Protein Powders

Options
AmyM713
AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
Can you really only mix them with water or would a glass of fat free milk be okay instead? I had my first shake last night and it wasn't bad I enjoyed it but I think the chocolate flavor might be better in milk. Is there any reason I can't? I'm new to protein shakes so sorry if this is a silly question.

Replies

• sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know this as well. I've put mine in coffee, milk, OJ, and smoothies. Would like to know if it matters.
  • bullet1
    bullet1 Posts: 61
    Options
    I use Skim Milk or Almond Milk, tastes better. And no, there is no reason you can't mix them in whatever liquid you want.
  • AmyM713
    Options
    Thank you!
  • msmartsmart
    msmartsmart Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Almond milk tends to mix a little bit better and gives a smoother texture.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I do half rice milk half water just because rice milk is so high in carbs. But sometimes i'll do all rice milk and I like the consistency a bit better (it turns out a bitt thicker).
  • Southpaw3612
    Options
    Most people only go the water route to avoid the added calories and carbs of other drinks. If this isnt a problem, I would definitely go with milk as it tastes better.
  • ItsNot2Late
    Options
    I mix my vanilla powder with 8 oz reduced sugar orange juice or strawberry banana juice. I know it sounds kind of weird but it tastes divine.
  • jfield6
    jfield6 Posts: 56
    Options
    I just got the Jillian Michaels triple chocolate and I did not like it with water. It was my first time trying, but I just didn't like it. I'm hoping to try it with milk.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I use mine with unsweetened almond milk. Water would be gross.
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    I drink it with water, so as to keep the calories down, but you can mix it into whatever drink you wish. Try it with different liquids until you find something that works for you.
  • spoulsen82
    spoulsen82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use mine with unsweetened almond milk. Water would be gross.

i use plain milk for the same reason...
  • lorraine311
    lorraine311 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I use water, milk or juice
  • bruinstar
    bruinstar Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I add it in with my soy milk and it tastes much better than just mixing with water!
  • AmyM713
    Options
    I tried milk today and it wasn't bad but it didn't mix as well as I hoped. Oh well trial and error until I find the right combo.
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I can only stomach it in a smoothie. I use proteins + and I've tried it in all sorts of ways and I still prefer the smoothie.
  • bhall33
    bhall33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the water, although it always tastes better with milk, you eventually get used to it and save yourself on those calories everyday.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I mixed mine with some vanilla yogurt , it made a lovely mousse dessert.
  • AmyM713
    Options
    At this point I'm not really worried about the extra calories since I always struggle to hit my daily goal with or without working out so if I'm gonna add calories a little extra calcium can't hurt right?
  • ShawnDMuth
    ShawnDMuth Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If you can handle the taste of a protein shake without adding anything that is for the best because you are consuming less calories. If you can not handle the taste, try a different protein or mix it with whatever it takes to taste better. Some are super picky about taste and others are not. Healthiest thing to do is water but skim milk or almond milk are good. Smoothies are great for getting your daily dose of fruits and absolutely adds flavor. I do a smoothie during the day and just protein shake late in day or before bed.
  • gigieatss
    gigieatss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You can mix them with WHATEVER you want! :) I mix mine with egg whites and make a pancake! :)

http://youtu.be/5d4W4szaFwY