1 lb body weight = 1 gram protein

Options
is this true, regardles of whether you're trying to lose or gain weight? that would mean i need to eat 250 grams of protein per day.

now the dumb question, is there a pill that can give me 250 grams of protein? because i don't feel like eating 6 chicken breasts every day.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    Lean body weight. ...so subtract out your lean body weight and eat that in grams of protein. You don't have to protein-feed your body fat.
  • UUZennie
    UUZennie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sounds like broscience, dude.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    or .8g protein / kg .36g protein/ lb

If you weigh 250 you need around 90g of protein daily (more if you're bodybuilding)
  • spoulsen82
    spoulsen82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i would definitely NOT eat 250g of protein in one day... i don't even know how you could!
    as far as i know of, there are no "magic protein pills." there are tons of protein powders out there though. also consider beans! they get a bad wrap but have tons of the stuff.
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I aim for a gram of protein for what my goal weight is. Even still it's hard to consume enough protein. I lift weights for about 30-45 min a day so I want the protein to build muscle back.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    LEAN body mass! Not body weight lol
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    they use 1g per lb of body weight as a generalization, because most people don't know or are too lazy to find out their lbm....just sayin

and no it is not broscience. Here is a handy link to aid in figuring out your macros

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981&page=1
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    or .8g protein / kg .36g protein/ lb

If you weigh 250 you need around 90g of protein daily (more if you're bodybuilding)

I would shoot for .8g of protein per lb, even if just eating at a deficit and doing cardio. Otherwise a person could lose a lot of lbm
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    rough number to aim for is 1lb per lbm but if you want to be sure you can also do bw... you also don't have to eat 6 chicken breasts a day.. you can eat whatever you want.. getting in your daily protein requirement is so easy.. no excuses should be made.
  • spaceys
    spaceys Posts: 58
    Options
    thanks guys!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    is this true, regardles of whether you're trying to lose or gain weight? that would mean i need to eat 250 grams of protein per day.

now the dumb question, is there a pill that can give me 250 grams of protein? because i don't feel like eating 6 chicken breasts every day.

I doubt it--if that were the case I would have to eat WAY over calorie limit per day just for protein alone.
  • BrittanieGo
    BrittanieGo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist says half of your GOAL weight in protein, for me, my goal is 150 so I aim for a min of 75 a day protein
  • drewguard1
    Options
    My nutritionist says half of your GOAL weight in protein, for me, my goal is 150 so I aim for a min of 75 a day protein
    Sorry - time to sack your 'Nutritionist' - thats the most ridiculous b.s. I think I've ever read?!!

Yeas, eat 1g of Protein per 1lb of CURRENT Lean Body Mass - it enables you to retain your lean mass whilst dieting... To add muscle, you would eat more, I've seen people recommend 2g+ per 1lb lean body mass, but in all honesty, 1.5g is sufficient.

All of these numbers and recommendations (Regardless of goals) are of course in conjunction with a healthy diet containing protein, carbs and fats as well as having an active lifestyle and exercising regularly...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Sorry - time to sack your 'Nutritionist' - thats the most ridiculous b.s. I think I've ever read?!!

Yeas, eat 1g of Protein per 1lb of CURRENT Lean Body Mass - it enables you to retain your lean mass whilst dieting... To add muscle, you would eat more, I've seen people recommend 2g+ per 1lb lean body mass, but in all honesty, 1.5g is sufficient.

All of these numbers and recommendations (Regardless of goals) are of course in conjunction with a healthy diet containing protein, carbs and fats as well as having an active lifestyle and exercising regularly...
    Personally I believe the nned for protein is increased while dieting, and when building muscle there's a broad range that works and it's not conclusive....carbs are protein sparing as well. i normally recommend 1g/lb/lbm for people building muscle and 1.5 for people dieting and I'm also taking for granted these people are lifting weights to maintain or build muscle. imo