Runners: Half Marathon Training Advice!!

Options
I have been training hard for my first half marathon on April 21st (so about 2.5 more weeks until race day). I have been following my training plan and completed an 11-mile long run last week (my longest distance so far). I felt a lot of muscle soreness after that because I did a 10 mile run only 2 days before, so I took 5 days off before running again.

Then last night, I did a regular 6 mile run. I'm very comfortable with this distance, did not push myself at all or feel any pain/discomfort during or after my run.

Then this morning when I woke up, my right knee was in so much pain! It hurts to walk! It almost feels like its in the back of my knee and it hurts when I straighten my leg out or walk. It's not swollen or anything.

It's so weird because I felt no pain during or immediately after the run but woke up with pain the following day. Has this happened to anyone, or does anyone have any idea what could have happened? Also, can I afford to take a few days off from training when I just took 5 days off before this AND my race is less than 3 weeks away? Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated, I have no idea what to do. Thanks!

Replies

• maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    bumping so you get some help! I'm sorry you're in pain!
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think a couple of extra days off would hurt....it seems that you have a good enough endurance base. Also, ask yourself what is more important....sticking to the training schedule or taking precaution against a potential sidelining injury? :)

You say that you woke up with the injury. Are you sure you didn't cramp up in your sleep? (I know that would probably wake you up, but hey....it's possible!) I caught a cramp in my upper left calf one morning while rolling over in bed....it felt like I had been shot in the leg the entire next day.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I had a minor hamstring injury like that last year (I think I overextended my stride going over a bit of an obstacle). I'd suggest try icing the affected area and no running for a couple of days and, when you feel up to it a very easy slow run.

At 3 weeks to race day your fitness should already have peaked, missing a few days training shouldn't set you back.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    meh - weird stuff will hurt sometimes. Take a day off if it changes how you are running, roll it out, get some rest, etc. and come back as soon as you smartly can.
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Rest, Ice or icy-hot and stretching. You will be fine for your race. You do not want to injure yourself further. Take it easy and you will be good to go for race day, the adrenaline carries you across the finish line. If you can run 11 miles 13.1 is an easy day. Good luck
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    bump I am in training as well..
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I just ran a 1/2 marathon. Stretch. Ibuprofen helps right along with a hot shower. I also tried a training program off of http://www.coolrunning.com/ Make sure to get enough potassium and calcium. All those things can affect your muscles and bones.

You should be working your way back down mileage wise. Run at a comfortable pace. No sense injuring yourself again.

Best of luck to you!
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that said take some time off. At this point you run more risk of overtraining than any harm that could happen from taking time off.

I overtrained and 2 weeks prior to my Half ended up with I-T Band injury. Didn't get to run again until the day of the race.

It is better to be overly cautious when it is this close to the race.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    11 miles two weeks before your race is really enough to get you there with some short runs between now and then. Take it easy a couple of days then go out for a slow 3 mile run and see how you feel. If that feels fine, go for a 6 miler two days later. You really don't need to run farther than that in these days leading up to the race, anyway.

I'd suggest running in such a way that you won't have far to go if something does go wrong on these runs. In other words, run a short loop or just in your neighborhood. Don't go three miles out and three miles back or you may be in for a long, painful walk back to your house or car.
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    thank you sooo much everyone for all of your great advice! i really appreciate it. I will take a couple days off and see how it feels.