Desk exercise tips

Options
Does anyone have any desk exercise tips? They would be greatly appreciated....

Replies

• Brenna
    Brenna Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any desk exercise tips? They would be greatly appreciated....

Agreed!! That is a great idea.

I figure that standing (assuming you can still work) would be a form of excercise. Maybe tightening muscles in your legs.

There's always "active sitting" where you sit up completely straight and centered. It works your abs and back.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If you have enough space between your knees and the bottom of your desk, you can put a little mini-bicycle-pedal or mini-stair-stepper under your desk (about $15-$20 at walmart) Sometimes you have to angle the back a little to make it work while your feet are under your desk, but a book usually does the trick. :laugh:

You can also hold on to your desk and do chair-twists (not sure how many calories this burns, but it does give your abdominal muscles a little workout if you lift your knees up while you do it)

I can't think of any other "desk" exercises other than chair pushups (depends on your office setting/environment!) etc....

You can find ways to escape your desk though.... take a small glass with you, and every half an hour or 45 mins, go fill it up at the farthest water cooler in your office, but walk briskly.... make multiple trips to the printer... offer to pick up co-workers' printer materials or faxes... volunteer to be the "runner" to get whatever anyone needs if they don't want to leave their desk.... eat quickly to leave time to walk at lunch... I used to keep a pair of tennis shoes and clean socks in my bottom drawer and use them as much as possible. :smile:

edit: You can also get a pair of soft-cuff velcro ankle weights and do leg-lifts under your desk :bigsmile:
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My yoga teacher taught me an exercise you can do sitting down. This is to strengthen the Perineum (the space between the vagina and the *kitten*). The reason why one might want to strengthen this part of the body, is to help it support your abs (whole stomach area). In other words, when I went to her to get help with ab work, she added this to round out what I was doing for my abs. It is not to be confused with kegels (which is another good exercise). But the movement is similar. Just contract and release. If you can't figure out where it is (we rarely think of this space on our body) there are two things you can do. One contract vagina, and then *kitten*, and try to contract between the two; or Two, (and only if you're alone although I suppose it depends on your comfort level), put your finger on the Perineum (or a small piece of cloth there) so you can feel it while you're trying to contract the area. :blushing: It is a bit private, but no joke, this is a real exercise. And no one will know that you're doing it.
  • justmegan
    Options

edit: You can also get a pair of soft-cuff velcro ankle weights and do leg-lifts under your desk :bigsmile:

Yes! This worked really well for me in the past. I used to wear ankel weights everyday to work-- every bit of walking you do is amplified, of course, but it also motivated me to do a couple incognito leg lifts and sqauts and stuff. Even getting up on your tippy toes works your calves. Of course, it's not a TOTAL workout, but you'll start to feel stronger after a while... and every little bit helps.
    One other exercise that helped me at work was holding something heavy against my chest and rocking my body side to side to help narrow my waist (it actually works) Or you can hold the heavy object out in front of you to work your chest and do twists for obliques.
    Good luck all!
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be off topic, but I use an exercise ball as my desk chair, so I can bounce, or 'swing my hips', or to crunches or whatever all day long, and it's fun.

I started about 2 months ago. I did have some resistance from my boss, he outright said "no you can't use it', but I just grinned and said I was.

I could only use it for about 2 hours a day back then, and would swap back into my chair. Now I sit on it all day long. And my hips and stomach are no longer sore from sitting on it. And I no longer have any back pain - I used to suffer from lower back pain and also right beneath my shoulder blades.

I don't exercise all day, but when I have something to read, or when going through email, it's great!!!

And they are super cheep for a desk chair.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be off topic, but I use an exercise ball as my desk chair, so I can bounce, or 'swing my hips', or to crunches or whatever all day long, and it's fun.

I started about 2 months ago. I did have some resistance from my boss, he outright said "no you can't use it', but I just grinned and said I was.

I could only use it for about 2 hours a day back then, and would swap back into my chair. Now I sit on it all day long. And my hips and stomach are no longer sore from sitting on it. And I no longer have any back pain - I used to suffer from lower back pain and also right beneath my shoulder blades.

I don't exercise all day, but when I have something to read, or when going through email, it's great!!!

And they are super cheep for a desk chair.

What a GREAT idea!!! How big is your exercise ball, and where do you keep it when you swap it out for your chair? :bigsmile:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be off topic, but I use an exercise ball as my desk chair, so I can bounce, or 'swing my hips', or to crunches or whatever all day long, and it's fun. ...

What a GREAT idea!!! How big is your exercise ball, and where do you keep it when you swap it out for your chair? :bigsmile:

I can't claim it was my idea, I read about it during one of my many internet searches.

I use a 65 cm ball.

I have my own office that is also storage and work benches for lots of computer hardware, so I'd just toss the ball up on top of the stacks of old hardware (that I repair or take parts from) and it would lean in the corner.

Now that the chair is gone, I can just roll it under my desk when I get up to leave - I have a big corner desk.