help a newbie with crunches and push-ups!

Options
A quick question, I did lesson 1 of the 30 day shred - and daft as it sounds, I dont know if im doing crunches right! She says to make sure you use your abs (obviously) and emphasises on not to use the neck. So my question is, I can't stop using my neck, I can really feel it straining and i'm not sure if i'm using my abs properly.
I just cant do it any other way? Help me I don't know if i'm doing it right or not!

Oh, & also. I was following anita? The easy one.. And I find the push ups near on impossible, I barely go down at all! Please tell me this will somehow get easier!

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me NOT use my neck is to put my arms at my sides rather than putting my hands behind my head. Another way to help locate the correct muscle is to do a reverse sit up......lay down with your knees up and lift you knees towards your face, lifting with your lower abs, keeping your back flat on the floor. Or lay down with your legs straight up in the air and lift your hips/butt. Both of those can help you feel your abs a little more than a traditional sit up and isolate the muscles you should be using.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    On the push ups, start in the down position and push yourself up for the first rep. That will give you a little momentum boost. You may only do one or two. You will build up to more as time goes on. Make a conscious to always bang out just one more rep each time you do them.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    For me, it was easier once I really started listening to what she was saying. Always look at the ceiling. It helps to keep your neck in the right position. Think about pushing your belly button into the floor, and lifting your ribcage to try to touch your hips... etc.

As for the push-ups - i was the same way. If the girl pushups are still too hard, do a 45 degree push up or a 30 degree pushup. It doesn't matter what angle you start your body at. As long as you are using the proper form, you will build strength. Work your way into it, dont just jump right in. You could end up doing more harm than good! Also - think about doing the 100 Push Up Challenge! It has REALLY helped me. :)
  • scarlettgeorgia4
    scarlettgeorgia4 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! all taken on board! :)
  • melissa2807
    melissa2807 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I used to really feel my neck as well when doing crunches. I've just about cracked the technique now, my tip would be this:

When you are lieing in the start position (on your back with your knees bent) fix your eyes on a point on the ceiling that is level with the top of your head (so your eyes are kind of looking slightly behind you). Then imagine you have a grapefruit under your chin.
    As you crunch up, keep your eyes on this point and keep your imaginary grapefruit under your chin - you could probably use a real one if you wanted to haha! Push your chest towards the ceiling whilst keeping your neck relaxed - the more you focus on the abs the more you will feel it.

x
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    As far as crunches, I was always told to keep your chin pointed towards the ceiling as much as possible, and keep your elbows back. Allow your head to rest in your hands, and not only will you not strain your neck, you'll add a little resistance to your crunches. Hope that helps! Sorry, I'm not really any help with the push-ups. I can do some "girly" pushups, but I can knock out more doing them leaning on a counter or desk. Maybe you could use your couch or coffee table until you build up the strength to do them on the floor. :flowerforyou: