Suggestions for salad dressings please.

Options
Can you guys give me some suggestions of no or low calorie dressings to use on salads or veggie dipping?

Replies

• Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite salad/dressing combos is spinach, sliced strawberries, and almonds, with balsamic vinegar as the dressing. I haven't tried balsamic vinegar on any other salads, but I'm sure it'd be just as good!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Make your own dressing. It is really easy: I like to do 2-3 parts acid (vinegar, lemon juice, orange juice, lime juice a combo of any of these), 1 part oil, and bonus ingredients: spices, onions, dijon mustard, herbs and salt and pepper. Sometimes you'll need a little bit of sweetener: 1-2 teaspoons usually works for me. You can make a creamy dressing by adding greek yogurt to the list above. Or tahini.

Search for some dressing recipes, and cut the oil. You don't need that much.
  • mmklinemm
    mmklinemm Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've liked all the flavors I've tried from the Maple Grove Farms brand. Low calorie without using the chemicals found in most low cal foods.
  • happythermia
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I can't. BUT I will tell you that I get my salad dressing on the side always (or I measure it out myself it at home) and I dip. I get the taste of whatever dressing I want, but I don't get all the calories (like you would on a standard restaurant salad aka soup!)

lol I know it's not an original thing, but it's what helps me! What can I say. I like ranch dressing and raspberry vinegrette lol
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Boathouse Farms is pretty low cal, but TASTY. Their creamy dressings are yogurt based. If you like vinaigrette, wishbone makes several varieties of sprayable dressings.
  • SimplyMeJess
    Options
    Kraft dressing has some great low calorie & fat dressings.. I like the fat free thousand island and the low fat dijon mustard one
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Make your own dressing. It is really easy: I like to do 2-3 parts acid (vinegar, lemon juice, orange juice, lime juice a combo of any of these), 1 part oil, and bonus ingredients: spices, onions, dijon mustard, herbs and salt and pepper. Sometimes you'll need a little bit of sweetener: 1-2 teaspoons usually works for me. You can make a creamy dressing by adding greek yogurt to the list above. Or tahini.

Search for some dressing recipes, and cut the oil. You don't need that much.

Yep! I like Balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and a squirt of dijon mustard. :)
  • jddykstra
    jddykstra Posts: 19
    Options
    My favorite is Girards Lite Champagne dressing. It is 60 calories for 2 TBLS and is amazing!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I like the wishbone salad spritzer in italian flavor. It's pretty tart, but I like it. Only 1 calorie per spray.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Personally I say just buy a light italian.....
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I eat my salads dry a lot, or just sprinkle with lemon juice. I also use salsa or avocado.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Fat free sour cream with a packet of ranch seasoning and little water to thin it out, tastes better than ranch and not bad for you at all.
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Majority of the time I dont do dressing on salad but somedays I just get bored with the flavor so I normally drizzle 2tblsp of bbq sauce over my salad. Or I will toss my sliced chicken breast in the bbq sauce and eat it that way. Normal, no "low-cal, diet, fat free," bbq sauce is around 60 cals per 2tblsp.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I mixed olive oil with lemon juice, garlic, mustard and salt and pepper, it's yummy and I don't need much.
    For store bought I really liked the rasberry hazelnut vinaigrette from Wishbone.
  • davcro
    davcro Posts: 11
    Options
    try making your own with vinegar, olive oil and a little sugar. Use spices you already have or get the Good Season's mixes. Then you know exactly what you have in the dressing.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Renee's half fat poppyseed. I'd drink it by itself if I wasn't afraid people would judge me.
  • SabrinaR10
    Options
    I concur on the balsamic, olive oil and good seasonings!!
  • katieslosingit
    Options
    I was watching Dr. Oz. He said that is you use Miso Paste and vinegar it tastes amazing and is only 20 calories for 2 TBS.

I found this on Pinterest because I can't seem to find the link for it on his website:

"Dr Oz: Miso Paste -replace salad dressing with Miso paste -mix the paste with vinegar. Squeeze in lemons and use as your salad dressing. -has a rich, full body, earthy flavor -Miso is a pro-biotic food and helps the digestive track. Regular dressing contains 180 calories per serving. Miso paste with the vinegar contains only 20 calories. Swap this in place of salad dressing a few times a week. At the end of the year, you can lose 13 lbs."
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Vinegar and/or citrus and/or mustard and/or spices. Switch up the flavors of each and mix.

I'd suggest adding a little olive oil for taste and good healthy fat, but if you want low fat, skip it.