the challenges of working from home!

Options
hi everyone, i'm new to MFP (today) and it seems pretty awesome so far. i wonder if anyone else on here is struggling with working from home? obviously avoiding boredom eating is one issue... but any other tips or tricks that are helping you? I get an official workout in almost every single day, but tips on quick (filling) snacks, taking breaks, other physical activity?

i'll take anything you've got for me - in it to win it! thank you! :smile:

Replies

• finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    you are so funny! i posted an almost identical topic! we were meant to be MFP friends.
    see also this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4271-sitting-down-on-the-job
  • finchest
    Options
    and welcome!!
  • wonderlilly
    wonderlilly Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    thanks, i will check that out instead!
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I work from home too and some days it can be tough!!

I try to snack on fruit if I can, go and walk the dog and drink plenty of water
  • donnabullen
    donnabullen Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    I also work from home and on the Cambridge weight plan, I find drinking lots of water helps x
  • kmfolkins
    kmfolkins Posts: 64
    Options
    I drink lots of water (and too much coffee) But I gave myself a set schedule of break times. Just as if I had a job. I try my best to stick to it, and it seems to help
  • finchest
    Options
    I gave myself a set schedule of break times. Just as if I had a job. I try my best to stick to it, and it seems to help

That is such a good idea!
  • finchest
    Options
    oh also, my tip is to record what times i've eaten in my notes. then if i go to look at my food diary and i see i ate just an hour ago, i'll perhaps drink some water and decide, "ok, in another hour i'll have something to eat"
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I work from home also.

my biggest tip is to shut your door while you are working (if you can).

I work out of my basement and I often shut the top of the stairs door (to keep the dogs and myself in)

if it's open, I start roaming and getting bored, especially when I'm on the BB. (nothing like a blackberry to keep you from feeling chained to your desk).

I have found myself wandering up the stairs, making a sandwich or a snack before I even realised what is going on. But if the door is shut, for some reason it's all business and I manage to get some good hours in before I come up for air (and a snack that I'm allowed at that point).
  • RunChristyRun
    RunChristyRun Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I work in an office and it is a contant struggle to find something fast and healthy to eat at lunch. I don't like to bring my lunch to work because I need to get away from all of the chaos just to keep my sanity! I have often thought about trying to work from home...
  • finchest
    Options
    oh, a tip for a quick, filling snack (at home or at the office): hummus and veggies. it's cheap, it's filling, it's low cal and so good for you. just chop up some celery or carrot sticks, broccoli or what have you and dig in.
  • islaybower
    Options
    I work at home, and my biggest challenge is not eating at 'break' times. I tend to work really hard for an hour or two, then have a five minute break, which is when I used to grab something to snack on. And even low calorie snacks add up when you're having them every hour! I try to rigorously plan my food for the day and have nothing in the house that I can just 'grab' without having to prepare it first. I even freeze all the healthy muffins etc that I bake and only buy frozen tropical fruit (I have apples and oranges in the fruit bowl) so I have to make the effort to defrost them before I can snack on anything too tempting!
  • ctriston
    ctriston Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I find it MUCH easier working at home, away from popping to sandwich shops, or the treats colleague bring in....at home, I have a lovely couple of poached eggs, or some noodles.....if I am having a hungry days, beans on toast.....
    if I get the 'hungries', have a black coffee and a few mini meringue shell...and leap about on the wii...

the most important thing about home working is to have a break to go for a walk about the block....and drink a lot of water...

happying WAH'ing guys!
  • wonderlilly
    Options
    Thank you guys for all this great advice! I really like the idea of scheduling breaks in, even better if they're walks around the block. I'm guilty of looking up and it being 3 hours later, so stretch breaks would be a good idea, I should set my phone. I will try this and keep you guys posted!

I also love the idea of shutting the door. I forget that I can do that since I'm not shutting "someone" out, but shutting out the fridge ;)

Thank you all for the cameraderie (sp?!) and the great snack ideas!
  • wonderlilly
    Options
    oh also, my tip is to record what times i've eaten in my notes. then if i go to look at my food diary and i see i ate just an hour ago, i'll perhaps drink some water and decide, "ok, in another hour i'll have something to eat"

I noticed you were recording times on your diary - what a great idea. I definitely have hunger "times", so I should pay attention to what those are and to spacing out my food. I tend to starve-starve-starve (read: get super caught up in something I'm doing, not intentional), then eat for a village! ;)
  • nateraemom
    Options
    Something I love to do is to sit on a balance ball versus an office chair. You are working your abs practically the whole time you're sitting there and you can take crunch breaks every hour. :)