what is the most accurate way to measure body fat percentage

Options
I'm curious to know which is more accurate.

At the gym, my trainer used a BIA hand held device with a result of 22%

I recently purchased an Accu-Measure caliper with a result of 16.9% [one site test of the suprailiac].

Out of curiosity....

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/ - this military calculator resulted in 14.9%

vs

while their normal body fat cal
http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bf/ - resulted in 24.9%

What gives? Should I try some multi-point testing?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You can purchase calipers for $20!
  • fragilestrength
    Options
    You can purchase calipers for $20!

i am aware! i bought one, and included my measurement in the mix :)
  • lulucall911
    lulucall911 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I paid $4 for my calipers, make sure you measure more than one spot with the calipers (3 to 7 )
  • LoveyEstelle
    Options
    I honestly don't like the hand held device because it does read higher. But if you use the same method each time you check your body fat, you should be able to track your progress, just like you would use the same scale, at the same time of day, wearing the same clothes.

If you are wanting to really know you can google Fitness Wave to see if they are located near you. It is a mobile hydrostatic body fat analysis company. They submerged you under water to get the second most accurate way of reading BF%. The most accurate way is some machine used only at well known universities and hospitals.

I have a goal to reach 15% body fat so when I feel I am close, I will ditch the hand held device and do the hydrostatic.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    The chart that came with the accu-measure calipers told me mine was drastically lower than any other method I checked. I'd love to believe it but I don't.

I did a 3 skinfold measurement and got 25% -- my result with covert-bailey circumferences was 26%, my result with fat2fit's original circumference calculator was 27%, and the military circumference calculator was 30%. I'm figuring 25-30 is probably right. The accu-measure chart told me 21% :P
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Calipers : from someone to knows anatomy to someone who doesn't : up to 200% error margin ;-)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i think hydrostatic, dexa, or bod pod are the most accurate.

for at home use though, calipers may be your best bet.
  • fragilestrength
    Options
    the calipers give me the a low number. that is weeeeeeeeeeird. i dont trust haha :P