Produce Co-op?

Options
nixirain
nixirain Posts: 448 Member
Has anyone ever used a produce co-op in their area? I am thinking about trying it. I love to cook so I am hoping this will get me to eat a little more organic fruits and veggies

Thoughts?

Edit: If you don't know what it is, it's usually a small local organic market that gets tons of local produce and puts it in bins. You can usually get a full share (4-5 people) or half share (1-2 people) and you pick it up every 2 weeks. You do not pick what is in your bin, you just get what is good and what is in season. The cost in my area is $30 every 2 weeks for 1/2 share and $50 for a full share.

Replies

• nixirain
    Options
    No one? I thought with all the talk about eating organic whole foods around here at least some one would have done it before.

Thanks guys!
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've never done i but I have researched it. It's a good deal if you like vegetables. The only down side is that you usually have little control over which specific veggies you get. You get whatever comes in during the harvest. You could get 2 types of squash even if you hate squash.
  • MrsSki38
    MrsSki38 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've thought of doing one but my small family can be a bit fussy about veggies. We've got two great farmer's markets near us that we will start going to every Saturday again now that the weather is warmer. We buy all of our veggies/fruits, some meats and eggs from the markets. We may try to do a meat co-op this year.
  • nixirain
    Options
    I love most fruits and veggies! The cool thing I found out about this one is what ever you don't want they will take to local shelters and give to a family in need.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would if I could. I have been unable to find one in my area. So we are buying a small farm to raise our own. Who knows, maybe I'll start one.
  • nixirain
    Options
    I would if I could. I have been unable to find one in my area. So we are buying a small farm to raise our own. Who knows, maybe I'll start one.

There you go! I think its a super cool idea the more I think about it.
  • nixirain
    Options
    I just ordered it. I can't wait for my first bin!
  • K1mmer
    K1mmer Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am getting a half share for the first time this year. I love the idea and am happy to support the little guy. Our fam loves vrggies and I look forward to the variety I would not normally buy!
  • thebluefit
    thebluefit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been part of produce co-op for the past few years now. I did not continue for this year. I decided that since farmer's market is getting popular and easily accessible. it is better just to visit those and buy veggies that our family likes. The veggies that the co-op harvest most (at least in chicago area) contain a whole lot of root veggies like carrot, Celeriac, beets, and kohlrabi. Also whole lot of Kale. It is not that I don't enjoy these. But I found to be able to keep the veggies fresh. there is not too much green leafy veggies but whole lot of root ones or squash. Also, same veggies tends to harvest at the same time, so I was having really hard time cooking the same thing 2+ weeks straight. I think it would work better if I have more than 2 mouth to feed even on the half box size that I was getting. The plus side is that the veggies are fresh, organic, and add variety to your diet.
  • nixirain
    Options
    I am getting a half share for the first time this year. I love the idea and am happy to support the little guy. Our fam loves vrggies and I look forward to the variety I would not normally buy!

I feel the same way!! I hope we can eat the whole bin, but for $15 a week and I will help me plans some meals I think it will work out just fine.

We get alot of leafy greens here in Texas this time of year for some reason!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I am part of something that is sort of like a co-op kind of like a csa too. It's basically a company who partners with local (and non local) farmers. Every week we place an order for what we want and then bring it to us on a set day. (thursday) we always order the local produce box and that's about it, it's $40 per week. Spring, Summer, and Fall are awesome! A bunch of variety, but during the winter it got pretty boring with the same stuff over and over. They also have a box that's all organic. The main difference is: obviously the organic is all organic, most of it comes from california and various areas around me (DC area) the local produce box, not everything is organic. There is some organic stuff, but there is also, no spray and low spray. But because of the "organic" laws it is hard for small farmers to get certified. I love it! I think it's well worth the $40 per week, I get excited for Thursday's to come around to see what we are getting that week! Plus I love helping my local farmers. If you are by chance in the DC area- check out arganica.com That's the company.
  • nixirain
    Options
    I am part of something that is sort of like a co-op kind of like a csa too. It's basically a company who partners with local (and non local) farmers. Every week we place an order for what we want and then bring it to us on a set day. (thursday) we always order the local produce box and that's about it, it's $40 per week. Spring, Summer, and Fall are awesome! A bunch of variety, but during the winter it got pretty boring with the same stuff over and over. They also have a box that's all organic. The main difference is: obviously the organic is all organic, most of it comes from california and various areas around me (DC area) the local produce box, not everything is organic. There is some organic stuff, but there is also, no spray and low spray. But because of the "organic" laws it is hard for small farmers to get certified. I love it! I think it's well worth the $40 per week, I get excited for Thursday's to come around to see what we are getting that week! Plus I love helping my local farmers. If you are by chance in the DC area- check out arganica.com That's the company.

That sounds pretty cool! But I am in Dallas, TX. Not as fancy. lol! The one that we have here is called urban acres. http://urbanacres.wordpress.com/
  • TheMissingSock
    Options

we do something similar in the Seattle area, it's called Full Circle. However I don't have to make any decisions unless I want to change something they are going to send. they give me a list of what's in the next box and I have about 2 dozen options of what I can change it to.

I go in reverse, I get veggies then find good recipes to cook them. The kids are actually enjoying it too!
  • FitMissVicky
    FitMissVicky Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am involved in 2 CSA (community-supported agriculture) farms. One for veggies and one for beef. It's a great way of supporting small, local farmers as well as ensuring you get good quality food. Of course, you share in the risk as well as the bounty, so if you get bad weather or a spoiled crop it might affect the value for money, but we have been very happy with our shares. Glad you signed up!
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I like it part of the time and not so much at another. In the beginning it seems like a waste of money because the veggies are so limited. The apples really kind of stink unless you are going to be baking lots of pie! Honestly, for the money I like to go to the store and buy what I like instead of getting what they have at the time.

And another thought...When the local farmers markets start, I do much better there.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I do CSA every year, a box of fruits and veggies, eggs & cheese each week. $40 total for all for the full Season - May-December, that's $40 total in all not monthly, it's an incredible deal!!. I highly recommend it to anyone that has something like this available in their area! It helps the local farms and the farmers that have migrated from other Countries that are now growing their native produce in the US, which is awesome to try out new veggies that way! It's also a wonderful way to learn how to farm and get to know your local small farmers as you're able to tour and work at the farms if you like.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    It's Thursday! I got my box tonight: in it was, 4 tomatos, a small container of cherry tomatoes, 2 larges sweet potatoes, 4 apples, ramps, 2 heads of broccoli, 1 head of cabbage, 1 head of hydroponic watercress, bag of chinese mustard, 3 cucumbers all for $40!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's Thursday! I got my box tonight: in it was, 4 tomatos, a small container of cherry tomatoes, 2 larges sweet potatoes, 4 apples, ramps, 2 heads of broccoli, 1 head of cabbage, 1 head of hydroponic watercress, bag of chinese mustard, 3 cucumbers all for $40!

That actually seems kind of expensive. I realize things cost more based on the area you are in, but I could buy all that for half the price at the grocery and even cheaper at the farmer's market.