From sugar addict to clean/healthy eater - anyone else?

Options

Replies

• nobleps
    nobleps Posts: 95
    Options
    YEP- BUMP
    :embarassed: :blushing: :smooched: :bigsmile::flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Good job megan. :smile:

After I wrote about my weekend, I feel guilty for eating ice cream and a cupcake when I was really trying to only eat clean and cut out sugar. I don't want to feel like a failure; I want this to be a permanent postiive lifestyle change. So I don't know if that means I should never eat sugar etc. so that I don't feel bad about it later, or I should just allow myself to have it every once and again as long as I don't do it all the time. I am so conflicted, argh.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

I was really proud of myself for incorporating healthy changes into what once would have been a sugar/fat fest weekend. I *did* drink at the party... the Rasbperry/Pomegrante Michelob Ultras and a bit of red wine, and I did have some banana's fosters with ice cream and one of the cupcakes I made for them. I am still not sure how to get out of those festivity treats or even if I want to... I'm *thinking* it's okay to "splurge" every now and then on sepcial occassions such as that, especially when I've made so many other changes that help the rest of the weekend be very healthy and clean. Ideally I would never eat sugar or drink alcohol but I don't know if I'm that strong ha ha ha.

Jessmomof3 do you still post your meals on the clean eating thread or anywhere else? I want to see how "cleaned up" your diet is! :smile:

Good job!! Making healthy changes makes a huge difference!!

I haven't been posting my meals here, just using the tools to track. I've just cut out ALL splenda from my diet, I use a little Truvia or liquid Stevia in tea. I'm really cutting out even a lot of wheat. I cut out light soymilk and other soy products and am drinking skim milk again (wish I could go organic but it's so pricey!). I read Jillian Michael's Master Your Metabolism and it was an eye opener for me!

I'm just really eating a lot of fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats (I love chicken breasts anyway), cottage cheese, plain organic yogurt, etc. It's working great for me, I feel awesome and am down another 3#! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    After I wrote about my weekend, I feel guilty for eating ice cream and a cupcake when I was really trying to only eat clean and cut out sugar. I don't want to feel like a failure; I want this to be a permanent postiive lifestyle change. So I don't know if that means I should never eat sugar etc. so that I don't feel bad about it later, or I should just allow myself to have it every once and again as long as I don't do it all the time. I am so conflicted, argh.

It's all in what works for you. If I start on the *white crack* like a cupcake and ice cream, it would throw me off for a few days! I know, it seems crazy but once I start on it again I just want to eat more of it!! But if you can do it every once in a while and get back on track and that works for you... well more power to ya! :drinker:
  • thinsky
    thinsky Posts: 81
    Options
    Jessmomof3

You cut out eating soy products? Why, is it better not to eat them? What foods are better to eat then others?
    I have heard about that book, what are the basics from it? If you dont mind sharing?
    Thank you:happy:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Jessmomof3

You cut out eating soy products? Why, is it better not to eat them? What foods are better to eat then others?
    I have heard about that book, what are the basics from it? If you dont mind sharing?
    Thank you:happy:

It goes into the estrogens and how the body processes things. I used to drink a lot of light soymilk (which after realizing also has sucralose in it- Splenda). Jillian goes into hormones and it has a lot of interesting information. She's really big on organics also. I'm doing my best, but am on a budget w/ a family of 5. :wink: It's a really good read, I can post more info later if you want!
  • thinsky
    thinsky Posts: 81
    Options
    Ya that would be wonderful thank you.
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Thanks jessmomof3. I was also wondering what the book was about so thanks for sharing. I'm a big Jillian fan -- I did Making the Cut and it is what helped jump-start my exercise and helped me get into better shape.

I have read conflicting things about organic food and yes it is so expensive. I *try* to buy organic meat and milk due to hormones because I really do think that they cause problems especially in women and it is better to eat food that isn't stuffed with hormones. But to me fruits and veggies seem healthy whether they are organic or not, and I know there's a pesticides argument but I have eaten regular fruits and veggies my whole life and feel I have been just fine in that area.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I had typed this out for my sister in law so here are some of the highlights from Jillian Michael's Master Your Metabolism.

First of all, NO Frankenfood!!! Carb-free, fat-free, sugar-free, anything highly processed is NOT food. It's chemicals.

Remove, Restore, and Rebalance

1. Remove the Antinutrients
    A. Hydrogenated Fats
    B. Refined Grains
    C. High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS)
    D. Artificial sweeteners (she recommends Xylitol if you need a sweetener)
    E. Artificial Preservatives and Colors
    F. Glutamates

2. Restore the Hormone Power Foods
    A. Legumes
    B. The Allium Family (garlic, onions, leeks, chives, shallots, scallions)
    C. Berries
    D. Meat and Eggs (Organic only)
    E. Colorful Fruits and Vegetables (orange, yellow, purple, red- 5 a day)
    F. Cruciferous Vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage)
    G. Dark-Green Leafy Vegetables (spinach, romaine, arugula)
    H. Nuts and Seeds (almonds, walnuts, pine nuts, ground flaxseed, pumpkin seeds)
    I. Organic Dairy (low-fat, no sweeteners, Greek style or higher protein yogurt)
    J. Whole Grain (oatmeal, barley, 100% whole wheat, wheat germ)

3. Rebalance
    A. NEVER skip breakfast
    B. Eat every 4 hours (4 meals a day, she thinks 6 meals a day is too much)
    C. Eat until you are full, NOT stuffed
    D. Combine foods correctly (good balance of carb, protein, and fat, she recommends the 40/30/30 ratio to start and then tweak to what works for you)
    E. No eating after 9PM, and limited carbs at dinner (getting your body to burn more fat even while you are sleeping)

4. Remove the toxins

5. Restore the Nutrients

6. Rebalance Your Stress Levels
    A. Sleep at least 7 hours a night
    B. Move your body every day
    C. Be good to yourself

Master your food math:

Breakfast:
    Start with one of these:
    2 eggs
    4 egg whites
    1 cup skim milk
    3 slices nitrate free turkey bacon
    1 cup organic Greek yogurt
    1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
    2 slices nitrate free ham
    3 oz all natural lox
    1 nitrate free chicken sausage
    3 oz grilled chicken

Add one of these:
    1 slice Ezekiel 4:9 bread
    1 cup oatmeal
    1 cup Nature's Path 8 grain cereal
    1/2 fresh grapefruit
    1 cup fresh mixed berries
    1 apple
    2 tomatoes, sliced
    1/2 multigrain bagel
    1 cup buckwheat cereal
    1 corn tortilla and unlimited fresh salsa

Lunch:
    Start with one of these:
    5 oz chicken breast
    5 oz grilled lamb
    5 oz baked halibut
    5 oz seared tuna
    5 oz flank steak
    5 oz baked tilapia
    5 oz grilled sea bass
    5 oz black cod
    5 oz sirloin

Add:
    1 serving baked chips and 1/8 avocado
    1/2 cup brown rice
    1 small sweet potato
    1/2 cup quinoa
    1/2 cup black beans
    1 large artichoke
    1/2 cup brown rice pasta
    Unlimited tomato salad
    1/2 cup white beans

Afternoon Snack:
    Start with one of these:
    1/2 cup hummus
    20 raw walnuts
    1 low-fat mozzarella stick
    2 Tablespoons organic almond butter
    3 slices organic turkey
    1/2 cup black bean dip
    1 cup canned tuna in water
    1 cup organic yogurt
    1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese

Add:
    Unlimited carrots sticks
    1 apple
    10 Kashi 7-grain crackers
    Unlimited celery sticks
    1 Ezekiel multigrain tortilla
    20 baked corn chips
    1/4 avocado
    Unlimited blueberries
    2 slices watermelon

Dinner:
    Start with one of these:
    4 oz grilled salmon
    4 oz marinated chicken breast
    5 large shrimp
    5 oz broiled pork chops
    4 oz grilled lamp chops
    4 oz turkey breast
    5 oz scallops
    4 oz Cornish hen
    5 oz mahimahi

Add:
    Unlimited steamed broccoli
    Unlimited leafy salad w/ broccoli & cucumber
    1 1/2 cups cooked carrots
    Unlimited roasted cauliflower
    Unlimited steamed green beans
    Unlimited baked Brussels sprouts
    Unlimited steamed spinach
    1 cup spaghetti squash
    Unlimited grilled mixed veggies

More protein, less carb for dinner.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Thanks jessmomof3. I was also wondering what the book was about so thanks for sharing. I'm a big Jillian fan -- I did Making the Cut and it is what helped jump-start my exercise and helped me get into better shape.

I have read conflicting things about organic food and yes it is so expensive. I *try* to buy organic meat and milk due to hormones because I really do think that they cause problems especially in women and it is better to eat food that isn't stuffed with hormones. But to me fruits and veggies seem healthy whether they are organic or not, and I know there's a pesticides argument but I have eaten regular fruits and veggies my whole life and feel I have been just fine in that area.

I read her Making the Cut too! I really like her style anyway, I'm more of a no nonsense type of gal. :wink:

We buy our meat from a local farmer, the meat is AWESOME. We just got our 1/4 side of beef. I won't buy regular meat at the store... I'm spoiled and it's even cheaper by buying in bulk! :wink: I do buy organic milk when I can and yogurt, and just wash my fruits really well. I did like that she said to cut off the tops of all apples and fruits (that is where the pesticides can pool).l So I have been washing and cutting. :bigsmile: I also just got 20# of fresh blueberries that my inlaws brought from MI so I washed and froze a lot of them.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Ya that would be wonderful thank you.

No problem. I haven't been following her *diet* exactly, but have definitely been eating mainly protein and veggies for dinner. Fruit if I need something sweet, and no eating for me after 7:30PM. (I go to bed by 10 usually)
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    I had typed this out for my sister in law so here are some of the highlights from Jillian Michael's Master Your Metabolism.

First of all, NO Frankenfood!!! Carb-free, fat-free, sugar-free, anything highly processed is NOT food. It's chemicals.

Remove, Restore, and Rebalance

1. Remove the Antinutrients
    A. Hydrogenated Fats
    B. Refined Grains
    C. High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS)
    D. Artificial sweeteners (she recommends Xylitol if you need a sweetener)
    E. Artificial Preservatives and Colors
    F. Glutamates

2. Restore the Hormone Power Foods
    A. Legumes
    B. The Allium Family (garlic, onions, leeks, chives, shallots, scallions)
    C. Berries
    D. Meat and Eggs (Organic only)
    E. Colorful Fruits and Vegetables (orange, yellow, purple, red- 5 a day)
    F. Cruciferous Vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage)
    G. Dark-Green Leafy Vegetables (spinach, romaine, arugula)
    H. Nuts and Seeds (almonds, walnuts, pine nuts, ground flaxseed, pumpkin seeds)
    I. Organic Dairy (low-fat, no sweeteners, Greek style or higher protein yogurt)
    J. Whole Grain (oatmeal, barley, 100% whole wheat, wheat germ)

3. Rebalance
    A. NEVER skip breakfast
    B. Eat every 4 hours (4 meals a day, she thinks 6 meals a day is too much)
    C. Eat until you are full, NOT stuffed
    D. Combine foods correctly (good balance of carb, protein, and fat, she recommends the 40/30/30 ratio to start and then tweak to what works for you)
    E. No eating after 9PM, and limited carbs at dinner (getting your body to burn more fat even while you are sleeping)

4. Remove the toxins

5. Restore the Nutrients

6. Rebalance Your Stress Levels
    A. Sleep at least 7 hours a night
    B. Move your body every day
    C. Be good to yourself

Master your food math:

Breakfast:
    Start with one of these:
    2 eggs
    4 egg whites
    1 cup skim milk
    3 slices nitrate free turkey bacon
    1 cup organic Greek yogurt
    1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
    2 slices nitrate free ham
    3 oz all natural lox
    1 nitrate free chicken sausage
    3 oz grilled chicken

Add one of these:
    1 slice Ezekiel 4:9 bread
    1 cup oatmeal
    1 cup Nature's Path 8 grain cereal
    1/2 fresh grapefruit
    1 cup fresh mixed berries
    1 apple
    2 tomatoes, sliced
    1/2 multigrain bagel
    1 cup buckwheat cereal
    1 corn tortilla and unlimited fresh salsa

Lunch:
    Start with one of these:
    5 oz chicken breast
    5 oz grilled lamb
    5 oz baked halibut
    5 oz seared tuna
    5 oz flank steak
    5 oz baked tilapia
    5 oz grilled sea bass
    5 oz black cod
    5 oz sirloin

Add:
    1 serving baked chips and 1/8 avocado
    1/2 cup brown rice
    1 small sweet potato
    1/2 cup quinoa
    1/2 cup black beans
    1 large artichoke
    1/2 cup brown rice pasta
    Unlimited tomato salad
    1/2 cup white beans

Afternoon Snack:
    Start with one of these:
    1/2 cup hummus
    20 raw walnuts
    1 low-fat mozzarella stick
    2 Tablespoons organic almond butter
    3 slices organic turkey
    1/2 cup black bean dip
    1 cup canned tuna in water
    1 cup organic yogurt
    1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese

Add:
    Unlimited carrots sticks
    1 apple
    10 Kashi 7-grain crackers
    Unlimited celery sticks
    1 Ezekiel multigrain tortilla
    20 baked corn chips
    1/4 avocado
    Unlimited blueberries
    2 slices watermelon

Dinner:
    Start with one of these:
    4 oz grilled salmon
    4 oz marinated chicken breast
    5 large shrimp
    5 oz broiled pork chops
    4 oz grilled lamp chops
    4 oz turkey breast
    5 oz scallops
    4 oz Cornish hen
    5 oz mahimahi

Add:
    Unlimited steamed broccoli
    Unlimited leafy salad w/ broccoli & cucumber
    1 1/2 cups cooked carrots
    Unlimited roasted cauliflower
    Unlimited steamed green beans
    Unlimited baked Brussels sprouts
    Unlimited steamed spinach
    1 cup spaghetti squash
    Unlimited grilled mixed veggies

More protein, less carb for dinner.

Thanks for this, Jess. I kept meaning to come back and read it and I finally did! :) It is very helpful information. Unfortunately I don't know what some of the foods on her list even ARE, so I guess it's time for an education! :)
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the education. I think Jillian is a bit over the edge on some things, and we all don't have the cash or staff to make and locate all this organic stuff for us. (I still can't find Greek Yogurt in the grocery store!) I'm trying gradually to switch better and better, but it's one step at a time! You're very inspirational!:flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Thanks for the education. I think Jillian is a bit over the edge on some things, and we all don't have the cash or staff to make and locate all this organic stuff for us. (I still can't find Greek Yogurt in the grocery store!) I'm trying gradually to switch better and better, but it's one step at a time! You're very inspirational!:flowerforyou:

Yeah, I agree. I haven't gone into *everything* that she says, but I like her approach and am doing my best to make good choices for me and my family. I have been cutting off the tops of the fruit before eating it (I keep thinking of the pesticides pooling in there!!).

Funny, my sister in law lives in Canada and she is always telling me how much easier it is to eat organic there?

Do you have just plain yogurt?? I haven't been doing the Greek yogurt just because it is so pricey. I just eat the plain, fat- free yogurt (Meijer brand all natural is my new favorite, but even Dannon plain is good).

One step at a time... that's the way to do it! :bigsmile:
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    I love Dannon plain!

I feel lucky to live in a city (a smallish city, but still a city) where we have co-ops and Whole Foods etc. Still I often buy conventional because organic is so expensive!
  • sibetsimo
    Options
    Oops, my question was answered... didn't see the second page! :p
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

Yeah, I agree. I haven't gone into *everything* that she says, but I like her approach and am doing my best to make good choices for me and my family. I have been cutting off the tops of the fruit before eating it (I keep thinking of the pesticides pooling in there!!).

Funny, my sister in law lives in Canada and she is always telling me how much easier it is to eat organic there?

Do you have just plain yogurt?? I haven't been doing the Greek yogurt just because it is so pricey. I just eat the plain, fat- free yogurt (Meijer brand all natural is my new favorite, but even Dannon plain is good).

One step at a time... that's the way to do it! :bigsmile:

It's dfinetly more than your reg foods. And when you're feeding 4 teens who don't care or want to follow...why spend on it. Maybe it depends where you live too.:drinker: Staying focused so far girls.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    It's dfinetly more than your reg foods. And when you're feeding 4 teens who don't care or want to follow...why spend on it. Maybe it depends where you live too.:drinker: Staying focused so far girls.

That's true. 4 teens... wow! My girls are 10, 8, and 6 so I will be headed there before too long!

So... should I start a new clean eaters thread? Anyone interested?? Last time I got to the point where I felt like I was talking to myself. :laugh:
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Jess I'm interested in a clean eater's thread!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Jess I'm interested in a clean eater's thread!

OK, will post it and see if we can get more interest!!!