Red Pepper Suggestions?

Options
A friend posted about peppers...and now I want red peppers. I am gonna get some tomorrow at the store (I have to get a few things for Easter anyway)....the question is....what should I *do* with these peppers? I prefer them at least slightly cooked, not a huge fan of raw....I am also not really a meat eater....

So, what do you suggest? Any good recipes to contribute?

Replies

• bobcooks920
    Options
    I make a vegetarian red beans and brown rice.

Needed:

1T extra virgin olive oil
    2 bell peppers, any color, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    15 oz can diced tomatoes, liquid included
    2 15 oz cans of red beans, liquid included
    1 bay leaf
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Tabasco to taste

Prepare brown rice according to package instructions.

Heat olive oil in a skillet over high heat.
    Add onion, peppers, and saute til soft.
    Add the tomatoes, beans, and bay leaf, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
    To serve, remove bay leaf, and toss with brown rice.
    Add salt, pepper, and Tabasco to taste.

Hope this helps.
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I make stuffed peppers... cut the tops off... use leftover brown rice and mix with tomato sauce (like spaghetti sauce or something) add some veggies (broccoli, onion) seasoning (garlic, s&p, italian seasoning), stuff each pepper and sprinkle with light parmesean cheese/light cheddar, pop in oven till it's heated through and cheese melts. :)
  • whoiskat23
    whoiskat23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Not sure what beans and rice have to do with red peppers, :laugh: , but you could look for some type vegetarian stuffed pepper recipe. I do mine with ground turkey, so I'm not sure what to tell you. :flowerforyou:
  • whoiskat23
    Options
    [quot
    Not sure what beans and rice have to do with red peppers, :laugh: , but you could look for some type vegetarian stuffed pepper recipe. I do mine with ground turkey, so I'm not sure what to tell you. :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

Actually you could put the beans and rice in the pepper. That would work also. Yum!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Stuffed peppers was a great idea they are super good. I also cut mine up and saute a bit with onion and put on top of pizza or just eat as a side dish. If you steam them they loose some of that "raw" about them. Then you can use as a base for a sandwich to put other items on. I do that with tuna/egg salad but if you don't eat those I'm sure you have other things you like on sandwiches.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    you could lightly fry, them with a few other veggies, thickened with a little corn starch, and serve over rice or mashed potatoes.

I normally do it with; green onions, part of a bell pepper, peas, and corn.

though anything would work, use your imagination and test and see what you like and don't like.
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am very pro-corn...that sounds pretty good to me.
  • whoiskat23
    Options
    Don't know how I forgot this.... roasted red pepper soup! Delish! :love:
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options
    I would cook some up with onions, grilled chicken and pineapple and serve over brown rice. In fact, I may make that this weekend!
  • theNurseNancy
    Options
    Stirfry all the way. Or slice thinly and add to some other recipe you have. Or dice and add to a soup.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    I usually roast them with a bit of salt and pepper with some onions and chicken. If you don't like chicken, you could substitute that for whatever else you like.
  • seanwebster
    seanwebster Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thinly sliced peppers and onions, with some noodles and peanut sauce. As long as you go light on the peanut butter in the sauce it's not a calorie bomb. It's good warm, better cold.

Or, simpler, small-diced in scrambled eggs.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I put them in just about anything - stir fries, bolognaisse sauce, meatballs, fried rice, scrambled eggs, omelettes, steamed in a parcel with fish (plus ginger, brocolli, sesame oil, soy sauce), roast veggies, salads (roast them first if you don't like them raw), veggie muffins... actually I can't think of much that I wouldn't add them to.