I think carbs are my enemy...

Options
tafaye
tafaye Posts: 19 Member
Ok, so I have figured out I eat way to many carbs, specifically sugar. Granted I have a huge sweet tooth, but even days I stay away from the sweets I go over the sugar amount. I have noticed all the hidden sugars in so many foods. So. for the time being I am giving up bread and pasta. But I am not going to give up all whole grains. I am trying to figure out if I should limit my fruit intake, or if I should not count those sugars... any thoughts?

Replies

• jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I noticed huge changes once I started watching my sugar intake. I still eat fruits (mainly apples and all types of berries) but things like cereal, flavored yogurt and sugary snacks are out. I had a hugeeeee sweet tooth so the first few weeks were tough but after that, I've never felt better. As for carbs, I don't believe in cutting them but I do only eat whole grain and look for ones with high fiber as well.

--
    Follow my FB Fitness Page!
    Be stronger than your excuses: Recipes and inspiration for a healthier life
    www.facebook.com/excusesareeasy
  • Amberella_Angel
    Amberella_Angel Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge carb lover, too. :X I love my bread and I eat mashed potato sandwiches, green bean sandwiches...I love pasta with garlic bread, pastries...etc. I think the carbs is what's holding me back. I keep trying to cut carbs out but it never works. :/ I loved bread since I was a little girl.

As for sugar, I was never really into sweets. I do like the candy bar here and there, though.
  • tafaye
    Options
    One of the reasons I am cutting the bread and pasta is because of the sugars in them. So, I guess it is more the sugars I am worried about.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    /gasp! No way, no how could I give up my carbs. I give much applause to those who can do so and not feel deprived. But I've made it this far without giving them up, so I'm not about to sabotage myself by giving up something I would literally mourn. Good luck, ladies! (And I sincerely mean that!)
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I have figured out I eat way to many carbs, specifically sugar. Granted I have a huge sweet tooth, but even days I stay away from the sweets I go over the sugar amount. I have noticed all the hidden sugars in so many foods. So. for the time being I am giving up bread and pasta. But I am not going to give up all whole grains. I am trying to figure out if I should limit my fruit intake, or if I should not count those sugars... any thoughts?

You'll find ton of sugar in processed foods. Manufacturers also add sugar to most breads, rolls, and ketchup. Biggest of all... stay away from anything marked "fat free." Sugar was added to replace the flavor lost from the fat.
    As for fruit, as long as its fresh and whole (no juices), you're ok since you're getting the fiber that goes with it.
  • gigieatss
    gigieatss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    From the research I have done, I have found that fruit sugar is actually worse than regular glucose. Fructose (fruit sugar) is harder for our livers to process, thus it detracts from our livers doing other things to benefit us. If you over consume fructose, you may even wind up with Fatty-Liver. Now I am not saying eliminate ALL fruit... just monitor your consumption and stick to lower sugar fruits like citrus, apples, pears and berries.

http://youtu.be/5d4W4szaFwY
    http://gigieatscelebrities.com
  • tafaye
    Options
    From the research I have done, I have found that fruit sugar is actually worse than regular glucose. Fructose (fruit sugar) is harder for our livers to process, thus it detracts from our livers doing other things to benefit us. If you over consume fructose, you may even wind up with Fatty-Liver. Now I am not saying eliminate ALL fruit... just monitor your consumption and stick to lower sugar fruits like citrus, apples, pears and berries.

http://youtu.be/5d4W4szaFwY
    http://gigieatscelebrities.com

According to mfp I should only be eating 30(whatevers) of sugar a day and that is not even 2 piece of fruit, this is where I think I am confused on what to do.
  • CarlyRobbinsGilbert
    Options
    Counting carbs is a controversial topic on MFP, but it has a devoted following. Try checking out the low-carb group's forums. I can't always stick to it, but I'm a huge believer in the insulin factor!