starting metformin, any suggestions?

Options
I've just been diagnosed with PCOS and my doc is starting me on metformin. I am a little nervous about it because of the side effects. Does your body get adjusted to it eventually?

Replies

• cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    I hope he told you to build up gradually over a week or so
  • dwurth2
    dwurth2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the link to the support group!!

and no....didn't know to build up gradually...she's starting me on 500mg tab, I am supposed to take it twice a day...is that a low dosage, or normal one?
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what side effects your concerned about, but I have Type 2 diabetes and I have been on Metformin XR 500mg since 2007 (one pill before bed) and never had any side effects. My main concern of side effects was diarrhea and nausea, but it never became a problem.
  • becqt82
    becqt82 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i started taking metformin back in december and i take 500 mgs 2x's a day and ive never had any side effects at all.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I had some *let's just say... gastric* side effects the first week I started it. But then I got used to it. I was taking it for PCOS as well.
  • dwurth2
    Options
    My doc said it can cause GI problems...nausea, diarrhea, cramping, etc.....glad to hear you all haven't had any problems, that makes me feel better.
  • Vespyr
    Vespyr Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Take with food. Common side effects are upset stomach and a bad taste. I'd recommend breakfast and dinner. 500mg twice a day is a low dose. Most people don't get many side effects from the drug at that dose. If you're really worried you can break the tabs and take 250mg twice a day for 5 days or so then up to 500mg.
  • kgilbert75
    kgilbert75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I took Metformin for 3 years for PCOS while I was trying to get pregnant. I took 500mg/twice daily. The stomach side effects were not fun, but I kept taking Metformin and eventually the stomach problems went away. And eventually I got pregnant!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i take it (the extended release formula though) and take 2000mg a day. no side effects here!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Everyone reacts differently to this.
    I've taken it and for me, when they say take with food, it doesn't mean to take it and then eat. I had to eat almost the entire meal before taking it. Otherwise, I'd end up nauseous before I was done eating.
    The other issues happened, too. Those eventually subsided. The nausea part always happened, though, if I took it too soon. If it happens, better off to just stop, lay down and wait a few minutes.

Good luck!
  • Dedatress
    Dedatress Posts: 22
    Options
    Make sure you take it with food. It usually helps me eating over half of it, and then taking it instead of taking it in between. But everyone reacts differently. They actually just upped my dose so now I'm taking 4 500mg a day and I experienced the side effects all of again, but it only lasted more than a couple days. Believe me, any side effects you get, will be worth it! I too have PCOS and being on Metformin has helped me so much. The only side effects I had were some stomach cramps. But like I said, everyone is different.

Good luck, I hope it works for you!! :) If you can wait it out for a bit, it is so worth it!
  • superstankazz
    Options
    I have PCOS too and I am supposed to take 2000mg a day but I usually only take 500 mg a day. Anything over 500 mg gives me explosive diarrhea! Sorry to be so blunt but my stomach doesn't tolerate the high dosage. I take my 500mg extended release pill with breakfast and I'm completely adjusted to it at this point. It only takes a few days for the side effects to go away. For me, the trick is to always take it with food. Not too much food and not too little . Maybe a small bowl of cereal, or some applesauce. Good luck and remember, the side effects don't last forever!:happy:
  • dwurth2
    Options
    Thank you all so much!! Thinking I will cut the pills in half for a couple of days and see how I do before taking the whole pill both times. Another thing I should've asked my doc and forgot, is this something I will have to take forever, or will the condition correct itself once I get the weight I need to lose gone? I have totally changed my eating and have cut out eating out and about 90% of processed foods...so hoping this will help with it too.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!! Thinking I will cut the pills in half for a couple of days and see how I do before taking the whole pill both times. Another thing I should've asked my doc and forgot, is this something I will have to take forever, or will the condition correct itself once I get the weight I need to lose gone? I have totally changed my eating and have cut out eating out and about 90% of processed foods...so hoping this will help with it too.

I've never been prescribed Met but yes your symptoms of PCOS will die down significantly when you lose weight. You probably won't need to be medicated for too long.
  • Vikingmiss
    Vikingmiss Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have just started getting used to it. Took only one with breakfast the first week. Then moved to breakfast and dinner.
    Sometimes I get stomach cramps, but all in all I do not feel as sour.
    It is totally worth it though! I have so much more energy.. and as an 18 year old.. I was wondering why I was tired and sluggish and hypoglycemic ALL the time! Now I feel so much better.
    For the future, I worry about infertility issues.. but if worse comes to worse, I most definately plan on adopting!