question about macronutrients of MFP

Options
Hi everyone!
I have a question about breakdowns of macronutrients on myfitnesspal.
It just doesn't seem to add up...today, for example, I have put all my food in and it says I still need 83 calories to reach my goal for today. But, it breaks it down like this: Protien-4 grams, Carbs-3 grams and fat -1 gram.
If my knowledge is correct...isn't 1 gram of protien= 4 calories, and 1 gram of carbs =4 calories, and 1 gram of fat= 9 calories? If that is correct, then that equals 37 calories.
So, how am I short by 83 calories? It just doesn't make sense to me. Someone please correct me if I am wrong about how many calories these grams make.
Thanks!

Replies

• ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Option 1) Packaged products round calories, but not grams... and frequently aren't even that close to their actual calorie content.
    Option 2) There was a typo when whoever entered one (or more) of the items did the inputting.

If your macros are on target, call it good.
  • drewbransmama
    Options
    Well....that stinks! hahaha!
    So, what is it best to do? Meet your calories for the day? Or just meet all your macros for the day?
    Thanks so much for sharing that article!
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Well....that stinks! hahaha!
    So, what is it best to do? Meet your calories for the day? Or just meet all your macros for the day?
    Thanks so much for sharing that article!

I would worry about macros first, if you are + or - a few calories it will be ok
  • drewbransmama
    Options
    Thank you "Zombieslayer"....so....just worrying about meeting my macros? Even if I do come up short on calories? Have you done this and had it work out for you?
    I am just trying to be really accurate because I got to my goal weight and now want to maintain because I am going to be lifting. But, I kept going down...so I just today raised my calories. I don't want to loose anymore and don't really want to gain (unless it's gonna be muscle!)
    Thanks for your response!