Ladies only question

Options
Ladies, how do you find the energy to workout when you have PMS??
I am having a horrible time getting my behind off the chair and get moving, I am so tired, which is one thing I suffer from, every month. This is torture for me.

Replies

• PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I don't :( I'm a terrible motivator. For me it's a week of naps and chocolate rationing before I get back on track.

After a week of naps, though, exercise sounds much more appealing.
  • Shell8ug
    Shell8ug Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'd love to hear some ideas. When I get home from work, I just want to sit. there are still have lunches to pack, dinner to cook, dishes and laundry, etc...how do I fit exercise into my time or energy queue? After sitting for while, my energy surges around 9pm and then I'm up till 11pm doing what I didn't feel like doing when I got home! By the time I get to bed, it is late enough that I barely get enough sleep to get up early enough in the morning to get ready for work on time so no chance to squeeze in the exercise there either!
  • BelMckenzie
    BelMckenzie Posts: 249
    Options
    I felt like I had weights on my legs when trying to run today. My TOM has been horrible right now- bad chocolate/salt cravings and feeling miserable with very little motivation. I have slept in everyday this week, skipping most of my workouts. I feel better that I am not the only one that struggles with a horrible PMS.

I am curious if someone comes up with any ideas.
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    For better or worse, I work with a trainer three times a week and those sessions are pre-paid. Unless I cancel 24 hours in advance, I lose the session. That's my motivation when dealing with ugly PMS.
  • jackiesaurus
    jackiesaurus Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If I can actually drag myself to the gym, I do ten minutes (or more if I can manage) on the treadmill, then bike for 45 minutes reading a magazine, then try to do ten minutes more on the elliptical or treadmill, and three sets of my usual weights (instead of 5).

Or step up the intensity on the treadmill for 20 - 30 minutes and do my full sets of weights.

I figure it's better than not going, and the time flies on the bike when I'm reading, and 20 minutes of watching TV or listening to a podcast on the treadmill or elliptical is quick, too, even though I know it's not the greatest exercise.

If I absolutely cannot get to the gym, I try not give into my cravings and just eat super healthy and drink a ton of water.
  • rachaela06
    rachaela06 Posts: 167
    Options
    Thanks everyone, at least I know I am not alone!!! I know the workout will help, but after putting in a 16 hour day, my couch is going to look great. The cravings I can deal with. I think we-should get this one week a month off, after all the bloat doesn't go anywhere, Lol!!! The one good thing for me is I am just trying to tone my body, I really don't have any more weight to loose. I'm still eating right, so it's not so bad. I think this was motivation enough for me to try to get on my treadmill tonite for at least 30 minutes.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    on days like that i just walk on the treadmill for about 30 mts. something is better than nothing. And i usually feel better after.
  • TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    I feel tired too during that. I go on my lunch for 30 minutes. It's not a lot but it keeps me moving.
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Since sometimes my PMS comes with an attitude, I take all the pain, bloat and mood and funnel it into my workout. My workouts during these times are more intense. If I had a boxing bag... whoa that would be awesome Most times, the cramps are ignored altogether because my mind is on my workout. i think mentally, I feel like I did at least something productive even if later I want to eat the candy dishes around the office dry.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    The hardest part of working out during that week is just putting on my shoes to get out the door for a run. I don't normally schedule time to work out, but I do that week. Like I'll purposely make it so that my runs HAVE to be in the morning, and no other time (sometimes, I can get away with missing a morning one and just do an afternoon), and lay all my clothes out right next to the bed (or, if it's a REALLY bad week, I'll sleep in them). Once I'm dressed and have my shoes on, it's pretty hard to argue with myself to not do it.
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Today was torture for me but I made myself go. I feel like if I can get through day 1 and 2, the rest of the week is fine. Like someone above said, something is better than nothing so even if you can't motivate yourself to get to the gym - just do anything to get your body moving. You'll feel so much better after you do it. :-)
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have to force myself....I literaly could sleep the week away! I start out slow but once I get into it, I've got the groove LOL! Also, if I have any pains it actually makes them disappear! :)
  • MelsFitLife
    MelsFitLife Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I make myself change clothes and start my normal work out routine...sometimes i complete it...sometimes i don't..but atleast I have done something. It's very hard on a woman that time of month. Bloated...drained...all you want to do is rest and some eat chocolate..I don't have those type of cravings luckily.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I know I feel better after I work out, ESPECIALLY when I'm PMSing. It is harder to make myself go, but I just keep in mind "the only work out you regret is the one you didn't do". It's totally true.
  • ashlee2012
    Options
    For me, there is nothing special I do to stay motivated during PMS. Sometimes I can power through it and tough it out, sometimes I succumb to cravings in naps. For me, the only thing in my mind anytime I exercise is my end goal. I think that ultimately, if you want it bad enough, you will power through. That doesn't mean that taking a nap and eating some chocolate during PMS means you DON'T want it, it's just that some times are harder than others. That's why the focus has to be on becoming healthier overall, versus crash diets and manic exercise. If you make healthier overall lifestyle decision, and do your due diligence the rest of the time, a few days of chocolate and naps won't set you back terribly, and you can jump right back in head first after you finish!
  • Rpaddock
    Rpaddock Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I try to do something even if it's a 20 min...or I try really hard to watch what I eat or over estimate my calories so I can grab some chocolate. But I know how everyone feels, I am so exhausted during that time that its all I can do to fall into bed!
  • lindzlouwho
    lindzlouwho Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, it help diminish cramps and surprisingly doing an ab routine can lessen cramps too. I thought it would have been the complete opposite. try doing a 5 min ab routine first to get rid of the pain and pump up the adrenaline to get you ready for that work out!!!