'Afterburn effect' and 30 DAY SHRED question

Options
Lyra89
Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
I've been reading a lot about the afterburn effect online, and am wondering if you'd achieve this from doing the 30 day shred?

I don't yet have a HRM but I'm guessing I burn (well, according to myfitnesspal etc) 150 calories for 20/25 minutes of circuit training, AKA the 30 day shred dvd.

My question is...am I burning fat for the hours that follow, as it says so many places on the internet?

Somebody please explain to me the science behind the afterburn and let me know the average/estimated amount of calories one would burn post-workout!

Spanks :wink: x

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Afterburn or EPOC is greatly overrated. It's usually a percentage of the calories you burned during the activity. If you burn 150 calories and were able to achieve a 10% afterburn, you only burned an additional 15 calories. Big whoop.

Links:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/research-review-effects-of-exercise-intensity-and-duration-on-the-excess-post-exercise-oxygen-consumption.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-versus-intervals-and-epoc-practical-application.html
  • shadena32
    Options
    I agree, I use a bodybugg monitor and with the warm - up and cool down for the 30ds i burn anywhere from 190 - 210 cals in the 27min workout (i time them) i burn only about 15 - 25more post work out.
  • robseven
    robseven Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree. Yeah, you're burning fat in the hours that follow, but it really isn't much. Afterburn only raises your metabolism by a few percent for a few hours (maybe a day or two if you did a long, super intense workout). However, every few percent matters. If you're working out intensely, you'll get an afterburn, which is a small but nice bonus.
  • scottstephens79
    scottstephens79 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor and I have found my experience to be similar to the others posted; after my interval/pulse (I'm jogging/sprinting in this particular case) I would burn about an extra 10% more calories in the lingering hours, BUT I am left super tired when my body finally does slow down later in the day and my heart rate dropped to a crawl as I power-yawned for the last few hours of my day.

So yes, it is a noticeable effect. Yes, your heart will thank you for a good workout. But (from my experience) you won't keep burning the extra calories for the next twelve hours, your body will shut down earlier for proper maintenance/repairs.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    you have a greater afterburn (imo) effect when doing HIIT training. Which 30ds wont get you there, as you need to be working anaerobicly.
    programs like turbofire, and insanity use the HIIT principle and you do burn a lot of calories.
    For example. Today I did insanity pure cardio. Where I burned 308 cals in the 38 mins. I also did kettleworx core, which is 26 mins, and if I do that just on it's own, I burn a whopping 80cals, so like bugger all. However today because I did insanity 1st I burned more calories (b/c of the afterburn effect), I pretty much tripled (more like 2.5x) the calories burned in that session alone
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    you have a greater afterburn (imo) effect when doing HIIT training. Which 30ds wont get you there, as you need to be working anaerobicly.
    programs like turbofire, and insanity use the HIIT principle and you do burn a lot of calories.
    For example. Today I did insanity pure cardio. Where I burned 308 cals in the 38 mins. I also did kettleworx core, which is 26 mins, and if I do that just on it's own, I burn a whopping 80cals, so like bugger all. However today because I did insanity 1st I burned more calories (b/c of the afterburn effect), I pretty much tripled (more like 2.5x) the calories burned in that session alone
    It really doesn't matter though. The EPOC is still a relatively small percentage. After doing HIIT, the afterburn is like 14%. If you burned 308 calories during your workout, then you would only burn an additional 43 calories due to afterburn.