

I'm registered for my first 5k in June. I thought it was a run but found out later that it's a timed race so I not only have to build up my stamina so I can finish, but I have to work on speed too. Yikes!! At least I have almost 3 months to do it.
  • lisapisa1
    lisapisa1 Posts: 115
    just run it ya sissy hahahaha just kidding. all the 5ks i've ever done, i've signed up for the run and i don't think i've ever ran 100% of one of them.