Going WAY over sugar intake?

Options
Hi there! I've just joined yesterday, and I'm not so much into losing weight but more of tracking what I'm eatting and feeling better about myself. (Loosing weight would be a plus however!)

For the last two days (including today) I'm going WAY over my sugar intake. I've read other post not to include fruit but Im still worried. Yesterday I went 62 over my limit. (101 grams total D:) Most came from cearal, apples slices and a banana. (I also had some cinnamon rolls for breakfast, so that didn't help at all.)

Today I just ate lunch and I'm already 40 over! Once again fruit! Even without my fruit im still over! Should I be worried and how can I change this? Thank you for the help!

Replies

• jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary to see what other things you are eating but cereal was one of the first things I cut when I started watching sugars. Also, many flavored yogurts can be huge culprits as well.

--
    Follow my FB Fitness Page!
    Be stronger than your excuses: Recipes and inspiration for a healthier life
    www.facebook.com/excusesareeasy
  • nebulinda
    nebulinda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't track my sugar. And honestly, unless you have a medical issue that affected by sugar, you probably don't need to worry too much about it. But cutting out or reducing processed food and foods with sugar added will help, and get the vast majority of your sugar from fruit.
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely cut out the cereal and cinnamon rolls on a regular basis. Save them for a cheat meal if you really love them and it's worth it to you to splurge.

Added sugar, regardless of source (white/brown sugar, corn syrups, etc) are just not great for your system. It's not a great source of energy and gives that sugar high then crash feeling. Not to mention it helps make your body crave more sugary things (bad cycle).

You're supposed to eat lots of fruits and veggies so I wouldn't necessarily count those towards your goal unless you're adding sugar to them.

Also maybe try Truvia or Stevia - they're great sugar substitutes that don't actually have any sugar in them.
  • AmlyMei
    AmlyMei Posts: 3
    Options
    Im a self diagnosed carb addict, I love ceral, bread (oh Lord I love bread) but good to know about the ceral! I've opened my diary also, sorry about that! :)
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I go WAY over every day as well, particularly because of fruit. The limit is pretty low, but I just weight the benefit of eating fruit vs how concerned I am about my sugar intake.
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I LOVE bread too, but they're not very high in sugar unless you're getting the kind that's got a lot of stuff added to it.

Are you talking about sugar or carbs? They're 2 completely different things (although somewhat related).
  • AmlyMei
    AmlyMei Posts: 3
    Options
    Sugar! For sure!

I am only on day 2 I'm just shocked/frightened at how much sugar I really consume!
  • snuggllepuff
    Options
    You should make sure you are eating the proper amount of carbs, since carbs are our main energy source.. but it's important to limit sugar. Especially sugar that comes from things like breads, cereal, yogurt, and pasta. Most of the sugar in those things is added crap like high fructose corn syrup which is the worst thing you can eat! It's the main reason for weight gain and bloating.

Fruit is obviously healthy, but I like to think of it as a double edged sword. There's tons of antioxidants and benefits from it, but also too much sugar if you eat too much of it. Try to only consume small amounts of fruits for breakfast or right before a workout. That way, you'll use it as fuel. Which would be better than eating fruit before bed or at a time when you aren't going to be active.

Try to get most of your carbs from vegetables, brown rice, or oatmeal. Just the carbs you need without the extra sugar! :)
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Sugar! For sure!

I am only on day 2 I'm just shocked/frightened at how much sugar I really consume!

I think that is the beauty of MFP, I did the same thing with calories and sodium and it really helped me make better choices :D