need ideas/ squash

Options
LovingLisa2012
LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
i have 3 squash i need to use .. ideas ???
its this kind http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/squash-yellowcrookneck.jpg

im about to go to bed , but i will check back in the morning.. thnx every one

ETA: even suggest how to cook it ?
i have never cooked squash b4

Replies

• farm_mamaX9
    Options
    Dice them into cube size pieces, spray them with cooking spray (zero calories), season them with your favorite seasonings (mine are a little salt, and a lot of garlic/herb), stir fry them for several minutes. I also stir fry a half a chicken breast (diced) to go with mine, with the same seasonings, and it is a very yummy and filling, low calorie meal!
  • oldiesgal
    Options
    :glasses:
    How about using Splenda Brown Sugar with a little bit of butter
  • cctiger65
    cctiger65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    have you ever tried baked butternut squash?
    1 butternut squash
    2 teaspoons margarine
    a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg
    heat oven 425 degrees
    cut butternut squash in half length wise poke with fork several times 1 teaspoon of margarine for each half wrap in foil and bake for 45 minutes.or until tender. Take out scoop out the meat of the squash blend all meat together and enjoy
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I cut it up add garlic with parsley, teriyaki and soy and sautée till crisp tender. My fav is summer!
  • jeanie_ca
    jeanie_ca Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sliced about 1/4inch thick. Brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt. Grill until tender.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    thanks for the ideas :)

these were given to me, so i figured i would try them (my mom swears i ate squash as a kid though idr )

again ty for the replies, this is why i love MFP, you guys are awesome :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    bump for further reference

i wish i could get hubby to eat squash that way
    he thinks the only way to eat it is FRIED!!!:bigsmile:
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I love squash!!! I slice them up and add sliced zuchini too if I have it, slice some onion, sprinkle with a little pepper and some Mrs. Dash. Then either stir fry them with some cooking spray or bake in the oven in a sprayed pan. I prefer them baked, they are more firm.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i just cut it up into squash fries and bake them in the oven with olive oil and sea salt. :]
  • nukebhs83
    nukebhs83 Posts: 158
    Options
    i dont know what kind of squash you have but if it is the yellow crookneck squash--of course this recipe might work with other types as well-i just havent tried it-- here is a recipe that i cook and really love it.

2-3 squash--sliced
    1 yellow onion--chopped
    1 tbs butter or margarine
    1 can stewed or diced tomatoes
    seasonings---italian, garlic powder, pepper---all to taste
    spaghetti or other pasta
    parmesan cheese

saute the squash and onion in the butter until soft, add the can of tomatoes and seasonings and cook about 15 minutes while cooking the spaghetti or other pasta. serve this over the pasta and sprinkle with parmesan.

if you try the recipe--i hope you like it. of course--you can add any seasonings that you think would be good. also, i have added cut up baked chicken to it as well.
  • AMS430
    AMS430 Posts: 4
    Options
    Easier/faster way to cook a butternut, acorn or other hard squash.....

poke a few holes in the squash (like you would a potato) and microwave it for 5 minutes, remove it cut it in half scoop out the seeds, put back in the microwave with a little water in the bottom of the dish (a few tablespoons for steam) and microwave another 4-6 minutes (depending on size). Then remove and spray with spray butter and sprinkle with garlic pepper and a little parmesean cheese, or you can use cinnamon / nutmeg if you prefer.
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    This is late but I hope you grilled them. Grilled zucchini and squash is my absolute favorite thing in the warmer months.

Get a bowl for marinating, put some teriyaki sauce, honey, minced garlic, fresh ginger if you have it, toss in your chopped or sliced veggies and let sit for 30 minutes then grill them suckers. I always grill pineapple with it too.
  • sonyalear2012
    sonyalear2012 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I saute squash, red bell pepper, green bell pepper and a red onion with a little bit of extra-virgin olive oil and black pepper, yummy
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    That looks like a yellow summer squash, which is softer than an acorn or butternut. You can actually eat those kind raw with the skin, but veggies can almost always benefit from roasting.

cut into like size chunks, drizzle with olive oil, salt, & pepper, toss until coated, & roast maybe for 10-15 minutes at about 400 degrees in the oven.

or saute in a bit of olive oil like others have said
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to make it is cube up zucchini and yellow squash. Saute onion & tomato in olive oil until tomato softens. Add curry powder, salt and cayenne pepper. Add the squash & zucchini and cook until done. Garnish with cilantro.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    i dont know what kind of squash you have but if it is the yellow crookneck squash--of course this recipe might work with other types as well-i just havent tried it-- here is a recipe that i cook and really love it.

2-3 squash--sliced
    1 yellow onion--chopped
    1 tbs butter or margarine
    1 can stewed or diced tomatoes
    seasonings---italian, garlic powder, pepper---all to taste
    spaghetti or other pasta
    parmesan cheese

saute the squash and onion in the butter until soft, add the can of tomatoes and seasonings and cook about 15 minutes while cooking the spaghetti or other pasta. serve this over the pasta and sprinkle with parmesan.

if you try the recipe--i hope you like it. of course--you can add any seasonings that you think would be good. also, i have added cut up baked chicken to it as well.

this sounds yummy!!!:tongue: