Why does everyone congratulate on not meeting net calories?

Options
SPNLuver83
SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
If you are suppose to be reaching your net calories for healthy weightloss, why does everyone congratulate and therefore promoting not eating your caloric needs? I mean I can understand if you are like 100 or less away, but 300, 400, 500.... that's not good!!!! So why do I see it so often?

Replies

• CherylAnne1988
    Options
    its better then going over
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I guess most people want to give positive comments and don't want to give unsolicited advice about how many calories they "should be" eating.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    If you are suppose to be reaching your net calories for healthy weightloss, why does everyone congratulate and therefore promoting not eating your caloric needs? I mean I can understand if you are like 100 or less away, but 300, 400, 500.... that's not good!!!! So why do I see it so often?
    The problem in your question is the word "supposed." There is no "supposed." If someone is not legitimately starving themselves, then whatever calorie level they choose to eat is up to them. I would ask someone how many total calories they've eaten that day. If it's a reasonable amount, I'm not going to get all into their business.

No one is promoting or congratulating anyone for anything. They are acknowledging an adult's ability to choose how to lose weight. REAL Starvation is one thing. Not being psycho over net calories or exercise calories is something else.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    mheh. i dont pay attention to my net calories. i dont see what the big deal is. it doesnt make a difference for me. some days i have some pretty tough workouts and can burn close to 1000 calories in an hour. if i'm not that hungry then there's no way i'm going to eat the 1800 calories i regularly eat AND an additional 1000 on op of that just to make the net calorie graph even out :laugh:
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I congratulate my friends who are relatively close to their goal. I assume it's a goal for a reason.
  • Allison22451
    Allison22451 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    from what i understand its a generalized high-five for NOT going over.... and not so much a congratulatory thing to celebrate being malnourished.

im new...
    so i wont pretend to be an authority.
    but thats the overall vibe i get.

-a
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

I disagree, I've learned it's better to go over than to stay under.
  • MamaSonyaP
    MamaSonyaP Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If I can see my friends diary, and they are more than 300 cals under, I don't congratulate them...I let them know they should eat more. If they are less than 300, I say 'way to go', or 'yah!' for being so dedicated, and choosing healthy choices.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

i agree that ''less is good'' when it comes to calorie intake perception by many on mfp ( me included)...but how 'much' should the net calories be??? i read forum post after forum post and still confused...im now striving to eat my BRM calories, aggressive exercise days or not..
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    from what i understand its a generalized high-five for NOT going over.... and not so much a congratulatory thing to celebrate being malnourished.

im new...

-a

I agree with this. Plus for my friends, I'm more congratulating them on their food choices for the day in their diaries.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options

im new...

-a

This pretty much is spot on. It's a high five for staying under calories. For me personally, if I see repeated too low calorie days I might send a msg depending on the rapport I have with that particular friend.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I am the same as a few others, I congratulate if they are reasonably close, over or under. Otherwise I just don't comment.
    I was sick one day and had a whopping total of 450 calories, out of 1800, I had 3 people tell me "awesome job!". In those cases, I totally agree with you.
  • beckybernardo
    beckybernardo Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I dont think that anyone should judge someone else. We need to be supportive of everyone on here. We do not know everyones story and should not assume. I was on 1200 calories for a very long time and couldn't lose much, so I went to the bariatrics clinic and to my family doctor, they have put me on phentermine to keep me from getting hungry so that I do not overeat. It has been helping a lot. This is getting myself prepared for gastric bypass. So I am not too worried about my calories. I have two doctors that are watching what I am doing and I don't think they would have put me on this if it wasn't safe. If I am hungry I will eat, if not, I won't. Bottom line
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I support my MFP friends regardless!! It isnt up to me to decide how many calories per day they choose to eat and if they want advice etc. i'm sure they will ask me and their other MFP. for help.
  • redpat74
    redpat74 Posts: 33
    Options
    Because that is the way this system is set up. It doesn't say - Hey, great you consumed the number of calories you were supposed to today so in maybe five or six weeks your weight loss will show your dedication!!!!!!
  • dharma2012
    Options
    There were two calorie goal choices, one to lose a modest one pound (recommended) a week and another to lose more, the one to lose significantly more was very restrictive, I didn't think it was possible for me personally. I chose the more moderate, do-able goal, and celebrate when I come in under because I may lose more weight that week. I don't imagine most people are coming in under by a significant amount, if I come in under by 30 calories it says the same thing as 100... I don't think that getting a handle on eating and coming in a bit under your daily allowance is something that is so wrong to celebrate, particularly if you have friended someone and you know that over eating is their struggle and they are conqueoring it and taking control.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    On a side note, I didn't mean to be offense or judgmental or w/e. It's just that I have seen some people with eating disorders on here, who obviously are starving themselves, get congrats for going way under when that's so detrimental to their health. Yes, this place is about support, but isn't it also about keeping your friends in check so they don't hurt themselves? Like a "tough love" concept?
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    On a side note, I didn't mean to be offense or judgmental or w/e. It's just that I have seen some people with eating disorders on here, who obviously are starving themselves, get congrats for going way under when that's so detrimental to their health. Yes, this place is about support, but isn't it also about keeping your friends in check so they don't hurt themselves? Like a "tough love" concept?

None of my friends have ever gone so far under their calorie goal as to get even in the vicinity of being anorexic, but they're usually under a bit. My high five is for food choices, and for completing their log for the day.
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I disagree, I've learned it's better to go over than to stay under.

I agree. After 20+ years losing and gaining weight, I agree that over is better than under.
  • deenaspell
    deenaspell Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered that, too! Thanks for asking!