Seriously Addicted to Some Foods!

Options
Any advice for getting through good old fashion food addictions? I love cheese. NO you don't understad, I really LOVE cheese. I eat hunks of the stuff, and all other food is really just a vehicle where by I get cheese into my mouth. I won't temp you with my extremely eloquent descriptions of cheese fries and patty melts and pasta dishes that make me literally happy when I eat them. Instead I will ask, how do you get your body to be satiated with lean fats like olive oil when it's used to double cheddar, bacon and ranch. Seriously any advice will be USED and appreciated.

Replies

• jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I had a hugeeeee sweet tooth. Never could turn down cookies or candy. Then I decided that until I could learn to control myself, I wasn't allowed to have it at all and if so, it would cost me. One piece of either equals $5 in a jar. No excuses, no getting around it. And the money can't go to be in the end. What did I find out the first few weeks in? I love money more than sweets! lol It has now been four months and I when I see sweets, I don't even have a desire to reach for it.The jar is still in effect and will be this entire year, although I probably don't need it anymore since the results have been an even bigger inspiration for me to not eat them!

--
    Follow my FB Fitness Page!
    Be stronger than your excuses: Recipes and inspiration for a healthier life
    www.facebook.com/excusesareeasy
  • carly_pear
    carly_pear Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Did someone say CHEESE? OMG....also my weakness....mouth watering right now. It tastes good on almost anything, it's greasy and you can buy it in all different colors. I still have not battled this yet....but I'm working on it. The only cheese I keep in the house now are the smaller bags of shredded "reduced fat" and cottage cheese. This way I'm not tempted to go cut a hunk off of a block of it. I'm sure this helped you in no way but I want you to know you are not alone......I truely wonder what weight I would be today if I didn't like cheese. :)
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I wish my addiction were cheese rather than sugar/wheat, lol.
    I hardly ever have cheese in except cottage cheese, and when I did get into cheese a bit, it was only some stilton or cranberry wensleydale (which at 340 cal/100g wasn't too bad actually). I could never eat masses of either. I love mozzarella though and used to have a few balls of that around.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I cannot keep ice cream in the house. If it is here, I am powerless. :grumble:
  • erkss
    erkss Posts: 11
    Options
    MANGO.
  • shellsie_j
    shellsie_j Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I hear you loud and clear. Cheese WAS my favourite food and yes, as you said, other foods were just a vehicle to eat it (very funny). Now I just add Kraft Parmesan to EVERYTHING. It is so low in calories and makes hot food very cheesy. Do try it, I promise you will not be disappointed. Even just added to plain old vegies with a bit of chilli sauce or whatever you like.
  • Kwint
    Kwint Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I got over my addiction to all foods the day my doctor told me I had to lose weight or have a shorter life. It was pretty much a no brainer. I don't buy cheese or put it on food in restaurants. If it's not around it's easier to resist - just like cake, cookies, ice cream, potato chips, all the things I craved. Maybe when I knock off 50 lbs I'll give myself a little treat now and then, if I know I can burn it off.
  • shellsie_j
    shellsie_j Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Oh and I wanted to say. Forget about the low-fat cheese. You may as well add a handful of sawdust to your food, waste of money in my opinion.
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    I love cheese too. I fight my cravings day to day and just splurge on the fancy stuff occasionally.
  • lisapisa1
    lisapisa1 Posts: 115
    Options
    I want to eat a warm melty grilled cheese just reading this thread! If you can't completely cut it out in order to overcome it, then try to only keep 'better" cheese choices around. Babybell and Laughing Cow are great options and since individually packed help with portion control. String cheese is also great for this and at my grocery store they even have little individual rectangles of cheddar that I'll sometimes pick up to satisfy a cheese craving.
  • Kwint
    Kwint Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I got over my addiction to all foods the day my doctor told me I had to lose weight or have a shorter life. It was pretty much a no brainer. I don't buy cheese or put it on food in restaurants. If it's not around it's easier to resist - just like cake, cookies, ice cream, potato chips, all the things I craved. Maybe when I knock off 50 lbs I'll give myself a little treat now and then, if I know I can burn it off.

Another factor is that most cheese is loaded with sodium. If you have high blood pressure, like I do, cheese is not on the OK list.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I keep LOTS of really strong peppermint gum all around the house. Most times when I'm going through an intense craving..I'll put 5 or 6 pieces of gum in my mouth and chew and chew. That usually takes care of the craving...and if it doesn't..I'll give in and feed the craving...HOWEVER...the mint taste totally interferes, and the food I gave into tastes HORRIBLE, so I'll spit it out...ewwww

Now...with that being said....NUTELLA is a whole "nuther" story :drinker:
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    When I find myself thinking about food too much, or craving something, I repeat too things to myself:

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."

"Don't let today's moment forsake tomorrow's dream."

When you eat something you're really craving, it tastes awesome and makes you feel good, then you finish it. You want that feeling back, so you eat more, and more and more. You've just got to break that cycle and concentrate on your goals.
  • shanique73
    Options
    That's pretty cool!
  • shanique73
    Options
    Thanks Shelsie_i,
    I will try that, cause I really believe fat free cheese is a sin. I rather go without than eat that fake plastic stuff. Haha, I have tried Sargento's reduced fat cheese and it's not too bad!
  • TabbyKatzzz
    Options
    My husband is also addicted to cheese. He cannot go a day without it, still.
    A food scale can be your best friend.
    He eats cheese everyday, weighs it and logs it in his diary.

Changing your lifestyle does not mean living without your favorite things, we just have to adjust the portions.