Easter potluck

Options
liscain
liscain Posts: 24 Member
So this is going to be my first Easter potluck
I say FIRST EASTER POTLUCK, because this isn't my first POTLUCK since I started using MFP.com
We had a Valentine's day potluck, but someone made a strawberry spinach salad and another person made a ceviche salad so I was easily able to stay under my calories as long as I stuck with the fresh fruit and salads, but I DEFINITELY stayed away from the deviled eggs and fatty/caloric stuff like that

PLEASE HELP!!!! Does anyone have some suggestions for an Easter potluck?
All I can think of is ham, scalloped potatoes and once again those deviled eggs which seem to pop up at EVERY potluck haha

Replies

• annebubbles
    annebubbles Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    make deviled eggs with Hummus & sprinkle paprika on top. :love: MOM
  • annebubbles
    Options
    Make a spinich & egg & turkey bacon cassorole with some cheese sprinkled on top.
    Chilli Relleno cassarole... Green ortega chillis & scrambled eggs & some cheese on top? (I seem to be having a cheese theme in these foods?)
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    OMG! Great idea, deviled eggs w/hummus!!

Are you asking what should YOU bring to the potluck? If so, bring something like that spinach strawberry salad, maybe put some chunks of chicken in it, raspberry vinaigrette, yum! Or sliced tart apple, whole wheat crackers and either laughing cow cheeses or some good sharp white cheddar. Or a black bean "mexi salad". Or tortilla wraps cut into "pinwheels".

Stick to your guns and have fun! Enjoy the company more than the food!!
  • liscain
    liscain Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I totally love your hummus deviled egg idea mom...you are a GENIOUS!
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I made some great broccoli slaw the other day. Slaw is one of those holiday meal staples for my family. I used light mayo, Splenda, and red wine vinegar for the dressing, tossed the pre-packaged broccoli slaw in it, and had a HUGE bowl for only 120 calories. I've come to learn that light mayo isn't the evil nastiness I remembered...lol
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I'm bringing fresh berries and greek yogurt to mine!
  • amazon75
    amazon75 Posts: 165
    Options
    i always associate sweet potatoes with ham. maybe a sweet potato casserole with splenda, almond milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and light margarine.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If you want a low cal dip or something use low fat cottage cheese as sub for dip or sour cream other wise there is some really great greek yogurt with cucumber garlic that you can use as a spread onto crackers butter.Instead of Ham I would do maybe turkey or chicken. Here are a couple websites that you could get some ideas from.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/easter_celebration
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Recipe for deviled eggs with hummus please!!! Are we talking mix the yolks with hummus, or replace the yolk with hummus?
  • pixiesx3
    pixiesx3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I always make something that I know I will like and will be a healthier option for me. ;) I did this at a Christmas potluck and my dish of roasted spaghetti squash was GONE but the mashed potatoes were still there! Hehe

How about slicing up some sweet potatoes and baking them like chips almost? They are quite yummy and a big hit!
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Noblegarden Chowder
    ½ lb Ground Beef
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    1 Celery Stalk, diced
    ¼ Onion, diced
    2 Garlic Cloves, minced
    10 ounces Carrots, shredded/matchstick
    2 cans Tomato Sauce
    ½ cup Sour Cream
    2 cups Vegetable Broth

Stovetop: Brown beef in a pot over medium heat Add salt, pepper, celery, onion, and garlic. Cook 2 minutes. Add carrots and cook 2 minutes more. Add tomato sauce, sour cream and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.

Crockpot: Add all ingredients to a crock pot/slow cooker. Cook 4-6 hours on high. Add water if needed.

^ Any kind of ground/chopped meat works. I've even done it with chopped mushrooms instead.
  • annebubbles
    Options
    to make my Hummus: (please keep in mind I don't measure so it always comes out kinda different)
    I use my food proccesser......

one can of Garbonzo beans (i use some of the water instead of using olive oil)
    one red bell pepper
    onion (just a small wedge)
    lemon juice
    tahini 1-3 spoonfuls depending on the fat content you're wanting
    garlic powder or roasted garlic (raw gets too overpowering)
    parsley or cilantro
    cayanne pepper
    ***most recipes say olive oil, I'd rather just eat some black olives on the side.
    you can also add black olives or sun-dried tomatos, which makes it really good too.