Cardio vs. Weight Training for Weight Loss

Options
Hey guys!! Hope everyone is having a wonderful week so far. I need a little advice. I am hearing different opinions on weight training and cardio. Here is the skinny:

Currently, my goal is to lose weight, relatively quickly, to enlist in the Coast Guard. In the past I have combined both cardio and weight training when I was just focused on getting healthy and slowly losing the weight. I am still focused on those things, but right now, I would like to figure out if it would help speed the weight loss up if I did slowly start adding in weight training again or just stick to different forms of cardio???

I have been sticking mainly to the elliptical the past couple of weeks and under calories, but I think I am going to change things up tomorrow at the gym. I feel like my body is getting use to the elliptical and I would benefit from the change up. Thoughts?? Any advice on whether adding in weight training would help with the weight loss would be appreciated. My big goal right now is to lose and then focus on toning once I hit that target weight, unless it will me reach that target weight sooner by weight training.

Thanks!!

Replies

• keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Personally, i think you should do both. At least 30 minutes of cardio, and 30 of weight training. You can spend a long time doing cardio, but it really is endless. If you want noticeable results, i honestly would get some weight training in there! It may look different on the weight scale but i promise it works. And if you want to lose weight very quick, eat clean clean clean. Nothing that has been processed, even diet pop. Eat REAL food. And make sure you eat breakfast and dont eat after 8pm. Check out bodybuilding.com , on the left it says "Find a plan", this will help you get into serious shape. Good luck !!!!!! (And i hope i was at least a bit helpful!)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    do both.

try something called a complex : http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/screw_cardio_four_complexes_for_a_shredded_physique

it's a mix of both strength and cardio. my favorite is the tumminello complex. 4 sets of that with a 25 weight plate = hellacious fun.

and i agree with keepitcroosh. eat clean, eat below your maintenance but nomore than like 30% below.
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Strength training with free weights will build muscle. Muscle burns more calories just to maintain it, therefore to have a consistent burn with more muscle or only when you do cardio? Up to you.
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Both but weight train for sure! I have seen more changes in my body through weight training than I have in crazy cardios. Regardless switch it up and don't do the same thing all the time -your body will get use to it.
  • KenziesMomma11
    KenziesMomma11 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    this is good to know, and really makes sense now that you say it. thank you!
    Strength training with free weights will build muscle. Muscle burns more calories just to maintain it, therefore to have a consistent burn with more muscle or only when you do cardio? Up to you.
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Personally, i think you should do both. At least 30 minutes of cardio, and 30 of weight training. You can spend a long time doing cardio, but it really is endless. If you want noticeable results, i honestly would get some weight training in there! It may look different on the weight scale but i promise it works. And if you want to lose weight very quick, eat clean clean clean. Nothing that has been processed, even diet pop. Eat REAL food. And make sure you eat breakfast and dont eat after 8pm. Check out bodybuilding.com , on the left it says "Find a plan", this will help you get into serious shape. Good luck !!!!!! (And i hope i was at least a bit helpful!)

I agree with most of what you said except "don't skip breakfast" and "don't eat after 8pm". Those are basically metabolism myths. Look into a diet program like Intermittent Fasting and it has you doing BOTH of those things with good results. :)

OP, if you want to lose the inches fast, dial in your diet and lift heavy things.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    And toned muscle looks good as well! I will definitely start weight training.
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    A good mixture of both is key. Im a nursing student and we just finished a section about muscular tissue. Textbook says, both are key to fat loss, higher metabolism, strength, and oxygen debt ( the amount of time you can continuously exercise with out stopping for a break)
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Basically - to look good and burn fat - it's all about the weights.

If you want to increase cardiovascular fitness, do cardio.

But in the long run, cardio pales in comparison to what weights can do for your body.
  • kathyhaf1
    kathyhaf1 Posts: 80
    Options
    Thank you for asking this question, I have been wondering this too.

I have read that weights/strength training is better for you to lose weight and tone up.

Now my question is.....do I stay at low weight and higher reps or increase the weight and stay at 12 reps?

On P90X, Tony Horton always says higher reps/low weight for the lean look and lower reps/high weight to bulk up. I just want to be toned!

Suggestions please!