why is it telling me to eat LESS THAN my BMR?

Options
isn't that wrong? My BMR is about 1440 cal, yet myfitness is recommending I eat only 1200 cal a day.

to me, that seems counter-intuitive, given what we know about 'starvation diets". Won't my metabolism just go down if i eat 1200/day? how can i change my setpoint so that I feel good about myself for keeping "within" my calories? but reset it to about 1450?

(this may also help my.. I feel exhausted and starving post!)

Replies

• LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    isn't that wrong? My BMR is about 1440 cal, yet myfitness is recommending I eat only 1200 cal a day.

to me, that seems counter-intuitive, given what we know about 'starvation diets". Won't my metabolism just go down if i eat 1200/day? how can i change my setpoint so that I feel good about myself for keeping "within" my calories? but reset it to about 1450?

(this may also help my.. I feel exhausted and starving post!)
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    This, in my humble, non-medical opinion. . .is the one flaw in the system.

Unless one is seriously overweight, you shouldn't eat below your BMR.

Also, you may want to check what you set your activity level to in your settings. "Sedentary" is too little for many people. I just checked your profile, and you're a nurse? So not sedentary!

Under "home" "settings" "diet/fitness profile" you can change your calorie goals, or aim for a less agressive pound per week number.

:flowerforyou:
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You can manually set your goals. Or maybe you'll have to go for 1 or .5 lb per week...

Also, protein keeps many people fuller for longer. You could up that a notch or two...
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    thanks, I put "light activity" because I'm a nurse and it specifially states it thinks a nurse qualifies for "light activity" although some days I would severely beg to differ. (especially in the ER!)
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Mine is the same way - it says my BMR is about 2100 Calories per day, but its telling me to eat 1400 calories per day. However, I feel that I do fit pretty squarely into the "seriously overweight" category since I'm off the chart when it comes to my BMI.

I've been following the 1400 Calorie thing, and trying to exercise more. Considering how much better I feel in general I think its been pretty spot on in my situation.