Sugar Cravings

Options
Does anyone know how to get rid of horrible cravings for sweets? I'll go without cookies, cupcakes for a week or so, then crave them something awful and binge eat almost a whole bag of cookies in one sitting! Why am I not satisfied with only 1 cookie? Better yet, how can I get off this sugar binge? I get weak and shaky if I don't have something sweet during the day. I'm afraid I'll end up a diabetic if I keep this up. The bakery section at the grocery store is now my enemy!! Help!!

Replies

• melissa7662
    melissa7662 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have heard that CoQ10 is good to use for sugar cravings..
    Hope this helps
  • LisaRose54
    LisaRose54 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will definitely look into this.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Hello, I was in that same boat myself! Kind of still am, I'm not sure you are ever cured. I did end up being a diabetic, but now under control. I switched to sugar free everything, candy, cookies, soda, although I don't eat much of any those. I had to tell myself: One cookie is one too many. At least for me, a bad choice leads to more bad choices. I have ate a whole bag of oreos in one sitting! :sick:
    One way to start is instead of buying a bag of cookies, if you can not resist, go to the store and buy ONE! Anyways, good luck on your battle, you can win!
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I used to crave very unhealthy foods in very unhealthy portions ALL. THE. TIME.

The only way I taught myself to 'unhook' from that OCED (Obsessive Compulsive EATING Disorder, lol) is to literally keep the foods out of reach. I treated my 'cravings' as an annoying child whining to get their way.
    Just like a child always wants snacks and cookies and will literally never stop eating them if you take them away and put them on the highest shelf, as much as they cry and moan they will eventually stop.

The reason this works is because you are disassociating bad foods with positive feelings and re-associating bad foods with negative feelings. If you remind yourself that they are 'sometimes' foods and it is not OK to eat them all the time, eventually you will get to a point where these 'cravings' become nothing but whispers.
  • skichick1968
    Options
    I have HORRID sugar cravings, especially at like 10 o'clock at night. I'm convinced that due to my own chemical and hormonal make-up that I am truly addicted. So guess what breaks an addiction?...2-3 weeks of no sugar. If I can substitute berries with fat free whip cream, or take ricotta cheese and blend with some vanilla and sugar substitute, it helps. I also can't buy anything. I tried to buy Double Stuff Oreos and eat like 2 a day. Uh, huh...that lasted 3 days and the package was gone. I also drink chocolate protein shakes to help my sweet tooth. Once you have it under control, it gets easier to stay away. It will also be easier to take small indulgences.

If I avoid sugar I lose weight. If I eat sugar (even staying within my calorie range) I won't. Also avoid the "bad" carbs. If I eat cereal or breads then I crave more baked goods. You'll have to find your own unique combo of foods to combat it. Dark chocolate can help too.

The shakes may be from hypoglycemia (I also have that). Where I swear the only thing to get rid of it was a Snickers bar! Since I've gone low carb I don't get the shakes, the sweats and or become very grouchy (at least from THAT!) ;)

Hope some of my own personal experiences help!
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Sugar is like tobacco. You body becomes addicted to it. I have a horrible sweet tooth myself! Here are some little sweet treats I have eaten that are amazing and not bad on the calories......

1) Tootsie pop = 60 calories
    2) Sugar free gum = 5 calories
    3) Sugar free jelly bellys = 80 calories (35 pieces)
    4) Butterscotch Hard candy (branch's) = 24 calories (per piece)
    5) Strawberry filled hard candy (branch's) = 17 calories (per piece)

Hope I helped :smile:

(feel free to add me if you need support!)

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna
  • Vanishes
    Vanishes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I feel like part of the problem could be the way you are budgeting your sugar.

If you get weak and shaky that is a sign your blood sugar is low, and it should be addressed with a snack. Though you should not eat too much sugar, you NEED some sugar...and it should be balanced in your body throughout the day.

I have found the best way to combat binges is to predict them. Just like with eating if you wait to eat your first meal at the end of the day, you will likely binge eat everything and make unwise choices. That is why it's best to eat every couple hours, and you'll find that you can control your hunger more all throughout the day, and make better decisions. You won't feel the need to binge if you eat on time, you won't give you body a chance to freak out and want to eat everything, because you will provide it with what it needs.

Same goes with sugar. You should allow yourself a certain amount of sugar each meal, even if a small amount, or every other meal. Also, if you work out, it's best to eat sugar after a workout (helps get protein to your muscles). So, if you want to fail with sugar after working out is best.

You shouldn't just not have sugar, just try to budget it better and spread it throughout your day. Also, make good choices with sugar, like fruit. Fruit has a lot of sugar, but it's better to get it from that then something like cookies etc.
  • Ronnvee
    Ronnvee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I get weak and shaky and have to eat NOW!! when my blood sugar gets low - since following low GI diet principles (in general) these 'crashes' have pretty much disappeared. Missing meals, not eating enough protein and being dehydrated all mess with my blood sugar and crashes manifest themselves as major sugar cravings.

Perhaps look at what you are eating, add some more protein, and/or keep a small snack of some nuts and dried fruit at hand if the cravings surface - the dried fruit will deal with the immediate sugar requirement and the nuts should prevent the crash after the sugar hit from the fruit wears off.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I feel like part of the problem could be the way you are budgeting your sugar.

If you get weak and shaky that is a sign your blood sugar is low, and it should be addressed with a snack. Though you should not eat too much sugar, you NEED some sugar...and it should be balanced in your body throughout the day.

I have found the best way to combat binges is to predict them. Just like with eating if you wait to eat your first meal at the end of the day, you will likely binge eat everything and make unwise choices. That is why it's best to eat every couple hours, and you'll find that you can control your hunger more all throughout the day, and make better decisions. You won't feel the need to binge if you eat on time, you won't give you body a chance to freak out and want to eat everything, because you will provide it with what it needs.

Same goes with sugar. You should allow yourself a certain amount of sugar each meal, even if a small amount, or every other meal. Also, if you work out, it's best to eat sugar after a workout (helps get protein to your muscles). So, if you want to fail with sugar after working out is best.

You shouldn't just not have sugar, just try to budget it better and spread it throughout your day. Also, make good choices with sugar, like fruit. Fruit has a lot of sugar, but it's better to get it from that then something like cookies etc.

Oh, I also agree on what she is saying :smile: ^^
  • LisaRose54
    Options
    Thanks for the input and support guys. I know I can break this habit.
  • shellimus
    shellimus Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I get weak and shaky and have to eat NOW!! when my blood sugar gets low - since following low GI diet principles (in general) these 'crashes' have pretty much disappeared. Missing meals, not eating enough protein and being dehydrated all mess with my blood sugar and crashes manifest themselves as major sugar cravings.

Perhaps look at what you are eating, add some more protein, and/or keep a small snack of some nuts and dried fruit at hand if the cravings surface - the dried fruit will deal with the immediate sugar requirement and the nuts should prevent the crash after the sugar hit from the fruit wears off.

^^This is the same for me. I also find that the more nutritious the food I eat, the less cravings I have. I have come to think that cravings are my body's way of saying it needs more foods high in vitamins, minerals, protein, water and fiber.
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Fruit... yogurt???
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Read your labels for sugar grams. And don't eat a large amount of fruits (high in sugar). You can eat vegetables and get many of the same nutrients, less sugars. Milk is incredibly high in sugar. Stay away from cereals and most baked goods. If you go a full 3 days with low sugar intake, that may help the cravings, as I consider sugar to be a true addictive substance.

There are plenty of books out there about sugar addiction to look at too that may have helpful tips.

It's not a very healthy option, but an option, nonetheless, to eat sugar-free chocolate candy for those extra difficult times. Dove, Reeses and Russell Stovers make good ones.

Sometimes I will make Cinnamon Apple Tea and put Truvia in it (as opposed to sugar) and sip on it when I'm craving sugar... or just eat something healthy and drink a glass of water and wait it out a bit.

Best of luck!
  • HIITTheChallenge
    HIITTheChallenge Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Vitamins b6 and b12. Usually if you have cravings it is because your diet is lacking a vitamin. Also, flaxseed oil and fish oil will help you stop craving other things bad for you and also promote lean muscle mass.
  • m0dizzle
    m0dizzle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am a sweet fiend, but I've found healthier-still sweet options. Cinnamon raisin bagel thins are good and sweet, flavored coffee creamer, sweet yogurts- wal mart makes a great banana cream pie that comes in light and is heavenly. Also, light wheat bread with margarine and cinnamon with a pinch of sugar is really sweet. Skinny cow makes some great ice creams at around 100 cal each
  • Fourmenandalady28
    Options
    OMG, it feels like you took the words out of my mouth and created this post. Thank you, because I need help in this area as well!
  • graycaro
    graycaro Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Berry smoothies have really helped with my sugar cravings lately. They aren't full of calories, but they satisfy me just like the sweets used to!

Good luck!
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Honestly... it takes me about 2 weeks before the sugar craving goes away. BUT -- it DOES go away! Once it does... I can sit next to someone with a piece of cake and not care to have any...

When I am re-getting off of sugar - (such as currently) - I use sugar free jello and sugar free popcicles. Found sugar free cool whip to go with the sf jello which is great! I drink lots of water and keep ALL the sugary stuff away... as in - not in my house, not in my office... Once I get to day 15, I am usually pretty good. And, the benefit is at that point, if I try any sugary sweets - it pretty much makes me feel sick and/or sugar high from the tiniest portion. So, then it's not worth it anyway.

Now, of course, as I said "re" getting off of sugar, I do occasionally indulge and then I end up going through the cravings all over again! But... pretty much every time it's just 2 weeks to hold out and then it's easier.

I am not diabetic... but, I find that I do much better without all the sweets, and my losses are much better. So, I try to stick to natural sugar(s) most of the time - fruits, veggies, etc. I was warned that your body can often process... wait, try that over, your brain can think that the fake sugars in sugar free candy/cakes/etc. that it's actual sugar - so be careful just how much you have. But, I don't know all the scientific stuff and don't want to be quoted and bashed in a thread... so, just know that was a warning that I received from someone with some background in nutrition.

BUT - the reason that I do it... is that I like the results and I love, LOVE not craving and then feel like I am depriving myself. I don't ever want to feel deprived - so by eliminating the sugary sweets and thereby eliminating the cravings... I don't want them and don't feel deprived. It's my philosophy and it works for me!
  • LisaRose54
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts everyone. I think I'll forgo the cereals I eat in the morning. Usually, I have Kashi Autumn Wheat cereal with fresh strawberries but I never feel satisfied afterwards. I'm going to try protein in the mornings and see what happens. It should be a better way to start my day. :smile:
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I believe that is just a mental thing. Cravings from real hunger is very different. Cravings happens even when body is full, just because you thought about something that you really liked. Personally when I am having cravings, I get my mind to something else or make a sugar free creamy protein shake which tastes really like chocolate (even better). Problem solved for me. The beginning is hard, but once you constantly refuse to give in to your cravings it will be much easier in the pass of time. Craving is just another form of addiction.