My Feet Swell...Help !!!

Options
Lately (for the past FEW mths) my feet have began to swell and my Ankles..and its not every few days anymore; its almost Everyday!

I was told I (maybe) eat to much salt and retaining water but I cut back on my salt and No change and now even My calves feel ......Knotted or Numb...its hard to explain.and my knees hurt (from weight gain probably)...i cant walk or stand for long periods of time which makes it even harder to exercise!!!

SUGGESTIONS PLZ !!! (mainly for the feet and ankle swelling)

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    be more active, watch your salt and drink my water. if you have access to a pool, try walking or running in the water since that will help on your knees

or you can use a recumbent bike, elliptical or rowing machine
  • dsbride1
    dsbride1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you had your blood pressure checked? My husband had that problem, found out his pressure was too high, took prescription pills and the swelling went down. Naturally he has to watch his salt intake too.
  • demi59
    demi59 Posts: 7
    Options
    Watch the sodium that is in your foods, lunch meat, hot dogs and any fast food are so high in sodium.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Have you contacted a doctor? That would be my first thing.
  • teresacc26
    teresacc26 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I havent contacted my doctor yet...im going to go see him Monday and see what he can do..Ive heard of the Water Pills they give U but would he still give them to me if my blood pressure is not up whenI go in???
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Most importantly... see your doctor as foot and ankle swelling and leg pain can be sign of serious illnesses. (Glad you already planned that.) Hope it's not anything too serious, in which case...

Try drinking more water.
    Increase the circulation in your legs. Too much sitting might contribute to this swelling, and can potentially cause serious blood clots. (And getting up to walk around is good for you anyway. :smile: )
    Put your feet and legs up. If it's comfortable, lie on the floor or your bed with your feet on the wall. The closer you move your tushie to the wall, the higher you can put your feet.
    I forget, but you may need more calcium or potassium?
  • rockerbaby2003
    rockerbaby2003 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would reduce the sodium, drink more water, and take an aspirin to help thin the blood. Try to move your legs around more, even if just going for a short walk, also swimming is great too! Take advantage of the hot tub if you go swimming, it will help with the soreness, watch out for the damaging effects of chlorine though, take care of your nails and moisturize your skin. Also try stretching your legs out, roll your feet on some tennis balls and prop your feet up as often as you can.

If you are concerned with your BP, go into Walmart or a large pharmacy and they usually have free testers there that can give you an idea, write it down and share with your doctor.