When should I stop eating?

Options
I've been under my calorie goal the last few days and that thing pops up saying that my body will go into starvation mode and prevent me from losing weight if I keep this up. But it's already 8 o clock at night and I'm still fairly full from dinner. Should I eat something small right now or is it too late and I just need to make sure I hit the goal earlier in the day?
I'm not starving myself. I eat whenever I'm hungry-just not very high calorie foods I guess. Plus I try to save enough calories for dinner. Then dinner rolls around and I don't end up needing all the rest. Is my body going into starvation mode and making weight loss counter productive even if I feel fine/have plenty of energy? Today I've had 1028 calories and burned probably 200 in exercise. My target is 1200.

Replies

• lisa46219
    lisa46219 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Great question. I am often under my calorie goals, but due to my job, I get home later and don't want to eat 500 or 600 calories after I've had dinner- especially since I'm not hungry. Is it better to be under the net calories and not eat to fill the requirements just before I go to bed? Or should I be eatting just to eat?
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Your target is 1200+exercise calories, so today you should have aimed for around 1400. Try eating a spoon of peanut butter (or two spoons) to boost the calories a little. If this is the norm, then do this frequently. If this is not the norm, then I'd say don't worry about it. Your body won't instantly go to this "starvation mode" with one or two days down...
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter WHEN you eat, it only matters HOW MUCH.

EAT AS CLOSE as you can get to your goal.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    a couple of days now and then going that far under won't hurt, just like going over once in while won't hurt. But you do need to try and stick close to your goal, be accountable for it and eat healthy. Protein type snacks are good. Peanut butter, protein powder drinks etc. I try and have at least 2 snacks (fruit, veg, fiber bar etc) during the day plus another one (I won't give up desert) after dinner. Sometimes it is just a cookie, or yogurt.
  • morningbell
    morningbell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think you should set your calories a little higher and then exercise to get to your daily goal. If you know that you are not going to exercise, then eat the regular 1200 calories. If you know you are going to work out, eat a little extra so that the net calorie intake isn't so low. Also, fluctuate your calories every other day so that your body does not get use to the same thing.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

^ This! There's times when I eat dinner at 8pm or even later. Some people are afraid of eating after, say, 6pm... but I really believe that's a silly myth. I've been losing weight even with late night snacking. As long as you're not stuffing your face with Big Macs at midnight, you should be fine eating a light snack to fill your calorie void.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Just what works for me...
    I usually pre-log all my meals to be sure I'll come close to my non-exercise calories with my regular meals, then work in the extras I know I'll be burning with a pre- and post-workout snack, fueling my body for the work it's doing so I start and finish strong. I've been at this long enough that I have a pretty good idea how much I'll be burning with whatever workout I choose.
    This also keeps me within my calorie goals if for some reason I need to skip a workout on any given day - I'm able to also skip the pre- and post-workout snack.
    Also, I typically don't even start making dinner until 8pm. Like someone else said, it's not when, it's how much...
  • eschwab855
    eschwab855 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

^ This! There's times when I eat dinner at 8pm or even later. Some people are afraid of eating after, say, 6pm... but I really believe that's a silly myth. I've been losing weight even with late night snacking. As long as you're not stuffing your face with Big Macs at midnight, you should be fine eating a light snack to fill your calorie void.
    you can stuff your face with big macs at mid-night as long as you are under calories in vs calories out
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat/stop eating. I eat all of my calories between 2 and 10 pm, and I've lost 40 pounds. Try to add more calorie dense foods in, and perhaps log the day before so you can sufficiently plan out what to eat. It will make it easier to reach your calorie goal.
  • brownsquirrel09
    brownsquirrel09 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    From what I've learned thus far, It's better to forgo eating late at night because you're about to go to sleep so your body will have nothing better to do with that food than turn it into fat (ick). I'd recommend eating more during the day in either your normal meals or some little snacks. Don't worry so much about going over the 1200 calorie limit. I actually have my counter set to "maintain my current weight" and I aim to stay below that. Plus it is much easier for me to do the math for how much I should be losing (every 3500 calories of deficit I have = 1 pound ish). There's also a lot of research showing it's better to eat more than just 1200 calories a day anyways and this can be calculated easiest on this website: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ use the military body fat calculator then the BMR calculator to find out where you should really stand on your calorie intake. They explain it well
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    From what I've learned thus far, It's better to forgo eating late at night because you're about to go to sleep so your body will have nothing better to do with that food than turn it into fat (ick).

That is flat out wrong. Your metabolisim works 24 hours. It doesn't suddenly go 'oh it's 10pm I must convert everything to fat!' It's a load of tosh.

Some people prefer not to eat later because it makes them uncomfortable when sleeping. Others need to eat before bed otherwise they have issues. It's personal preference but eating later will not make you gain weight nor will it become fat.
  • Cheshire_Kat
    Cheshire_Kat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    From what I've learned thus far, It's better to forgo eating late at night because you're about to go to sleep so your body will have nothing better to do with that food than turn it into fat (ick).

That is flat out wrong. Your metabolisim works 24 hours. It doesn't suddenly go 'oh it's 10pm I must convert everything to fat!' It's a load of tosh.

Some people prefer not to eat later because it makes them uncomfortable when sleeping. Others need to eat before bed otherwise they have issues. It's personal preference but eating later will not make you gain weight nor will it become fat.

Well Said!