Has anyone tried Intermittent Fasting??

Options
I just read an article on getthisripped.com on the subject and was curious if anyone has tried it? It sounds legit but I was curious if anyone can vouch for it other than the author of the article.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a magic bullet, but it can potentially make your life easier, but not worrying as much about eating x amounts of times per day

inb4ohnoesstarvationmode
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Yup ive tried it, especially when i was travelling often, theres several variations but i did a full day fast one every other week for a while, it was nice to have a "cheat day " before the fast. for me though i like 6-7 small meals a day just becasue i enjoy eating, results have been very similar between the 2 methods, good luck!
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    saves time, don't have to stop to eat for breakfast, can work through your lunch break, and then eat a massive supper and stay within your goals. not uncommon for me to eat 2,000 between 4 pm and 9 pm.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i use it when i am cutting... just because its easier to keep my macros in check when i cook up everything and eat it in one or two meals..

but as for the impact of it.. i wouldn't suspect that much difference between eating normally. it keeps me full at night.. i never have thoughts of binging.. seems to be helping me keep and even increase my strength in the gym.. but not really sure if thats the diet or what..

all in all.. its a really fun way to eat.

recommended to anyone
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for several months now. It just makes life easier :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Seeing as there is a whole group called "Intermittent Fasting" I would say, "Yes, people have tried it."
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    <
    I fast from 10pm to 2pm daily.
  • ssharomi
    ssharomi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So when do you have your last meal Heloitsdan? Does it matter what/when you eat between 2pm and 10 pm? Can you tell us some more about your routine? How long have you been doing this? What changes/results have you seen? Why did you decide to do this?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've read several websites that discussed it and an e book called Fast-5. It was on one of those sites that I read that it actually is quite difficult to put yourself into starvation mode and consume muscle. It's always seemed like a very simple and elegant method to me. I've never worked up to it -- there are various ways to do it --but I do often skip breakfast.

Here are some sites:

http://www.theiflife.com/intermittent-fasting-101-how-to-start-part-i/

http://www.fast-5.com/

http://www.eatstopeat.com/
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    Does myfitnesspall have an IF group?
  • snuggllepuff
    Options
    I've been doing it for a year now. it totally transformed me. I'm a lot more defined and actually gained muscle size. I even find that I have more energy when working out fasted.

I started off with one 36 hours fast but switched to two 24 hour fasts per week. I love it. I just have to make sure I eat enough on my non fasted days. I usually go like 300-500 cals over what MFP says to make up for the fast days.

I also have one cheat day per week. I think more people should seriously give it a try. It also really helps you realize the difference between actual hunger and bored snacking.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    So when do you have your last meal Heloitsdan? Does it matter what/when you eat between 2pm and 10 pm? Can you tell us some more about your routine? How long have you been doing this? What changes/results have you seen? Why did you decide to do this?

It'll be interesting to hear from Heloitsdan, but if you're doing IF by restricting your eating to one window a day, you usually eat healthy food, whatever you want. You might eat more than you would at a single ordinary meal, but you're supposed to eat to the point of satiety, not stuff yourself.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Yes there's an IF group on MFP...great people there.

I'm also shocked and impressed with the great responses here. They're well informed and honest. Usually by now there's been 72,000 'nooo you'll go into starvation mode and kill your metabolism' replies lol.

As for me...I began IF as a way to break a plateau, and do so while working 10hrs a day with no lunch break. I love it and would recommend it to anyone.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    I've been doing it for a year now. it totally transformed me. I'm a lot more defined and actually gained muscle size. I even find that I have more energy when working out fasted.

I started off with one 36 hours fast but switched to two 24 hour fasts per week. I love it. I just have to make sure I eat enough on my non fasted days. I usually go like 300-500 cals over what MFP says to make up for the fast days.

I also have one cheat day per week. I think more people should seriously give it a try. It also really helps you realize the difference between actual hunger and bored snacking.

On what days do you usually do your fasts? Do work out on those days? Do a lighter workout?
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Honestly I fast twice a year... I had NEVER heard of IF before though...

But I guess I kind of do this some days... if I'm understanding it correctly? Because some days I've had all my calories by 4PM which means no food for me from 4PM to 8AM the next morning... that's kind of a fast isn't it?
  • acrego
    acrego Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Every trainer I've ever used, every article, every book I have ever read, has pounded it into my head that eating breakfast when you wake up is CRITICAL, that is what jump starts your metabolism. I am in the practice of eating a substantial proportion of my daily calories (maybe 1/4) for my first meal. Then, logic follows that you should taper off as the day progresses, eating your smallest meal at least 2 hours before bedtime.

But here I am hearing people say that this really works for them, and everyone saying this, from what I can see in those itty bitty profile pics, looks ripped! Or thin!

And, I am not having much success as of yet. It's still early tho. Where can I go to research this more?
  • snuggllepuff
    Options
    I'm confused. Every trainer I've ever used, every article, every book I have ever read, has pounded it into my head that eating breakfast when you wake up is CRITICAL, that is what jump starts your metabolism. I am in the practice of eating a substantial proportion of my daily calories (maybe 1/4) for my first meal. Then, logic follows that you should taper off as the day progresses, eating your smallest meal at least 2 hours before bedtime.

But here I am hearing people say that this really works for them, and everyone saying this, from what I can see in those itty bitty profile pics, looks ripped! Or thin!

And, I am not having much success as of yet. It's still early tho. Where can I go to research this more?

Same as the whole myth about "6 small meals a day or your metabolism will slow down and you'll starve"

The pressure to eat a meal every few hours is what's making a lot of people fat in the first place. Sure it may work for some people, but a lot of people overeat that way.

It really doesn't matter how many meals or how big those meals are. It's your weekly caloric total that really matters in the grand scheme of things.

Part of the reason why people like to eat a big breakfast is because it fuels your entire day. But as long as you are getting the right amount of calories and macros in the grand scheme, times and frequency or meals aren't as important as every thinks.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I do it since january. Love it and make life easy for me.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    Yes there's an IF group on MFP...great people there.

I'm also shocked and impressed with the great responses here. They're well informed and honest. Usually by now there's been 72,000 'nooo you'll go into starvation mode and kill your metabolism' replies lol.

As for me...I began IF as a way to break a plateau, and do so while working 10hrs a day with no lunch break. I love it and would recommend it to anyone.

Do you have a link? I don't know how to find groups on MFP.

___
    FOUND IT.
  • mfpcopine
    Options

But I guess I kind of do this some days... if I'm understanding it correctly? Because some days I've had all my calories by 4PM which means no food for me from 4PM to 8AM the next morning... that's kind of a fast isn't it?

That's exactly how some people do it. They decide on a window. Yours closes at 4 p.m.